Affordable bolt action

peterk1234

My daughter would like to get an affordable, but good, bolt action rifle for her soon to be husband. I am leaning toward a 30-06 because of the versatility and great reloading options. What models would you guys lean toward? I was thinking Savage Axis Hunter, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot. Many come scoped with a vortex scope and with a total cost in the $500 range. They are moving to Montana soon so this is a do everything gun. Hope you guys like my caliber choice. Thx Pete

I don't think you can go wrong with the Ruger American or the Savage Axis. Possibly T/C Compass (Kentucky Gunworks sells the heck out of the sometimes for less than $300). EuroOptic has the Mauser M18. Possibly find a Rem 700 ADL out there for cheap.

I know nothing of the Mossberg so they don't make my list.

I think you are on target with those choices if you are looking for a sub 500 package. I am partial to Savages (I shoot a 110 in 30-06) and 30-06 myself. If it were me and I was looking at the Axis I would definitely go with the Axis II to get the accutrigger. Is $500 the top end?

I'd go with either the Savage first, and the Ruger second. Just me though. And I'd probably go 7mm-08 🤷‍♂️

Two of my most used and preferred rifles were purchased used for a fair price and are in 30-06. I suggest looking for good used firearms. You may find some great deals that can get her a quality rifle that won't brake the bank. YMMV

I don't think you can go wrong with the Ruger American or the Savage Axis. Possibly T/C Compass (Kentucky Gunworks sells the heck out of the sometimes for less than $300). EuroOptic has the Mauser M18. Possibly find a Rem 700 ADL out there for cheap.

I know nothing of the Mossberg so they don't make my list.
I have handled the M18 recently and was very impressed. I think they are just over $400 there right now for the gun alone.

I bought my dad a Savage Axis a couple years ago for $180 after rebate for him to use as a backup whitetail rifle. It shoots just under 1" groups at 100 yards.

Sportsmans Warehouse has them on sale for $220 after rebate right now (if you can find one in stock...) and it comes with a Bushnell 4-12x40mm scope. Remount the scope with some Talley rings and it'll be a huntable setup for about $260.

I agree with the 30-06. Its the most boring cartridge there is but you can hunt everything in North America with it.

I’ve got 3 savage axis and they are A great gun for the price very accurate we have never had any issues with them right now academy and Cabela’s have them on sale and savage has a $75 rebate you can get the axis xp which is the package with the scope for around 250 after the rebate

I bought my dad a Savage Axis a couple years ago for $180 after rebate for him to use as a backup whitetail rifle. It shoots just under 1" groups at 100 yards.

Sportsmans Warehouse has them on sale for $220 after rebate right now (if you can find one in stock...) and it comes with a Bushnell 4-12x40mm scope. Remount the scope with some Talley rings and it'll be a huntable setup for about $260.

I agree with the 30-06. Its the most boring cartridge there is but you can hunt everything in North America with it.

I'm very bored with my 30-06...

FWIW a friend was having troubles with his Ruger American printing all over the place. I checked it out yesterday and all of his factory installed optic mounts were loose. I torqued everything down and it prints 3/4" groups using factory ammo (Federal 130 6.5creedmoor) with boring regularity. I'm not a real fan of the stock but it seems to be better than the equivalent Savage stock.

In my opinion, there is no better deal right now than EuroOptic's Mauser M18 sale. $429 for the 30-06 model.

I've been looking for a less expensive varmint rifle for a while.I couldn't bring myself to buying at the lowest price point. There are a bunch of youtube videos reviewing various less expensive models including all the ones mentioned. I took a few trips to the store and handled many of them. They are cheap for a reason. The finish is really rough on most, stocks are cheap, most triggers are not that great, and to be honest all the reviews were pretty poor in the accuracy department. The only exception seemed to be the Ruger, but its ugly. I would include the cheap remington 700s. To get into a nicer rifle you have to up the budget to $500-600, then you have lots more options in better built/finished rifles. Cheap rifles tend to get upgraded rather than used for any period of time. I look at in terms of get the right one, not the one that will work.

IMO the best bang for your buck is Howa. Fit/finish is better, feel is better, actions are smooth, and I've yet to find a bad review on one. YMMV. You can pick up the bottom end models for $450-500+/- and they are, IMO seem to be much better rifles than any of the cheap ones listed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back