Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

A little perspective on a deck/patio project....

SFC B

The current homestead is in need of a need deck or patio (there is some slope and would require a couple of terraces for a patio) to replace the current deck. We have decided on 300sf (3/4 of current size) and have been getting estimates/quotes on both trex-like decks and patios. We have specifically been staying with very simple, regularly shaped designs and aren't looking for any frills. Truth be told we will probably only be in this house another 3 years before bugging out to the sticks. I have been NOT so pleasantly surprised at the range of estimates so far...... for some perspective (especially from any contractors) what would you expect the ball park cost to be?

The current homestead is in need of a need deck or patio (there is some slope and would require a couple of terraces for a patio) to replace the current deck. We have decided on 300sf (3/4 of current size) and have been getting estimates/quotes on both trex-like decks and patios. We have specifically been staying with very simple, regularly shaped designs and aren't looking for any frills. Truth be told we will probably only be in this house another 3 years before bugging out to the sticks. I have been NOT so pleasantly surprised at the range of estimates so far...... for some perspective (especially from any contractors) what would you expect the ball park cost to be?

just construction and materials or does your local code require P.E. stamped drawings?

In my opinion, I'd do it myself ha!

I think the tough part is the connection back to the house, is it going into masonry or is there already a ledger in place from the old patio?

just construction and materials or does your local code require P.E. stamped drawings?

In my opinion, I'd do it myself ha!

I think the tough part is the connection back to the house, is it going into masonry or is there already a ledger in place from the old patio?
Local code does not require stamped drawings. It is going into masonry but there is a connection from the previous. 2 reasons I don't do it myself 1) The boy is headed back to IN this week and I would be alone on a bit of an incline. Footings all have to be redone as well. Last set are half assed. 2) More importantly......the wife. It would not go well for us. I do all sets of projects but this one in particular she would be so far up my forth point of contact that I would lose my mind.

A friend of mine had his 500 sq ft deck rebuilt 2 years ago with trex and total cost from contractor was over 10k. That was railings and everything. He’s not a DIY person so I guess he figured that was a good deal. I don’t know as I’ve never personally priced one made of trex.

I did one last summer about 3’ high for about $25/square foot (materials and labor) including railing. If you’ve got a lot of elevation to deal with, expect the price to go up. The range in prices is very common- some people work for next to nothing....I would rather work for someone else than work that hard. Those are often the guys that cut corners, don’t have insurance, etc. some guys do so many decks they get their prices down due to efficiency.

We have specifically been staying with very simple, regularly shaped designs and aren't looking for any frills. Truth be told we will probably only be in this house another 3 years before bugging out to the sticks.

This!

I’d probably give a napkin estimate in the ballpark of $40sq/ft for composite or pvc material with all new ledger, footings, stair and railings. This can go vary quite a bit depending on railing design and the stair layout.

I’m in NY, so our markets may not be similar.

If you really want to save money, consider having a pressure treated deck built
In IN that was the standard, due to the weather (and especially the direct, blazing sun) don't think it is a good option. Materials are not the big hit on what I have been seeing.

I did one last summer about 3’ high for about $25/square foot (materials and labor) including railing. If you’ve got a lot of elevation to deal with, expect the price to go up. The range in prices is very common- some people work for next to nothing....I would rather work for someone else than work that hard. Those are often the guys that cut corners, don’t have insurance, etc. some guys do so many decks they get their prices down due to efficiency.

Just saw the part regarding composite materials. The one I built was PT lumber, so definitely expect composites prices to be higher. I would agree, $30-$40 per square foot would be a good ballpark figure.

So here is the range of what I have gotten. For decks....13K to 25k. The 13k is also a referral from a friend so I have someone vouching for the guy, all of the others were 18-25. The only actual number I got for a paver brick patio was, and I shiz you not, AT LEAST 30k(yes, that IS at LEAST a hundred dollars a sf). SMFH I guess it is pretty much gonna be the 13k....

I don’t know what market you are in and labor rates are in your area but I am not coming up with more than $3500-4500 for materials. Obviously the amount of foundation work and what type of railing you go with, whether stairs are required or not and other factors will affect the price significantly. Some things are hard to even ballpark without a drawing to show what you are looking at.

I think I am building in the wrong market.🤔

The codes will vary from state to state so what applys here in Pa may not in Co. so it is hard to give any real estimate but the 30 to 40 per sq foot is a average here and their are different grades of all the composit materials some very pricy and some not

So here is the range of what I have gotten. For decks....13K to 25k. The 13k is also a referral from a friend so I have someone vouching for the guy, all of the others were 18-25. The only actual number I got for a paver brick patio was, and I shiz you not, AT LEAST 30k(yes, that IS at LEAST a hundred dollars a sf). SMFH I guess it is pretty much gonna be the 13k....

Without seeing the site, 13K for a composite deck on a slope seems pricey but not necessarily out of the ballpark. 30K for the paver patio is just stupid unless you have a whole bunch of retaining walls included in that price...At any rate, if you're out of that house in 3 years I'd save your nickels and just build something that will help it sell, build the fancy deck at your new house.

I don’t know what market you are in and labor rates are in your area but I am not coming up with more than $3500-4500 for materials. Obviously the amount of foundation work and what type of railing you go with, whether stairs are required or not and other factors will affect the price significantly. Some things are hard to even ballpark without a drawing to show what you are looking at.

I think I am building in the wrong market.🤔
I am in Colorado Springs. Yep, that is the ball park for materials quoted, one set of stairs and and railing (NOT full metal like shown here).

Attachments

• CAD Drawing, SaddleMountain Rd 605,_002.jpg
    CAD Drawing, SaddleMountain Rd 605,_002.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 19
I am in Colorado Springs. Yep, that is the ball park for materials quoted, one set of stairs and and railing (NOT full metal like shown here).
With the beams and foundation work shown there, I can see where that 13K quote could come from. Seems a bit steep to me, but I can easily see 10-12K for that and I am sure labor is going to be more @ CO Springs.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back