3D Mapping Beta on goHunt

stealthy_bowman

Don't know if anyone else noticed this, but goHunt now has a very extensive mapping capability available that rivals OnX, but also includes a 3D mapping feature which is a game changer. It's essentially Google Earth coupled with the OnX capability. I just started toying around with it and will mess with it more later today, but so far I am VERY intrigued... I can now clearly see why the recent sponsorship change occurred.

Last edited:
So far the clarity of the maps seem better on OnX, but this is Beta so we'll see how it evolves. Really do like the 3D capability though.

I’m excited about the elevation shading, that should allow you to really pinpoint what elevation sign is at different times of the year. As well ability to filter between springs and guzzlers is a nice feature. 75% of springs here in AZ are dry while guzzlers are more reliable.
GoHunt is going the AmazonPrime & Costco route, adding value to a subscription without increasing price. OnX creating a separate off-road product and requiring you to pay for both is going to hurt them in the long run.

I'm really intrigued. I posted something about 3D capability on the OnX thread a while ago. That's a game changer for sure. I hope they sell the mapping function separate from the drawing function. I don't want to buy something I don't need to get the one thing I want.

If gohunt can offer draw odds and onx capabilities I will switch unless onx offers good draw odds as well (which seems easier to implement than gohunt adding maps). Dont really care for the gohunt store point system.

Cool.

Regarding 3D scouting (Google Earth), it seems to me the mobile app is much easier and faster to navigate in than is the desktop, but the desktop is the only way to use other functions like navigate thru historical photos, adjust sun shading, etc.
(If I'm wrong and someone knows how to get those features on mobile please correct me.)

Those features in a mobile platform would be great.

If gohunt can offer draw odds and onx capabilities I will switch unless onx offers good draw odds as well (which seems easier to implement than gohunt adding maps). Dont really care for the gohunt store point system.

Yeah the real question might be: can onx waypoints and data be exported in a way that they could be easily uploaded to another platform?....if no, it would seem onx has the advantage in built-in switching costs. The gohunt draw odds, filtering, data organization, etc of publicly-available data could be fairly straightforward for competitors to replicate.

Have used both services at times in the past....Either way it will be an interesting business competition to watch....

Yeah the real question might be: can onx waypoints and data be exported in a way that they could be easily uploaded to another platform?....if no, it would seem onx has the advantage in built-in switching costs. The gohunt draw odds, filtering, data organization, etc of publicly-available data could be fairly straightforward for competitors to replicate.

Have used both services at times in the past....Either way it will be an interesting business competition to watch....
Took me less than a minute to create a .gpx file from onX and upload all my OnX waypoints in the goHunt map.

I am looking forward to checking this out when I get home.

The main thing I felt was missing from OnX was 3D imagery.

Bet it takes my technologically challenged butt longer than a minute.
When in OnX, just click on "my content" and then "export". You will have the option to create a .KML or .GPX file. You can use either and save it in your downloads folder. Then simply go to goHunt maps, click on the import button, select your file and you are good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fred Powell Sr
Back