Loading Nosler Partitions

jeff_gibbons

Thought I’d pass along my experience with loading partitions in 308 win in hope it helps others.

My rifle is a Howa stainless 1500. I’m not sure of the twist. It could be 1:12? Today I tested two charge weights of BLC2 under 150 gr partitions at two different seating depths. Norma brass, cci lr primer, believe bushing was .334 with 3 thou bump.

I left the chrono at home on purpose as wanted to focus on precision and not get distracted. Worked.

47 and 47.5 grain charges were weighed and seating depths were 2.800 and 2.750 coal. I took the measurements from ogive and they were pretty dang far. I can dig it up if someone is interested. On this note - I have two Howas and both are longer than box can accommodate. However both shoot bugs so I gave up the idea I had to be 30 thou off lands.

The results surprised me a bit and I’d like your thoughts. The 47.5 grain at 2.750 shot under an inch (my thumb width) and guessing .75. The same charge at 2.800 dang near doubled that. The 47 charge at 2.800 got closer at an inch or so but he 47.5 at 2.8 was worse. Not sure how to interpret this but plan to retest at 47.5 with 2.750.

Welcome any insights from the crew here. My initial thoughts are that partitions like a big jump.

Fwiw, I have plenty of varget, imr 4064 and some RE15. I chose this combo as blc2 was built for 150’s, meters like a dream, is readily available.

Take care and keep a positive mind.

Partitions are like that in my experience. There generally is a sweet spot with quite a bit of jump, it’s just harder to find. Great bullets, at 3/4” I’d write down the information and call it good.

I’d write down the information and call it good.

Why stop there? Working up a load is half the fun.
I have found type of powder can Make a big difference.
If you have other powders you may stumble across something that even works better. Often times I will try as many as 5 or 6 different similar powders.
I say keep what you have as a benchmark and experiment some more. I do prefer Using Barnes or Hammer bullets But Noslers are good too.

Sorry, I'm reading this trying to follow what your attempting to say, but having a hard time of it.

Are you trying to do a powder charge weight test, or a seating depth test?

You also give us a base to ogive measurement, which will mean nothing to anyone else, but then confuse it with COAL.

What do you mean "longer than box"?
Longer than your magazine?
Longer than factory ammo?

Sorry, I'm reading this trying to follow what your attempting to say, but having a hard time of it.

Are you trying to do a powder charge weight test, or a seating depth test?

You also give us a base to ogive measurement, which will mean nothing to anyone else, but then confuse it with COAL.

What do you mean "longer than box"?
Longer than your magazine?
Longer than factory ammo?
Hi mag, sorry for any confusion. My test was both charge and seating depth. 2x2 test. The results interested me as higher charge and shorter coal worked better than same charge longer. But, lower charge longer was close.

I used coal as general reference but also measured cbto as the main reference.

Hope that clears it up. The pursuit of a good load is the fun for me.

I have loaded partitions in everything from 243 to 9.3x62. I have found that each caliber had its own unique sweet spot. Since I do not own 2 rifles of the same caliber I cannot speak to whether that sweet spot is rifle specific. In general I have found partitions to be very accurate and always deadly. I have either been very lucky or very fortunate in that I have never lost an animal I hit with a partition.

Back