Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

9th Circuit Court decision on "concealed carry"

pointingdogsrule

I was not sure if I was to put this under "politics" or "guns".

Not a good day for gun owners. See the ruling by the 9th circuit court:
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...c-also-good-reason-provision-is-fine-n2176190

As most know the 9th is the most "liberal" of all the courts so this is what should be expected. We advanced further down the slippery slope as our guns rights are eroded.

Yep, I understand that the usual contributors will think of me as: "a NRA right wing nut, someone who gets his info from the internet "so it must be true", someone who has no knowledge of the law".

They will tell me that this will be overturned by the SCOTUS and this will never stand. They will tell me that it's anti-second amendment so it is invalid. They will tell me that it has nothing to do with our hunting rights and the weapons that we use to hunt. They will tell me that this doesn't affect me or future gun rights.

Just last week on this forum I was told that Hillary didn't want to take guns away (that's correct... she just wants to make guns and ammo hard to obtain & hard to use for intended purpose... self defense). That she could NOT overturn the second amendment (that's also correct). That I didn't understand the laws of the land or how our system works (incorrect).

Here's my take (so fire away). This case WILL advance to the SCOTUS. At this point in time the SCOTUS is 4 liberal (counting Kennedy as a liberal) and 4 conservative. 1 absent. If Hillary is elected I would bet that she will NOT appoint a conservative who is pro second amendment. That means the possibility of this ruling being upheld. Even if it is 4 to 4 vote with no replacement the ruling stands (without precedent). There goes a persons "right" (and I use that term loosely) to carry and protect one's self unless you can show "cause".

The point is that I believe Hillary WILL appoint more liberal judges to the courts that will rule exactly like the 9th court. One more liberal on the SCOTUS and you have a majority. Hillary does not have to make laws to outlaw guns or restrict guns. Her court appointees will do this for Hillary.

I find it amazing that these judges can go to the ends of the earth to find parts of the constitution that guarantee rights.... except when it comes to gun rights.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed".

End of my rant..... I feel better :) By the way..... in the future your children may be enjoying those "public lands" without firearms allowed.

good luck to all
the dog

In the future, I hope my kids go to a school that has no chance of being shot up by their peers.

And I walk around public lands all the time without a firearm. There are worse things that can happen, I guess.

Okaaay.... This doesn't seem like an erosion of rights since we've never had an unfettered right to concealed carry in public.

As an aside, however, perhaps you should start a petition to have it allowed at the republican convention.

It's unfortunate to see the condition of whether or not a chief LEO thinks you personally or the population at larger in their jurisdiction should get concealed carry since the whole idea of the local sheriff deciding who is armed is pretty rooted in Jim Crow laws.

It's not the end of the world I do agree and we are still at a relative high water mark of modern firearm rights with a nearly universal expansion over the last decade of those rights.

It's unfortunate to see the condition of whether or not a chief LEO thinks you personally or the population at larger in their jurisdiction should get concealed carry since the whole idea of the local sheriff deciding who is armed is pretty rooted in Jim Crow laws.

It's not the end of the world I do agree and we are still at a relative high water mark of modern firearm rights with a nearly universal expansion over the last decade of those rights.

It's why "shall issue" laws are important. If you pass the state background check, the CLEO needs to issue the permit.

California has a ban on the open carry of handguns in almost the entire state. Concealed carry is at the discretion of the county Sheriff, who in many cases will not approve a permit. It is a de facto ban on any type of carry for self-defense. Or, in the current vernacular, a reasonable regulation .

clinton.jpg

The laws are not going to deter the school shooters from having a concealed weapon.

It's more the slippery slope argument I have a problem with. I personally don't believe that the liberal agenda is to take everyone's guns away. Which is asserted in the initial statement.

And laws can actually create more safety around guns. It's been proven in nearly every other developed country but our own.

Even trained cops have issues with understanding when to use guns--don't shoot people who are unarmed, don't shoot people in the back, etc. I'd rather untrained civilians not carry them in public. For reasons like this: http://time.com/4146086/woman-who-shot-at-home-depot-shoplifters-i-will-never-help-anybody-again/

A friend sent me this earlier today. I think it's worth a full watch, Obama answering a recent question from a civilian who asked why he wants to punish the good guys with guns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6imFvSua3Kg

Chicago has the toughest un-enforced gun laws in the country, and it shows. Obama dodged that one.

90% of the those charged with felony criminal weapons crimes in Chicago get reduced charges or plea bargain them down to nothing. 9 out of 10 skate.

What good would "common sense" laws added to the heap, have on reducing gun violence ? None, they will only affect law abiding citizens.

90% of all criminals across the country accept plea bargains. Very few cases ever go to trial. That's not just a guns or Chicago issue.

It sounded like a very logical (not emotional) response to me.

DNC platform committee meeting yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PdUOmUNvZ0

K. Well, she doesn't speak for everyone. And those statistics at the end literally have zero basis in reality. There is no way women use guns 200,000 times a year to protect themselves from sexual violence, there is no way that statistic could even be counted, but if you can find that empirical evidence I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Here are some real stats from the FBI and the DOJ: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-guns-self-defense-charleston-20150619-story.html

Consider your sources. I prefer mine to be real.

Agreed, she does not speak for everyone. Her words are hers alone. But she helps shape the party platform, the agenda. I do consider my sources, my source was her own words.

With regard to the stats at the end, I agree there is no way it could be counted accurately. I also don't think 1 year (2012) of data is sufficient to make any conclusions as was done in the opinion article.

As they say, 87% of statistics R made up on the spot.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back