Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2019 Nebraska Mule Deer

JGJohnson

Nebraska Rifle Mule Deer – November 2019

Nebraska’s 9 day rifle season fell roughly a week later than normal this year. I had spent the fall wondering exactly what that would mean. Would the rut be tapering off, or would it fall better?

I missed the opener weekend because I was on call. As a veterinarian on call, there is no worse karma if you are on call than trying to do something that you absolutely have to finish. I just knew if I went hunting, I would be stalking the buck of a lifetime and my phone would ring. Worse yet, I would have a buck down a not short distance from a road.

A Colorado elk hunt had fallen through in late summer leaving me with plenty of vacation days. Thus, the decision was made to completely forego opening weekend and take vacation the following week. This would leave me Tuesday through the following Sunday to try and fill my tag.

The opening weekend came and went with only some mild pain. “All the mature deer were surely dead by now,” was stuck in my mind. I spent most of Monday at work preg checking cows and worked into the late evening helping finish up some sale barn work. In my travels that day I had seen several groups of deer. First, a lone whitetail buck was observed. Is the rut winding down? Once out of the low ground and into the hills, all the other groups seen were mule deer, and all had mature bucks with them. Muley’s are still rutting!

Monday evening was spent giving all the gear one last rundown with the help of my almost 3 year old daughter. At times she is just about as excited about hunting as I am. One evening we were play fishing on the steps. She pulled one out and described in her words, “Wow, a great big one!” As she was grunting and straining to hang on to it she says, “Daddy, quick, shoot it so we can eat it!” That made me proud.
20190914_182458.jpg

Tuesday morning found me overlooking a large valley before dawn. This valley is actually where I took my buck last year. (Read about it here https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/2018-nebraska-mule-deer.286399/ ) Could it produce two years in a row? If it would, does that grant it honey hole status?

I choose this location for my first morning for one simple reason. I was technically still on call until 8AM on Tuesday morning, it is less than 10 miles from town, and the hike in to the glassing point is only a half mile or so. With light slowly gaining I spotted a porcupine bumbling the way they do up a coulee. That would end up being the highlight of my morning. At 6:30, right when the glassing was getting good, karma struck! The on call phone rang. A client’s sheep guardian dog had been hit by a car. So ended my morning hunt. I made it back to town about the time they pulled in to the clinic. The dog was stabilized and handed off to another doctor once they arrived for the day. My on call time was officially done for the week and it was time to get serious about finding a buck.

The rest of Tuesday was spent in some serious canyon country unproductively glassing bedding areas that had been located in years previous.

Wednesday morning found me glassing a large piece of CRP at daylight. Immediately north of the CRP was a pivot of rye, and all the area surrounding it rolled into sandhills. I caught one doe cruising out of the rye well before daylight. I also found a freshly dead prairie chicken while rounding a dune to get to a different glassing point.
Screenshot_20191120-173333_Snapchat (2).jpg

At roughly 7:15 I glassed a buck and a doe roughly 2 miles out. My el cheapo binoculars could not resolve much of the antlers other than I could see sun shining off of them. I watched them work into a range of dunes and disappear. After loading up the gear, I set off after them. I headed for a low dune about ½ a mile east of where I thought they would bed so I could get the wind right and come in with the sun at my back. While booking it over to my reassessment point, the wind decided to come up and flat get with it. I eventually relocated the pair bedded in classic mule deer fashion. They were just on the leeward side of a roll with a 4-600 yard view in most every other direction. The buck was young and carrying what I figured was his first set of antlers. I snuck out and left him be. If he doesn’t get stupid, he will be a dandy in about 4 years. As long as he stays where he was, he will be safe.

Screenshot_20191120-173401_Snapchat (2).jpg
The rest of Wednesday was spent still-hunting through some coulees out of the wind. The deer were looking for cover from the wind and I really didn’t want to be glassing into it either. Lots of sign was seen, but few deer were saw.

Thursday morning was blessed with 4” of wet heavy snow. A large loop though some new country found nothing more than a large group of bulls (bovine variety) bedded out of the wind….and a coyote….and the spot where I’m going to be for the teal opener next September. Dinner back in town and a short nap consumed some of Thursday afternoon. It is vacation time after all! Thursday evening was used to sit on a choke point coming out of a large canyon system up onto a wheat field on top. The tracks and droppings said that quite a few deer were using it. That evening one young buck came through. Not quite what I was looking for.

