50 birds by noon

Nemont

Couldn't hunt on Saturday due to both son and daughter having basketball games. So Sunday bright and early we set up for a goose hunt.

We had our limit of 25 for five hunters by 9:30.

photo-64.jpg

So we decided to hit the cornfield I had scouted and shot a 5 man limit of 25 ducks by 11:50.

photo-65.jpg

Great day to be in the field with good friends, as well as my son and his buddy.

Nemont

'Bout that time of year when danger warnings need to be posted to all waterfowl living in NE Montana. Good stuff as, always. Congrats.

Looks like a very good day.

What do you do with all the meat? I usually grind the few ducks and geese i get and make jerky. Not really a fan any other way.

Looks like a very good day.

What do you do with all the meat? I usually grind the few ducks and geese i get and make jerky. Not really a fan any other way.

Jerky, been making Goose Breast Pastrami, duck gumbo, Brine whole breasts in an apple cider brine and then smoke them with apple wood, pan sear duck breasts cooked to medium with shallots, peppers and orange sauce is great. I even bottled some of it like bottled deer.

Nemont

Sweet NeMont. I just drove over the dam a couple hours ago. I didn't see many geese, maybe you got all of them?;)

Looking good! Pray for warm weather to keep them around. Hope to get over for the annual slay fest. Just need one more week to get caught up at work.

Those are some great photos of some great memories. I haven't even touched the ol' shotgun yet this season. By the way, glad to see you using shallots with those birds, use lots - we'll grow more.:D

Looks like a great day. I have been out for waterfowl 3 days in the past week and have only 3 birds to show for it. I hope we get some weather here soon to move them around.

Brine whole breasts in an apple cider brine and then smoke them with apple wood
I have got to try this. Thanks for posting the idea.

Paul

Making Jerky or brine and smoke are my two favorites with all the duck and goose I come across.... Congrats Nemont on the good shoot, I see that NE montana is still that good, grew up around Froid,
Matt

Would you mind sharing your apple cider brine recipe?

NE Mont: Nice hunt and pics. I switched to elk in Wyoming for a week but hope to get back on the ducks later this week. Lots of new geese along the Clarks Fork coming up from Wyoming yesterday hopefully there will be fresh birds in Gallatin County too. Looks like you got some in your neighborhood. What did you use for blinds?

Good pics Nemont, looks like you have feathers dialed in. Way to keep the kids involved.

Back