3D Mapping Beta on goHunt

Great tool for those that cant read or understand a topo map...which is going to create some long faces when this tool doesn't correlate to what's actually on the ground.

Experience ground truthing what you think you "see" on maps and 3d images is the ultimate "game changer".

What looks "good" on a topo, aerial photo, or 3d image may be a whole different story on the ground...for all kinds of reasons. I've been reading maps and photos for 40 years, google earth since about the time it was introduced. Still get fooled from time to time, by the reality of what's on the ground when I show up to places in person.

Last edited:
Great tool for those that cant read or understand a topo map...which is going to create some long faces when this tool doesn't correlate to what's actually on the ground.

Experience ground truthing what you think you "see" on maps and 3d images is the ultimate "game changer".

What looks "good" on a topo, aerial photo, or 3d image may be a whole different story on the ground...for all kinds of reasons. I've been reading maps and photos for 40 years, google earth since about the time it was introduced. Still get fooled from time to time, by the reality of what's on the ground when I show up to places in person.
Paper topo maps, OnX, Google Earth 3D - the hills are always steeper in person than they look on the map! o_O

I actually saw the new gohunt mapping video before the thread about OnX sponsorship change. I wondered how that was gonna work out but now it all makes sense. Looks pretty useful to me as a NR who currently uses onx and google earth for e-scouting.

Don't know if anyone else noticed this, but goHunt now has a very extensive mapping capability available that rivals OnX, but also includes a 3D mapping feature which is a game changer. It's essentially Google Earth coupled with the OnX capability. I just started toying around with it and will mess with it more later today, but so far I am VERY intrigued... I can now clearly see why the recent sponsorship change occurred.
I will look into it. But does it also pick up animals on the ground? So far, Google Earth and On-X, you have to look for colors that only exist on whatever you are hunt and your eyes have to be pretty sharp to pick them out.

Paper topo maps, OnX, Google Earth 3D - the hills are always steeper in person than they look on the map! o_O

Yes, and smaller ribbon cliffs, etc. aren't visible all the time even on air photos.

Topo's and 3d images also don't show: Downfall, vegetation types, etc. etc. that can really make a difference in if or how quickly you can cover the country.

Steepness is one thing, but looking at say, fuzzy gray colored vegetation on an air photo in Arizona...that's usually not a good thing. That is unless you really like hiking through thick stands of catclaw acacia and wait a minute bush.

What looks like a nice green, grassy open area in NW Montana/Idaho panhandle area is probably covered in alder, ceanothus etc. In the southern states the same "look" can be manzanita that is a real PITA to hike through.

I was also looking at some stuff last year on google earth in my sheep area, and what looked like sheep trails, was actual sediment layers in the rock.

The list goes on and on about what you think you can see.

All of these type of tools are great, but I've been wrong many a time about what I was looking at on a photo, map, etc. and what is actually on the ground. That varies widely depending on the country you're looking at.

Which would be cool if they were priced competitively with OnX, but it's a fair bit more.

Hopefully they are prepared to NOT bundle it with insider and offer it as a separate app and subscription purchase that will compete with the likes of "Basemap". On-x is "in my eyes" overpriced for what you get. I am not saying that it's not a superb hunters tool as it is. It's just overpriced given some competitors in the same space. Hopefully Go Hunt will see the value in separating their mapping app/tool from their insider subscription? Not every hunter needs a subscription to insider but every hunter can benefit from the tools of 3D Hunt mapping applications on a mobile device.

If all you need is 3d mapping I really don't understand why you're using anything but Google Earth, it's free and you can put damn near any form of spatial data into it.

Now if you want your phone to tell you who's property that bull is on while out of cell range, then that's where onx comes in. I use Onx for exactly 0 mapping, GE is way better. Hell, CalTOPO is way better.

The elevation shading is a game changer for me. Like big time. I've emailed this suggestion to onx years ago and the response was they were working on it. Its been too long....

Case in point: my moose unit e-scouting for this fall...so many hours wasted to get this done when it could be done in seconds??? I'm not very good at looking at a topo map and seeing the peaks and drainages, this really helps them pop for me.
Pink is 7k elevation. Blue is 8k.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-07-27-18-05-05.png
    Capture+_2020-07-27-18-05-05.png
    3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
When in OnX, just click on "my content" and then "export". You will have the option to create a .KML or .GPX file. You can use either and save it in your downloads folder. Then simply go to goHunt maps, click on the import button, select your file and you are good to go.
Got my OnX waypoints exported and then imported into GoHunt in just a few minutes with these instructions. Can't believe it was that simple. Thanks.

Hopefully they are prepared to NOT bundle it with insider and offer it as a separate app and subscription purchase that will compete with the likes of "Basemap". On-x is "in my eyes" overpriced for what you get. I am not saying that it's not a superb hunters tool as it is. It's just overpriced given some competitors in the same space. Hopefully Go Hunt will see the value in separating their mapping app/tool from their insider subscription? Not every hunter needs a subscription to insider but every hunter can benefit from the tools of 3D Hunt mapping applications on a mobile device.
I was just going to ask if there would be an option to buy just a membership for the mapping and not get all the other insider services. At this point I only hunt Idaho and don't really care to use all the filtering and draw odd tools.

I will look into it. But does it also pick up animals on the ground? So far, Google Earth and On-X, you have to look for colors that only exist on whatever you are hunt and your eyes have to be pretty sharp to pick them out.
So far the only tool that I can regularly find animals on is google earth.

Still haven’t made it to home base. My concern is I hunt the east more than than the west currently and have aspirations toward midwest deer and turkey hunts.

If Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Ohio, and Iowa aren’t included then that may be an issue with me.

The elevation shading is a game changer for me. Like big time. I've emailed this suggestion to onx years ago and the response was they were working on it. Its been too long....

Case in point: my moose unit e-scouting for this fall...so many hours wasted to get this done when it could be done in seconds??? I'm not very good at looking at a topo map and seeing the peaks and drainages, this really helps them pop for me.
Pink is 7k elevation. Blue is 8k.
YMMV, but topo lines look much simpler to read to me...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back