Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

280 Ackley Barnes 139gr LRX

Addicting

Too nice of a day to not go to the range. Just a note about what follows, I have noticed that 3 groove Lilja barrels have produced excellent velocities with the Barnes LRX. **** This was my rifle and my lot of powder, proceed with caution if you use this info, yours may well be different. ****

Here are the details:
280 Ackley
24” Lilja 3 groove 9 twist
N555 & FED 210m
59gr = 3137 FPS
59.5gr = 3172 FPS
59.7gr = 3190 FPS
60gr = 3215 FPS (Max in my rifle)
60.5gr = 3229 FPS (this was too hot, primer starting to flatten).

I was pretty happy with those results, case capacity was where I like it at the base of the shoulder. That was using a 6” drop tube.

4831 SC in that rifle seems slow in everything I’ve tried, RL 23 needed a heavier bullet and worked well with the 150 TTSX and up.

So with Alliant hard to get see about trying Vihtavouri.

N555 is made from unicorn dust.
I ended up with 16lbs precovid when I did my 300 Sherman. When that went kaputz used it in my 260ai. It will take 3 lifetimes to burn it thru that. So now, I feed it to anything I can now to see if it works.

I ended up with 16lbs precovid when I did my 300 Sherman. When that went kaputz used it in my 260ai. It will take 3 lifetimes to burn it thru that. So now, I feed it to anything I can now to see if it works.
I've got probably 6lbs of it left. I need to get some more.

What is y'all's process on working up loads for monos, particularly the LRX-- do you tinker with loading depth on a moderate charge first or do you run a charge ladder test, then experiment with distance to lands? My first batch of LRXs over StaBall 6.5 in my Tikka 6.5 Creed were disappointing, to say the least.

@Sheltowee, I pretty much do a 3-4 shot ladder test starting with the bullet .050" from the lands. Smaller cartridge using .3 grain increase, larger .5 gr increase while watching for pressure. Three shot groups for thin barrels and 4 shot for heavier barrels. Get the best group and then try seating deeper in .025" increments to see if the group size decreases. Works for me, but then I am a Boomer and pretty set in my ways.

@Sheltowee
Depending on what velocity range I want and if I have researched known loads. 5-10 shots in .2 or .3 g increments over a chrono. Find two -three that are close in velocity.

Given the above data I loaded @ 59.6 grains of N555.

Load groups of 3 up in the middle of that powder node at -.050 -.070 .-090 -.120 seating depth.

Funny story on this data, I didn’t copy the type of powder down in my load book. I had all the data and no idea which powder I had used. I scrapped the whole page into the trash as to not make a fatal error. I had forgotten all about this thread. Now I get to do seating depth tests all over again. Lol

I've loaded Barnes bullets for years. I almost always start .040 off lands and then move deeper by 0.010 so I am at .090. Three shot groups to start with. One of those loads should be the clear winner. I found that moving .020 off is just to much.

Back