Friday morning I was back on top of a dune overlooking the same area I glassed Wednesday morning. It was just too good and I couldn’t stay away. Well before daylight, as if they were gray ghosts, a herd of mule deer came out of the rye and started crossing the CRP corridor to bedding points beyond. The herd was made up of at least 10 does and one buck I could visualize antlers on actively pursuing a doe. It was still pretty dark and again, my binoculars couldn’t make out much more than antlers at roughly a half mile. These binos really struggle during twilight.

Half way across the CRP, I started to lose track of deer. Some started to bed, some continued to work south, and some moved southeast. The doe that had bedded soon rose and moved off as well. Within 20 minutes they were all out of my view behind a line of cedars and I had lost track of all of them. Decision time. An old homestead grown up with brush sits on the far corner of the CRP. Had they bedded there, somewhere out in the CRP, or on into the hills?

As I was analyzing, I glassed beyond the CRP. A little over a mile out I caught a white rump. I watched as the group went over a low saddle between two larger dunes. They were lined out and headed somewhere. I counted 8 head go over the ridge. That left 3 deer unaccounted for. While contemplating my next move, a young fork buck came back out into the CRP. He was limping and obviously looking for somewhere else to be. As he was moving across, another young buck with a full but very spindly frame also hustled out into the CRP from the direction of the homestead. My analysis: someone had just put a whooping on these two young whippersnappers. I decided I would like to meet that ‘someone’ and I figured he was bedded in the old homestead.

While moving towards the homestead I thought I might as well try and find a good ambush point in the area of the cedars to be at the next morning. Once down by the cedars, I was marveling at all of the smaller trees that had been trashed by rubbing. I turn around and on the edge of the homestead there stands a buck. Through the binoculars, I could evaluate a fairly heavy frame that was just inside his ears, maybe 20” wide or so. Definitely worth an attempt.

I had him at roughly 200 yards, but with the tall CRP grass, the only shot I had was offhand. That wasn’t going work. Thus, the stalk was on. I dropped my pack and heavy gloves and crawled into the grass. I closed to about 100 yards but was now in a low depression and couldn’t clear the grass, evening standing. The buck was feeding away on the fall forbs and was clueless. I moved into 75 yards and peeked again. The buck was standing alert but wasn’t locked on to me. I needed to move forward another 5 yards to clear one last clump of big bluestem and I would have a clear shot, sitting, at 70 yards. He was as good as dead. I was already planning the pack out. I would be back in town before noon. All my effort was finally going to pay off.

I think everyone knows where this is going. I got to my shooting point and slowly sat up. No buck. I frantically glassed the surrounding brush to see if I could locate him. Nothing. I was seriously bummed. How could I have screwed that up? I hustled to a rise and glassed everywhere I would think a buck would slip away through, but to no avail, he was gone. Damn! I had pushed a little too hard and I paid for it.

I spent the next hour and a half trying to find the bigger herd from first light, but mostly I was just feeling sorry for myself. I could not turn up the herd, nor the vanished buck. I had resolved that they had quit the country and that I might as well head to town and treat my wife to dinner out over her noon hour.

Last edited:
Between my location in the hills and my rig at the road was a half mile long row of cedars and low thickets. The ranch I was hunting had put this strip in at some point for wildlife habit. It was roughly 75 wide and ran directly east and west. I thought I might as well still hunt it on the way out. I had a mostly south wind which I figured would work if I stayed mostly to the north side of the cover and moved slow.

Before I moved into the cover, I tied my heavy gloves to my pack, unslung my rifle, chambered a round, and folded the flap of my bino harness out of the way. After a few steps, I remembered to slip my right shoulder out of my pack’s shoulder strap. Leaving the waist belt in place kept everything secure enough for a still hunt.

I enjoy still hunting when I can. It’s relaxing, yet taxing at the same time. It had started to snow great big flakes. The snow, the quiet, and the country were all beautiful and really helped take the sting off of the blown stalk a few hours earlier.

