300WSM 150gr for elk?

Is a 300WSM 150gr bullet big enough for a bull elk

• Yes

Votes: 88 93.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 6.4%

• Total voters

Cbrauly

I usually hunt with a 300WSM and use a 150gr bullet. I am very comfortable with the accuracy at distance and have be using this for a long time. After many years I finally drew a bull tag, and am wanting to know thoughts on if this round is big enough for an elk. I thought about stepping up to 180gr but not crazy about starting over with a new round. Buying a new rifle is not in the budget right now.

Is a 300WSM 150gr. big enough for a bull elk?

I use Barnes TSX 168's in my 300wsm. If you are using a well constructed bullet that penetrates and retains a high percentage of it's weight I think the 150 will be fine.

I'm killing them with 150 grain Hornady Interbonds in my 30-06, so you should have no problem with that 300WSM even though most would probably say go to the heavier grain bullet for that rifle.

I'd have no problem using that weight of bullet, depending on the construction. Worlds of difference between a 150gr Sierra Prohunter and a 150gr Barnes TTSX. Which 150gr bullet are you currently shooting?

You definitely do not need a new rifle. A pard has shot everything from pronghorn to brown bears with his 300 WSM.

The rifle will work just fine. As others have said, you have to pick your bullets wisely for a caliber that is sending them at high velocity. I would stay with a Partition, Accubond, Barnes, North Fork etc.

I recently made a load for a buddy of mine for that caliber. I used 200-grain Partitions at about 2825 fps. He has shot it out to 800 yards on targets and it has performed perfectly. He is going to be hunting in big bear country, so he feels a little better with the heavy Partition.

I have been shooting 165 grain Accubonds out of my 300 WSM for the past few years since I like to hunt with one gun and one load for all species. This load has been devastating on elk.

We have killed a lot of elk with 130 and 150 grain bullets (like Nosler Partitions) from a .270.

If you are shooting a quality bullet (like Accubonds, Nosler Partitions, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Barnes, etc), make a well placed shot and limit your range to say 300-350 yards I don't think you'd have any issues.

Last edited:
Like several have said here before, with a properly constructed bullet; a 150gr should perform well on Elk. The question I would raise is, what slug are you shooting, and what is your Muzzle Velocity. Most bonded bullets are rated for impact velocities of 3200fps on the top end. I have seen 150gr bonded slugs fail (come apart) on close shots at mule deer with the impact velocity over 3300fps. This shot was taken at 30-40yds.

If it were me, I'd stick to something like a Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded, Swift A-Frame or mono metal slug in a 150gr for elk out of any .30 Magnum. The Acubonds, Intebonds, Scirocco's and their Ilk IMHO are best with impact velocities under 3200fps. If you are comfortable with that, go ahead and use them.

I have shot something like 50 elk with my .270 Winchester using 150 gr. Hornady Spire Points. Never lost an elk, and most drop on impact. Jack O'Connor used a 130 gr. And the 150 gr. Hornady will tear up much less meat. Your rifle and bullet will work fine if you have the skills to use it.

Thanks for the info. I'm using Winchester Ballistic Silvertip. When I go through my remaining batch of rounds I will look into the bullets you all have mentioned for loading. I am comfortable and like the way my rifle shoots and will stick with it.

Thank you for you thoughts and doing the poll.

Since your rifle seems to like Winchester's ammo, I'd give their 150gr Etip load the first look and the 150gr PowerMax a second look. If you decide to stay with the Ballistic Silvertips, bump up the weight to 180gr as they are build more robustly than the 150s. The bullets jacket weighs about 60% of the total bullet weight for the 180s.

Since your rifle seems to like Winchester's ammo, I'd give their 150gr Etip load the first look and the 150gr PowerMax a second look. If you decide to stay with the Ballistic Silvertips, bump up the weight to 180gr as they are build more robustly than the 150s. The bullets jacket weighs about 60% of the total bullet weight for the 180s.

..ding, ding, ding.

I voted no, but with a well constructed bullet you will be just fine.

I am a little baffled by the no votes.

I understand that people don't kill elk with 30-30s and weaker rifles as often as they once did. I also know everybody has their stories about themselves or someone they know killing elk with a smaller/weaker rifle consistently and having no problems.

But a 30 caliber 150 gr bullet hurled at greater than 3000 fps is a hammer in my book. It is well above the necessary threshold for being effective on elk <400 yds. Maybe 150 grain is on the lower end of the threshold in terms of bullet weight, but it is certainly there, as long as it is a quality bullet like those listed above.

Anecdotally(because like I said, everybody has their own stories), my first elk was killed with a 7-30 Waters shooting a 130 gr bullet, and all of the rest of my elk have been killed with 150 gr bullets from a .308 or a 7.62 x 54R. Neither of which can do what the 300 WSM does, and neither have ever made me feel like I needed more. If I was reaching out beyond 350 I would probably change my mind.

If you are comfortable with where your rifle is shooting now, I would not change a thing.

Last edited:
I am a little baffled by the no votes. ...
To me it comes down to impact velocities. Strangely, I'd be more apt to recommend a 150Gr with a .308Win or an '06 than with a .300WSM. Impact velocities over 3000fps can be difficult to predict with lighter constructed slugs. The higher the impact velocity, the more important bullet construction becomes. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, Most bullet manufacturers rate their bonded slugs to impact velocities of 3200fps and many of the lighter constructed slugs like the CT Ballistic Silvertip that the OP shoots can be quite unstable at impact velocities over 3000fps. I'd hate to have an elk step out inside 100yds and hesitate to shoot because the bullet is flying too fast to insure proper terminal performance. To me, with a 150gr BST the range envelope for that rifle would start at approx 150yds where that slug drops back below 3000fps and extend out to how ever far the OP is comfortable shooting, not to exceed 500yds That is why, for me, there is hesitation about a 150gr BST with the .300WSM.

Hope that can provide some insight as to why some people said no. Velocity is a good thing, but you can have too much for slugs to expand properly.

Just my .02...

To me it comes down to impact velocities. Strangely, I'd be more apt to recommend a 150Gr with a .308Win or an '06 than with a .300WSM. Impact velocities over 3000fps can be difficult to predict with lighter constructed slugs. The higher the impact velocity, the more important bullet construction becomes. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, Most bullet manufacturers rate their bonded slugs to impact velocities of 3200fps and many of the lighter constructed slugs like the CT Ballistic Silvertip that the OP shoots can be quite unstable at impact velocities over 3000fps. I'd hate to have an elk step out inside 100yds and hesitate to shoot because the bullet is flying too fast to insure proper terminal performance. To me, with a 150gr BST the range envelope for that rifle would start at approx 150yds where that slug drops back below 3000fps and extend out to how ever far the OP is comfortable shooting, not to exceed 500yds That is why, for me, there is hesitation about a 150gr BST with the .300WSM.

Hope that can provide some insight as to why some people said no. Velocity is a good thing, but you can have too much for slugs to expand properly.

Just my .02...
What he said! I'd gladly hunt elk with a 300WSM and 150gr bullets given proper/adequate construction of the bullet. My concern would have nothing to do with the amount or lack of 'energy', as this combo has that in spades. It's whether or now the bullet does what I want it to at those speeds.

My no vote was mostly triggered by the cartridge. If I was shooting a magnum I would go for a heavier bullet. I shoot 180's out of my 06 just because my rifle shoots them well. I know shot placement is most important, my Wife kills her cow with a single well placed .243 round. She is particular about being close and perfect or She won't shoot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back