Actual Weight of Meat - Can we be honest?

neffa3

hammerguy

This season I brought a scale into the field for the first time, actually had two different scales for my elk hunt.

I tried to make my measurements as scientific as possible, my yields were dramatically different from the numbers people throw around. Neither of my animals were massive, but neither were dramatically small. I believe both were fairly representative of what your average hunter pulls out of the woods in Colorado.

Would you be willing to weight your meat, post a pic of the animal, and post pictures or give a short description of how you butchered.

I literally give no chitts about "oh well we usually get bla bla bla" the internet abounds in blowhards, I'm asking for some objective facts, if you can't "prove" the weight of a specific animal your info isn't of interest. Also please keep the shaming to a minimum, I'm interested in your numbers I don't care what you do or do not bring home as long as you are acting legally in your jurisdiction.

I realize this is kinda a pain the butt, so thank you to anyone that chooses to participate. All critters welcome.
192lb before his throat was slit.
157lb after gutted
75lb completely deboned. 36lb of that is sausage trim.

Attachments

Jmnhunter

I shot this buck last weekend, I guessed 160lbs when I walked up to it; weighed it last night 130lbs; thought the scale was off until i weighed myself; I would like to see a 200-250lb buck in person now that I bought a scale the last couple of years ago, i thought a few of my older bucks were 200+ but now i'm not so sure...as alot of guys claim they shoot 250lb+ bucks
I'll report meat back when I can butcher it after it thaws out...
image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

Bambistew

192lb before his throat was slit.
157lb after gutted
75lb completely deboned. 36lb of that is sausage trim.
How much blood is lost after the throat is slit? I've always wondered why people do this? I see lots of pictures with the throat slit, and there is little to no blood, other than from the initial cut.

That's a hefty spike BTW. What part of the country?

smarandr

How much blood is lost after the throat is slit? I've always wondered why people do this? I see lots of pictures with the throat slit, and there is little to no blood, other than from the initial cut.
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I learned it from my dad. After shooting a few critters on my own and doing it, I noticed the blood was all pooled in the chest cavity and little to none came from the throat, so I quit. Now I sever the wind pipe from inside the chest cavity when gutting (if I'm not doing the gutless method).

hammerguy

I learned it from my dad, but as @smarandr says, I rarely see blood....but I still do it.....muscle memory I guess.

I too thought it was a big spike. He obviously ate a lot of my Minnesota alfalfa and corn! Sure tasted good last night.

NEWHunter

I thought so too - a hefty year and a half old. Course maybe it was shot right before the rut and they lose that much weight.?.?.!

Our rutted out 2.5 and 3.5 year old bucks shot during gun season here in WI would weigh 140-180 pounds dressed. That’s in farm country on one of those cabelas game scales.

Last edited:

ImBillT

My bull last year yielded 264lbs of boneless meat. I have the weight of each quarter, the trim and neck, the back straps and tenderloins written down somewhere. It should also be in another thread here from last year. I definitely take every last scrap of meat. I’d estimate the elk was between 750lbs and 800lbs.

Kneetopia

First time I've actually weighed what we packed out (after I got home that is). 2.5 miles from the truck.... Mature 6 pt elk, big ass body = heavy loads with our day packs and rifles.

Rear quarter (no bone) = #47
Front quarter (bone) = #33
Backstraps/Tendies/Scrap = #21
TOTAL = 181 lbs

The skinned out skull and rack was 25 lbs

Last edited:

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
First time I've actually weighed what we packed out. We were 2.5 miles from the truck.... Mature 6 pt elk, big ass body

Backstraps/Tendies/Scrap = #21
TOTAL = 181 lbs

The skinned out skull and rack was 25 lbs
This total is close to what we find when we weigh quartered elk for balancing loads on the llamas. Weight of each depends on how it is cut/trimmed and what is left attached to the fronts, such as some neck or other stuff that might normally be in the trim pile.

We did a video on this last year. This was a mature 4.5 year old bull, with bone in on all pieces.

Jt13

Figured I would contribute since I just had this cow processed and she produced WAY more than I thought I'd get off her.

181.6 lbs of trimmed and cleaned boneless steaks, roasts, and ground meat. Had to weigh it out exactly as I was packing it in suitcases to bring back on the plane.

At the butcher it was 305lbs hanging weight with head, hide, lower legs removed.

Attachments

Last edited:

JLS

It's a pretty pointless action unless the animal is still alive. If the animal is already dead, little to no blood is going to come out. Especially if you already hit the heart or part of the vasculature, the circulatory system is no longer pressurized so very little blood is going to come out. If the hit was a CNS shot, you may see a little more blood due to the volume still retained within the circulatory system.

Folks have to remember when an animal is exsanguinated in a kill plant, it is still alive. It has been rendered unconscious with a stun gun, and the animal is hanging upside down. The massive loss of blood is because the carotid artery and jugular vein are severed, the circulatory system is still pressurized, and gravity is helping the blood flow downwards to the cut.

Most folks when they cut the throat are only getting the jugular vein, not the carotid artery (the important one).

Bluffgruff

Bull elk
56 and 57lb hind quarters, boned out.
65lb fronts boned out (both)
25 lbs of backstraps and tenderloins
$10 luggage scale weighs 4oz, and will save your legs and back.

SD_Prairie_Goat

This years mule deer boned out 77.5 lbs. Did lose probably 5-7.5lbs from bullet damage give or take. His neck meat was about the same in weight as a hind, big ole neck on him.