I was doing my best to move slooooowwwww. But before long, one step, glass, one step, glass turned into 4 or 5 steps, glass, move across a ten yard opening, glass, etc. I was getting lazy. My laziness was rewarded with a flash of movement about 15 yards ahead. I froze and intently glassed the area. I couldn’t turn anything up. Taking one more slow step in that direction blew the deer out and all I saw was a white rump bouncing through the thicket.

At this point, I had around 100 yards left to still hunt before I ran out of cover. I was finding immense amounts of sign. Buck and doe tracks in the sand, droppings, and numerous fresh rubs on not small cedar trees. This would definitely be a spot to keep an eye on.

I was doing my best to continue to still hunt the last remaining cover, even though I knew I had blown everything out of there with my impatience. I was crossing an opening when in my periphery I saw what I could swear was a deer head and antlers.

They were in a thicket about 50 yards to my right, up wind from me. I was about two more steps from a cedar. I gave him the old, “I will pretend I don’t see you and keep walking”. I never looked at him and calmly moved behind the cedar. Behind the cedar, I readied my rifle, quietly turned off the safety, and slowly leaned out.

The deer I saw was obviously mature. A large body frame, heavy antlers wider than his ears, and a few companion does. It was now or never. At 50 yards, he was quartering towards me, showing me his left shoulder. I put the crosshair right on the point of the shoulder and squeezed the trigger.

At the shot, I instantly worked the bolt and found the buck in the scope again as I was coming out of recoil. He had turned around and was now quartering away showing me his right side. I swung on him and gave him the second shot as he was taking his first jump after turning.

I am a firm believer in practical riflemanship. When I practice I work on two things: good breathing, trigger control, and sight alignment from practical field positions utilizing a shooting sling when applicable; and working the bolt in recoil so the next round is ready ASAP. Now I don’t know exactly how long it takes a mule deer to turn and jump, but it can’t be very long. I really impressed myself with how quickly and instinctually that second shot came. I never even thought about it, it just happened. Practice pays. (Side note: I shoot a Winchester Model 70 which has a fixed blade ejector. The speed of bolt operation dictates how hard and far ejection goes. I hunted for my brass and could not locate either piece within 5-7 yards. That bolt was moving!)

The thicket exploded with deer. I moved through the thicket to try and get a direction that the group had headed. However, there was no need. He hadn’t gone 20 yards before he crashed. I gave him a few minutes to expire and took some time to collect myself.
20191122_104946.jpg
I took some time to and get some nice pictures before I got him quartered. I failed to do a good job on this part last year and still kind of regret it. Being by myself this was going to be a trick. I tried with mild success to use a selfie stick but it was somewhat lacking. I then learned that my phone camera has a timer and it fits perfectly between the bag and the top of the frame on my Mystery Ranch pack. Enter makeshift phone tripod. It actually worked quite well with a little hustling between the positioned phone and the deer.
20191122_105140.jpg
20191122_105508.jpg
20191122_105948.jpg
With photos captured, the quartering commenced. My Bark River Classic Drop Point Hunter made light work of breaking the buck down. Premium steel with a superior heat treat means no sharpening needed during processing. After the buck was packed into game bags and the head separated from the spine, my knife stilled shaved hair off my arms. That’ll do.

20191122_111120.jpg
The pack out was right at one mile over gently rolling sandhills. I made two trips this year. Last year I did a whole buck in one trip and it was too much. I didn’t weigh my loads this year, but they were much more manageable. Being in better shape may have played a factor as well!
20191122_141558.jpg
In summary, I hiked 31.25 miles this year in 4 days of hunting. I saw 13 does, 4 young bucks, and two mature bucks, one of which I harvested. It was definitely one that won’t soon be forgotten! Time to get training for next year.

Gear Summary:

Rifle: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade, 30-06; Leupold VX2 3-9X40

Ammo: 180 grain Federal PowerShock

Binoculars: Leupold BX2 10X42

Pack: Mystery Ranch Pintler

Knife: Bark River Classic Drop Point Hunter
Screenshot_20191127-191453_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! I'm digging that knife you got I am in search of a new fixed blade for the pack.

Great buck awesome write up ( killed a good amount of time at wok). I also love my Bark River knives I even have a Wolverine Knife Co knife.

Bark River is a great “sleeper” knife company! Love their home state myself....

I really like yer shooting iron & choice of cartridge; classic stuff there sir!

Nice work on the buck sir congratulations!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back