9th Circuit Ends California Ban on High-Capacity Magazines

Islander

9th Circuit Ends California Ban on High-Capacity Magazines
A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals says the law violates the U.S. Constitution's protection of the right to bear firearms.

but said that isn’t enough to justify a ban whose scope “is so sweeping that half of all magazines in America are now unlawful to own in California.”

Is that really true? I'm suprised to learn that myself actually. I own almost 20 guns and only 1 has a magazine of over 10 rounds.

I don't care if you like Trump or not, the way he has flipped the 9th Circus into a court that is far more functional is darn good work...

If you have a glock or AR you will have magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, and most folks will have several. I have 25 glock magazines and about 40 AR mags. It's those types that rocket ahead of the 10-22s and 4-5 round Tikkas and other bolt guns.

At first I was surprised, but after thinking about it I can't see how the law could be justified. What's so significant and 10 rounds? You can reduce this to the absurd. For example, if 10 can be banned, what is to prevent you from banning anything that holds more than 1 round? That would take away nearly ever gun in the country.

rg

At first I was surprised, but after thinking about it I can't see how the law could be justified. What's so significant and 10 rounds? You can reduce this to the absurd. For example, if 10 can be banned, what is to prevent you from banning anything that holds more than 1 round? That would take away nearly ever gun in the country.

rg
That has been their (California Legislator's) goal for a long time. They keep imposing more and more laws that make it harder, and eventually impossible to own guns. In California there is a handgun roster (too long to explain in detail) but if you want to own a handgun, it must be on the list. Currently they are trying to make it law that for every new gun (1) put on the list, three must be taken off. Now I'm no mathematician but I think that eventually means 0 handguns available to buy in California.

Now if the 10th circuit could just get rid of the 15+ round mag ban in Colorado.

luckily it's so (admittedly) unenforced it has yet to impact barely anyone

it only seems that when someone shoots a place up and has his apartment raided does the DA tack on a few extra charges for illegal magazines. silly tho, because he wasn't supposed to be able to have them :unsure:

Great precedent set here. If your not a member of CRPA (Ca rifle and pistol Assoc) it’s a great alternative/addition to the NRA. California is one of many states that are the front line on 2A battles/initiatives that seem to end up in other states. Even if you don’t live there they might be worth supporting.

The thing to remember is gun control is incremental. The gun control supporters have said that they will take it in baby steps until they get it all. As far as I am concerned, there is no room for compromise on Second Amendment. I bought several AR magazines before they become unavailable a few years ago myself. If we compromised just a bit, eventually you will not have the right to own a pistol at all and have to apply for permits for even the most primitive hunting guns.

Just old school I guess...always figured if I can't hit my intended target with 1-6 shots...probably aint happening with another dozen either. Like I said if I ever have the need glad to have the option I reckon.

I hope to never need to defend my family and have the need for a “standard Capacity magazine” either... high capacity magazine is a term Coined to Push “common sense” gun control.. I see you bought in... go look at what comes in most Standard semi auto pistols it’s not a 10rd magazine. Only in California.

Just old school I guess...always figured if I can't hit my intended target with 1-6 shots...probably aint happening with another dozen either. Like I said if I ever have the need glad to have the option I reckon.

I have a Henry .22 with a tubular magazine that would be exempt from the CA law, but the same firearm in either .17 HMR or .22 Mag is not legal, why? It's just not a well-written law-and I have a real problem with knee-jerk legislation...

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back