Caribou Gear

60% Resident increase?

How come people are jumping all over Colorado fees, yet no one is bitching about Wyoming raising fees in the other thread?

There seems to be a thread in the Wyo category about it...

Hey, my company has some work down your way for Century Link. I may be heading there at some point to do inspections. If so I'll buy lunch.

There seems to be a thread in the Wyo category about it...

Hey, my company has some work down your way for Century Link. I may be heading there at some point to do inspections. If so I'll buy lunch.

I saw the thread, but there's only like 6 people complaining out of 51 posts...how many jumped on in this one? Sad, since Colorado is one of the most NR friendly and available states, and people use us as a backup plan with our OTC tags.

Boss Hogs for lunch? :cool:

I saw the thread, but there's only like 6 people complaining out of 51 posts...how many jumped on in this one? Sad, since Colorado is one of the most NR friendly and available states, and people use us as a backup plan with our OTC tags.

Boss Hogs for lunch? :cool:

Consider the crowd....

Your choice.

Trust me John I wish they too would increase their resident cost by at least the rate they increase the NR. However, in both situations I wish more of the increased cost were going toward conservation instead of just keeping status quo. I do think it's a good thing for residents price to go up enough to bother them as they are the main ones who can do something about where the funds go and how they are spent.

I rarely see a resident fussing about how the increase in NR cost is spent. It mainly comes up when the residents go up.

Last edited:
I agree with a resident increase, but give us a better return on our investment with the season structure if they want to raise it that much. That would benefit R and NR hunters.

I agree with a resident increase, but give us a better return on our investment with the season structure if they want to raise it that much. That would benefit R and NR hunters.

Let me get this straight....raise the fees on NR all you want but only raise them on R if it comes with some kind of incentive? You R are a bunch of cry babies! Time to pull your weight!

Like I said I definitely wish more of it went to providing better opportunities and results. I can assure you when us NR spend that much money we hope and pray that it helps. However y'all get to vote for the people and the laws that control what happens in these western states so when this stuff happens call your representatives because they aren't listening to us NR.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight....raise the fees on NR all you want but only raise them on R if it comes with some kind of incentive? You R are a bunch of cry babies! Time to pull your weight!

And what's going on in Wyoming? Go whine on that thread. You can't come up with a legitimate conversation.

I remember Big Fin talking about Montana having a longer season structure in small part because of more limited vehicle accesss, they definitely close a lot of roads in the early fall which may or may not having anything to do with hunting season I've never called and asked, but it makes me wonder if Colorado could do the same thing and if that is something people would embrace?

I remember Big Fin talking about Montana having a longer season structure in small part because of more limited vehicle accesss, they definitely close a lot of roads in the early fall which may or may not having anything to do with hunting season I've never called and asked, but it makes me wonder if Colorado could do the same thing and if that is something people would embrace?

Montana's longer seasons( and multiple weapon tags) have EVERYTING to do with less vehicle access, if they tried to limit that in Colorado..........................we'd be shooting older age class bulls in 3 years...........................

Last edited:
Montana's longer seasons( and multiple weapon tags) have EVERYTING to do with less vehicle access, if they tried to limit that in Colorado..........................we'd be shooting older age class bulls in 3 years...........................

Plus they also only sell 17,000 NR elk tags. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it too! Can you imagine the wailing & gnashing of teeth from CPW and Outfitters if we did that here? I must admit most Nonresident hunters hunt a whole lot harder than Residents from what I've seen. The area's I hunt, Residents hunt maybe 4 days tops on average and go home. Used to hunt deer in GMU 35 and come Sunday evening the place emptied out. But in 2004 or 2005 when websites and magazines discovered the area it became a week long zoo from out of state guys. I'd definitely be happy paying $150 a deer tag of we went to Montana style management here.

I'd definitely be happy paying $150 a deer tag of we went to Montana style management here.

Shows how little you know about management and Montana...

If you aren't killing elk in Colorado every year, you wouldn't have a chance in Montana.

As to deer hunting...again, you don't have a clue about whats going on in Montana. Buy a tag, go up there and hunt deer on public land under their "management" style...shoot a 170 buck and I'll reimburse you for your tag.

You don't even realize what you have in Colorado.

Last edited:

With respect... I think the tone was set for a little NR biatching when the OP started with a negative view on resident fee increases. Return on investment is an even bigger consideration for the NR.

