GoHunt vs Onxmaps...for mapping

Bullbrl

Hey everyone-

My subscription with OnXmaps is due to come up soon and I'm looking at getting some opinions on the difference between the two. I've used OnXmaps for quite a few years and have had great luck with both the app and desktop versions but I do like the look and some of the tools with GoHunt a little bit better....at least I say that without having actually used it.

I know OnX has their own 3D but it doesn't look quite up to par with GoHunt as far as I can tell. If anyone from OnXmaps looks at this.....are there any other tools coming or updates to the 3D?

What are your thoughts? Has anyone switched from OnXmaps to the GoHunt mapping? Pro's and Con's?

I hope Randy chimes in on this as he's obviously used both.

Last edited:
I use both and use Google Earth for my e-scouting, nothing else comes close but I probably add more obscure stuff then the typical user. I may switch to gohunt once their phone app is online but they'll need to up their game on sat imagery and available layers, they're a bit short there. They do have nice 3d options on the web map side, better than onx I think.

I use both and use Google Earth for my e-scouting, nothing else comes close but I probably add more obscure stuff then the typical user. I may switch to gohunt once their phone app is online but they'll need to up their game on sat imagery and available layers, they're a bit short there. They do have nice 3d options on the web map side, better than onx I think.
Ok that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks. From what I could see online I thought their satellite imagery looked better than OnX but I may have to look at that again.

Until gohunt gets a good solid app released i’ll keep both. gohunt does have some nice mapping features but it’s still an incomplete product.

Hey everyone, still trying to figure a lot of this out, being new to western big game hunting, and trying to search as much as possible, vs starting new threads on the same subjects. Regarding the gohunt vs onx question, when talking about go hunt, are you referring to the insider option? From what I understand that will mainly be for planning, looking at draw odds, selecting units etc. But I think you can also map out and select waypoints and such. Can you export those waypoints over to something like onX or basemap? I also have seen basemap offers a feature similar to what you can do with gohunt but haven’t looked into it yet. So much info and so little time to do research and hopefully make the right selections 🤪

Hey everyone, still trying to figure a lot of this out, being new to western big game hunting, and trying to search as much as possible, vs starting new threads on the same subjects. Regarding the gohunt vs onx question, when talking about go hunt, are you referring to the insider option? From what I understand that will mainly be for planning, looking at draw odds, selecting units etc. But I think you can also map out and select waypoints and such. Can you export those waypoints over to something like onX or basemap? I also have seen basemap offers a feature similar to what you can do with gohunt but haven’t looked into it yet. So much info and so little time to do research and hopefully make the right selections 🤪
Gohunt Insider allows you to look at draw odds, units, species, states and they just came out with a new mapping system that is similar to onx and basemap. Essentially, you will use their mapping system as you would onx, so there is no need to export information from one mapping system to another.

Is there a rep from Gohunt on this forum? What is the status of their mobile app?

Take a look at Basemap as another alternative. I can't tell you much about Go Hunt because I have not used their mapping. I have used On X. Currently our group is hooked on Basemap and have found it to be very good in the field as well as for e-scouting. It's been solid for us so far. I personally have been using it for two seasons now both in state and out of state scouting and field use. Between Google earth and Basemap I have all I need both in the field and at the desk. I won't say it's better or worse as far as features or quality of imagery to either OnX or GoHunt but it's a fraction of the price and absolutely 100% does the job. Just an alternative for those looking for something more on the lines of "Best Bang for Buck"

Just my .02

Gohunt Insider allows you to look at draw odds, units, species, states and they just came out with a new mapping system that is similar to onx and basemap. Essentially, you will use their mapping system as you would onx, so there is no need to export information from one mapping system to another.
Thank you. Essentially, GoHunt is going to be or should be a one stop shop, especially after their mobile app is up and running, which I am not sure at this moment if it is or not. And I did see that the CPW website allows you to get a lot of this information for free, such as the post draw reports, harvest reports and they have an atlas that allows you do to do some filtering. As several members have stated, a lot of the info if not all the info is out there and free, it just takes some digging. What I do like about something like GoHunt is the one stop shop idea. You're paying for convenience, it's just a matter of what that is worth to someone. My two biggest hesitations are price and for me, only hunting one western state this year for big game. I just may give it a try though. Still doing some research.

Has anyone had any updated thoughts on the gohunt maps? I'm having a difficult time with how SLOW the onx webmap is. I have a brand new pc with great tech inside and it so sluggish, its almost unusable. I dont want to do all my escouting on my phone.

I use GE, ONX & gohunt and hats off to gohunt for the mapping improvements from previous years

Take a look at Basemap as another alternative. I can't tell you much about Go Hunt because I have not used their mapping. I have used On X. Currently our group is hooked on Basemap and have found it to be very good in the field as well as for e-scouting. It's been solid for us so far. I personally have been using it for two seasons now both in state and out of state scouting and field use. Between Google earth and Basemap I have all I need both in the field and at the desk. I won't say it's better or worse as far as features or quality of imagery to either OnX or GoHunt but it's a fraction of the price and absolutely 100% does the job. Just an alternative for those looking for something more on the lines of "Best Bang for Buck"

Just my .02
Not good hunting Wyoming pronghorn in my unit this fall. Numbers way down from blue tongue was the story we were hearing. Hunting hard all day every day I finally got to a situation to put some meat in the freezer and the pronghorn I was after was on public land, I think? Need to verify. Just then I get some prompt from Basemap to buy something. WTF is this? Well I can't let my Basemap subscription expire, not now (!), so I agree. Turns out I agreed to some rescue app for more money that I don't need. The worst part is I can no longer access my Basemap to verify the location of my pronghorn because all I get is this screen to finish my subscription for this app I don't want and it will NOT go away. I couldn't take the shot. It was a long trip home with such an ending to my hunt.
Turns out I could have taken the shot had I been able to verify my location.
Should I have taken more time to study WTF Basemap was trying to get me to agree to right as I was on my stalk?
I was a little busy at the time and what they were distracting me with was ONLY in interference that I wanted rid of ASAP.
I told Basemap my story of how they ruined my hunt.
They didn't care.
Basemap not recommended IMO.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back