PEAX Equipment

30-30 hunts - Forests & Foothills

At 13 years old I started out with this gun that was my grandpa's. Upgraded a few years later but it still gets out once in a while.

11/28/2020
View attachment 184708
When I was a kid, that was my dream rifle! Even had a plastic model of it on the wall in my bedroom. Strangely I've never even shot one! Over the years I became a bolt fan for what ever reason. Even bought a bolt rifle a year ago just to load cast bullet's in for hunting, go figure!

A .30-30 lever gun has been on my wishlist for many years. Hoping to pick one up in the next few months. I'm new to western hunting, but I totally agree with the sentiment expressed on this thread. It seems big game hunting stopped being about a test of your skills as an outdoorsman and became an exercise in living out tactical fantasies. I've been an upland bird hunter for several years. A very different mentality/expression in that crowd. We've strayed a long way from the time when just about every outdoorsman hunted/fished primarily to put food on the table and in the freezer.

I've had my 94 since 1975. I used it for hunting for many years. Deer & pigs mainly, even took a couple elk with it too. From 5 feet to 150++...
With the longer distances I find myself hunting in NM most of the time these days I leave it in the truck for back up,or by the door for close range defense.

I'm going to start out this season. I picked up my first lever... A Win M64 in 30-30. I can't see open sights very well so I had to stick a peep on there. But, it shoots "minute of deer" with them. 1.5" high at 100 yards with 2" groups. 150gr factory Winchester ammo.

What did you "upgrade" to? Whatever it is..... it ain't no Savage 99!
30ish years ago the Savage 110 .270 seemed like a pretty good upgrade to my teenage self. I've taken a whole bunch of big game with that .270, but you are correct that it isn't the same as that old lever gun.

I grew up shooting my Great Grandfather's Winchester Model 64 in 25-35. I got 2 or 3 Blacktail bucks with it Last Century.....

jcm 004_edited.jpg

I have hunted with 30-30 carbines for many decades. Deadly accurate out to about 150 yards or so which suits my spot and stalk approach to hunting mule deer. This heavy bodied big forky was downed in the Black Hills National Forest before South Dakota implemented antler point restrictions.

In this age of long distance shooting, does anyone else continue to hunt with a 30-30 carbine? For me at least, the stalking part to shoot from 30-30 distance is the highlight of my hunt.

TR

View attachment 184298
Well I'm late to this thread but absolutely. My dad always used a 3030 but I looked down on it because I had a 270, now 30 plus years later with dad gone I have fallen in love with lever guns. I have two Henrys one in 3030 and one in 44. I've taken several with the 3030 and I have worked up some nice handloads for the 44 this year as it needs some time in the field too. Granted I still have highpowered rifles but where I chase whitetails in Missouri they are not normally needed.

I'm going to start out this season. I picked up my first lever... A Win M64 in 30-30. I can't see open sights very well so I had to stick a peep on there. But, it shoots "minute of deer" with them. 1.5" high at 100 yards with 2" groups. 150gr factory Winchester ammo.
I have the same problems with my eyes. Which is why I put 2-7 scopes on both my lever guns but I thought seriously about going the peep route glad to hear they working well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back