I understand what your saying about wanting a better season structure for your money. Quite honestly I would have a really hard time adjusting to your season and unit structure if I lived out there. I really think that if you were to get what you want the hunting would probably suffer and opportunity would go down. More then likely it would be NR's that would see opportunity restricted first. In the end resident fees would have to increase even more to maintain the status quo.

A bill was just introduced to significantly increase our fee's here in Iowa. Like you, I am concerned about what we get for our money and where these new fee's go. So far it looks like something I will support.

If you aren't killing elk in Colorado every year, you wouldn't have a chance in Montana.

As to deer hunting...again, you don't have a clue about whats going on in Montana. Buy a tag, go up there and hunt deer on public land under their "management" style...shoot a 170 buck and I'll reimburse you for your tag.

Having been a resident in both states I have to respectfully disagree. Colorado has amazing deer and elk herds but Montana has 1/10 the hunters and the season is what 6 times longer, more if you add in the fact you can hunt rifle and archery.

I had no problem finding decent bucks and bulls in Montana and I never felt crowded. I hunted three weeks in Montana this year and never saw another hunter once I left the trail head.

I would gladly reimburse you for your tag if you can shoot a 170 buck in CO with zero preference points.

Overall both states have amazing opportunities, but I think Montana's system provides for a better hunter experience and I would love to see some tweaking in CO, whether it's road closures, tag price increases, or fewer OTC tags.

And what's going on in Wyoming? Go whine on that thread. You can't come up with a legitimate conversation.

I already did. But since you can't comprehend what I am saying and you are only concerned with how YOUR pocket book is effected and nobody else's I'll try to break it down for you and give you some talking points.

1.) As pointed out in one of Big Fin's podcasts, if you western residents want us to come to your aid and contact our representative and join the fight against public land transfer but you want us to shoulder all the fiscal increases in tag....think again!!

2.) It's a fairly simple concept that both R and NR should shoulder the load with tag increases

3.) The amount of money that NR bring into the state is staggering and should be appreciated instead thinking of them as a never ending money supply.

4.) NR tags have increased by 35% since I started less then 10 years ago.

5.) Stop bitching and pay up!

6.) Explain to me why NR are the only ones who should shoulder the load on tag increases?

BuzzH I'm a hunter, not a trophy hunter. Sure I'll pop a 170" buck if one were to show up, but my standards are just a "he looks nice" 4X4. Hunting is time spent with family and friends for me. My Wife and son are who I'm hoping get the nice animals. When they're tags are filled, then I hunt. As for elk, I really don't care. Had an elk in my crosshairs at 150 yards last season but never pulled the trigger. They're a pain in the ass once you get em' down. Was hoping to get my son the bull in the herd but it never came together, that's about how much a care about them.

Never hunted Montana, I do have a good friend that moved to Montana and he said the difference between hunting elk in Montana and Colorado on the public land is you actually see elk in Montana. Have an old Army buddy that lives in Lolo that does pretty good up there too and nice bulls. Great bulls by CO standards. Wonder why Randy does so poorly with elk in Colorado compared to all the other states he hunts if this is the easiest place? Hmmm. Anywho I just want the opportunity to hunt, I don't need a 200" buck or 400" bull. I would do away with all trophy area's here if I had a say. Again, just like to hunt.

Would like to see you come and shoot a 340" bull in Colorado in an OTC unit since you challenge me to shoot a 170" in Montana. But hey Buzz, if you do make that happen, I'll be happy for you.

Having been a resident in both states I have to respectfully disagree. Colorado has amazing deer and elk herds but Montana has 1/10 the hunters and the season is what 6 times longer, more if you add in the fact you can hunt rifle and archery.

I had no problem finding decent bucks and bulls in Montana and I never felt crowded. I hunted three weeks in Montana this year and never saw another hunter once I left the trail head.

I would gladly reimburse you for your tag if you can shoot a 170 buck in CO with zero preference points.

Overall both states have amazing opportunities, but I think Montana's system provides for a better hunter experience and I would love to see some tweaking in CO, whether it's road closures, tag price increases, or fewer OTC tags.

I've only hunted Montana every year since 1978...I'll trust my ability to judge the hunting there, the fact its headed down the drain, etc.

But thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
BuzzH I'm a hunter, not a trophy hunter. .

Then you should be more than happy in Colorado.

Montana is not the paradise you make it sound like, and that's a fact...and getting worse all the time.

Waging war on elk with 190K general elk tags, 11 week seasons, shoulder seasons from Aug-Feb. 15...that has consequences. So does pounding deer for the same 11 weeks, including the entire month of November.

Try that in Colorado and see what you have left in a few years...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back