PEAX Equipment

7mm-08

Where did you hear that tidbit, Buzz?:rolleyes:

Don't underestimate the amount of recoil a kid can handle. I see some pretty young kids on tv shooting heavy-hitters. I would say that a 7-08 with 140-grain bullets should be manageable for about any kid that is serious about hunting.

I can't agree with that. Weight, stock fit, and personalities mean everything. My T3 SL in 7/08 has plenty of kick for me, and is too much for my 13 year old boy.. Maybe he could handle it if he were on TV, but I dunno..

.243 with the right bullets is way more versatile than people give it credit for. I wouldn't hesitate to toss a 80 gr. ttsx into a bear or bull.

Last edited:
My son can and does "handle" the 7-08. But only for about 10-15 rounds. That's with the 120's.

That may be fine, but I prefer kids be able to shoot a lot more in a given range session.

Travis

Travo used his Model 7 in 7-08 at age 10 and he was a slight built boy. With a new stock he is still using that gun at age 25. Not a fan of the 243 for Deer, especially Deer being shot by youth. John

My son can and does "handle" the 7-08. But only for about 10-15 rounds. That's with the 120's.

That may be fine, but I prefer kids be able to shoot a lot more in a given range session.

Travis

Recoil is not even perceived during hunting. Get a Lead Sled for the range sessions and he can shoot as much as he wants. 10-15 rounds is a pretty good session I think.

I would rather that a kid learn to handle a little recoil, than to give him a small-caliber rifle that has to have perfect shot placement to perform..

A lead sled to practice from the bench??? 10-15 rounds????

Hoo boy. Practice is done OFF the bench, with waaaaay more than 10-15 rounds. This doesn't even address the abortion that the lead sled is.

Recoil IS percieved during hunting, through finches.

10-15 live rounds during a session for a kid is a good number. I routinely load the gun for my daughter, she may get a live round, she may not. The goal is that she practices an absolutely perfect trigger press EVERY time, regardless of whether the gun goes bang or not.

Once the trigger press is absolutely mastered, let them burn powder all they want. The reality is though, even most adults don't consistently have a perfect trigger press and will instill/reinforce bad habits through prolonged shooting sessions.

I love the 7-08. I've got two of them..

But for kids, shooting deer, varmints, even bear, I think there are better choices.

Recoil is not even perceived during hunting. Get a Lead Sled for the range sessions and he can shoot as much as he wants. 10-15 rounds is a pretty good session I think.

I would rather that a kid learn to handle a little recoil, than to give him a small-caliber rifle that has to have perfect shot placement to perform..

hooper,

I didn't realize my 7-08 was effective regardless of shot placement. I'll keep that in mind this upcoming season.

I will google "Lead Sled." Sounds like a great way to get my son some more trigger time in preparation for field shooting.

Thanks a bunch.

Travis

hooper,

I didn't realize my 7-08 was effective regardless of shot placement. I'll keep that in mind this upcoming season.

I will google "Lead Sled." Sounds like a great way to get my son some more trigger time in preparation for field shooting.

Thanks a bunch.

Travis

I did not say bad shot placement. I said less than perfect placement. A gut shot is a gut shot. If you have a steep angled shot etc., then the 7-08 is a better choice.

The lead sled will get him plenty of trigger time, as he will not be battling the recoil. To those who do not like it, personal choice, but do not bad mouth a good product. He can get used to the load and get lots of target time without being beaten up. THEN he can shoot his 10-15 rounds OFF the bench from a tripod, backpack or whatever.

I did not say bad shot placement. I said less than perfect placement.

My apologies. I didn't know my 7-08 was effective when utilizing "less than perfect shot placement."

I'll keep that in mind for the upcoming season.

Travis

Thanks for the replies all......

...troublemaker.:D

The 7-08 is a capable round with acceptable recoil in 7 1/2 lb (plus optics weight) platforms. Fun to shoot w/ loads or factory. Mine pushes a 140 TTSX 2900+ fps. small groups @ 100.

At the moment, 7 grandsons have their eyes on it

Last edited:
Aside from the BS that got off topic, the 7-08 is a great caliber. any of your lighter recoil calibers are good for kids to start out with, and with the premium bullets available these days, .243 win/.244 rem, my personal favorite .257 Roberts, .260 rem and any of the other similar calibers are great at putting down anything up to and including elk.
Big Fin has put the hurtin on a lot of critters with his 7-08, and that is the kind of proof I like to see when looking at a new caliber.
Bottom line is decide what will be best for you and your kids, what you can afford to get, and if you will be able to either reload or purchase ammo easily enough to allow for lots of practice sessions.

I can't say that I'd recommend a 7mm-08 for a kid, especially in a lightweight configuration.

.243 will cover a lot more territory than it is given credit for.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back