Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

7 mag Barnes 150 TTSX Anyone load this?

jeff_gibbons

Hello all,
I’m working up a Barnes 150 gr TTSX load out of 24” barrel and getting about 3,050 fps with IMR 7828. And just under 3,100 with RE22. I’m 50 thou of lands.
Anyone find a good powder combo for this bullet? What kind of velocities did you get? I was hoping to get a little better than 3,100 as get 3k with a 168 gr berger.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

P.s. I’m aware of accuracy > speed

Thats actually pretty good speed. I get 2900 out of 2 7mm rem mags. However both those rifles shoot extremely well. At that speed it will still preform and expand at 600 yards at the elevation I hunt. Would I like more speed??? Sure would but neither rifle will do it.

Thats actually pretty good speed. I get 2900 out of 2 7mm rem mags. However both those rifles shoot extremely well. At that speed it will still preform and expand at 600 yards at the elevation I hunt. Would I like more speed??? Sure would but neither rifle will do it.
They will with a 143 Hammer. mtmuley

I do not shoot a 7mm mag.
I do shoot MANT different chamberings of Barnes bullets.
Most notable is my 8mm RM.
I use a tsx 200 gr and use RL 26 I get a one-inch group at 200 yards and muzzle speed of 3200 fps checked with a Magnetospeed. 50ish off the lands too but because I run out of room in the magazine.
If you can get some RL 26 you will be amazed at what you can get.

My 280AI with a 26" barrel will push this bullet a little over 2900fps with pretty good accuracy - about .75MOA. This is using Reloder 23, however, which seems to about as easy to find as pterodactyl eggs these days.

That is my current go to bullet with my 7mm. 3037 fps with 63gr of RL-22. Very accurate out of my gun. Found this load to be very consistent and accurate so haven't really pushed for more speed.

Hello all,
I’m working up a Barnes 150 gr TTSX load out of 24” barrel and getting about 3,050 fps with IMR 7828. And just under 3,100 with RE22. I’m 50 thou of lands.
Anyone find a good powder combo for this bullet? What kind of velocities did you get? I was hoping to get a little better than 3,100 as get 3k with a 168 gr berger.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

P.s. I’m aware of accuracy > speed
I have been getting consistently better numbers out of both H4831SC and H1000 vs RL22 for my 150 gr Hornady CX. My sweet spot right now is the 4831SC with a measured velocity average of 3155 fps and 0.55 MOA at both 100 and 200 yds. Rifle is a Kimber Mtn Ascent.

Will be loading some 131 Hammer Hunters for the 7 RM #1 26"bbl soon...

It shot 130 TSX and 140 TTSX well...will check load data and recorded speeds.

Last edited:
I’d have to check my data but IIRC, I got 3100 fps with H4831SC. I used that 150gr. TSX in Africa, taking 8 game animals from Impala to Eland (that’s about 80# to 1800#). Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Oryx…

Admittedly, the Eland did take two shots…the first shot shattered the top of the 4” thick humerus (I Mean, totally shattered it, like a grenade went off - shards of bone everywhere), broke a rib and penetrated to about 2” from the heart. The second shot, a high shoulder, broke the spine and finished the job.

The Zebra took 28” of penetration, stopping on the far side after a breaking a rib, punching through the lungs, breaking a rib on the other side and stopping just under the skin on the far side.

I wouldn’t sweat the velocity.

I've shot hammers. And my one 7mm rem mag will just make the 3000 ft/sec mark. But after shooting a couple animals I'm not that happy with the performance of the bullet and am switching back to the TTSX or may try a CX.
Which Hammer? What happened? mtmuley

Which Hammer? What happened? mtmuley
143 Hunters. Bullet worked as advertised. But I don't like the .284 exit hole. I hunt thick stuff and like a bigger exit hole. That is my only dislike about them.

143 Hunters. Bullet worked as advertised. But I don't like the .284 exit hole. I hunt thick stuff and like a bigger exit hole. That is my only dislike about them.
How far was the recovery? I took a whitey last year who ran a good ways into the thick with 1/3rd of his heart missing from a 45cal 325g flex tip...have had dead hogs running from good hits also.

I get what you're saying tho, I have the same lack of affinity for Bergers but full faith in Hammers.

I rechecked my data today, my 143 hammer hunters are going 3100. I couldn't get a TTSX going over 2900, my bad. Son shot a mule deer buck, at the shot it did a 90 degree turn and stood there, so he shot it again. It stood a little bit and started trotting down into a ditch so he shot it again and hit backstraps, dang. Upon processing the buck both bullets passed thru, one from each side. 4 holes at .284. Lots of copper bits just under the hide. Buck was shot thru the ribs just behind the shoulder. I shot at a cow elk with the same load, 200 yards. She was standing and at the shot lots of other elk bolted. I never recovered this cow, had snow and never any blood. Spent all day and some of the next trying to find it. So either I clean missed or no blood. But this left a bad taste in my mouth. Would a bigger exit hole helped??? Don't know because I can't duplicate the shot. After watching my sons buck thru the spotter when he shot it I was surprised at the bucks reaction. My son thought he missed both times. This year we shot 4 elk with TTSX bullets in 7mm rem mags. All one shot kills and all only went a few yards and went down. Nice exit holes and jello lungs. Would I use hammers in more open county?? Yes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back