Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Motorheads: the noisy new force in the west

"Why don't you practice what you preach?" Cause you started it by insulting me and Buzz. You broke your word on the "Challenge". I suspect you just didn't know what a big word like "grandstand" meant, so it might not have been deliberate. You've been trying to weasel out of it ever since I pointed out your misuse of the word.

"the term refers to a deliberate attempt to win applause from an audience."

How many times have I posted here in SI that I don't care what anyone thinks of my opinion---a dozen? Somehow you have the egotistical idea that I care what you think. I don't care at all. Never have. My posts are not a deliberate attempt to win applause. I doubt very much that Buzz's are either.

No sense arguing with me over whether or not it's a compliment. Argue with Webster. Anyone can read the definition and see that it's not.

If you hadn't tried to start trouble by bringing me into this topic with your insult none of this would have transpired. Continuing it with someone who argues about a clear definition of a word in the dictionary is pointless. You can go around calling people "grandstanders" all the rest of your life and think you're complimenting them, but don't be surprised if they know the actual meaning of the word and take offense.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-03-2003 09:51: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I thought I answered Marland on the road hunter comment, but I'll go back to the original post.

I went back and added "might". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ithaca I don't think you have any room to complain
footinmouth.gif
grouphug.gif

He are a few more definitions for you:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> grandstanding - the term refers to a deliberate attempt to win applause from an audience. In political speech, a politician might be accused of grandstanding when he makes statements or speeches that are designed to win quick applause from the public, or certain sections of it, but which do not contribute substantially to the matter under discussion (although the politician will undoubtedly deny that he is grandstanding: he is, of course, making serious and constructive proposals.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.fast-times.com/political/dictF2H.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> grandstanding
noun
AMERICAN INFORMAL
acting or speaking in a way intended to attract the good opinion of other people who are watching <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=grandstanding*1+0

noun
acting or speaking in a way intended to attract attention and to influence the opinion of people who are watching
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want an apology, now that's rich. Remember, I said <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I agree to the challenge, but only in exchanges with other signers (kinda like NATO). If they don't sign on, then the Geneva Convention does not apply to them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Likewise, when one attacks, the protection from like attacks is lifted.
You referred to me as a road hunter (02/26/03 @08:49,edited to include the word "might" 02/27/03 @10:59, you declined the opportunity to post a retraction 02/26/03 @15:35)

Thanks for the clarification of what the "BB" was.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> To call someone a "grandstander" is an insult, personal attack, and a derogatory comment.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Remember <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> ...although the politician will undoubtedly deny that he is grandstanding: he is, of course, making serious and constructive proposals. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I didn't bring you here, you stomped in all on your own.

Insult you, not hardly.
You came here to do what you do best, and pick a fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> grandstanding - the term refers to a deliberate attempt to win applause from an audience. In political speech, a politician might be accused of grandstanding when he makes statements or speeches that are designed to win quick applause from the public, or certain sections of it, but which do not contribute substantially to the matter under discussion (although the politician will undoubtedly deny that he is grandstanding: he is, of course, making serious and constructive proposals.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> No sense arguing with me over whether or not it's a compliment. Argue with Webster. Anyone can read the definition and see that it's not.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Good the definitions I used came out of Cambridge Intermnational, check the reference.

noun
AMERICAN INFORMAL
acting or speaking in a way intended to attract the good opinion of other people who are watching
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Are you outta cheese yet?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

No thanks. But I'd go for some target practice though, you go stand in front of Sadam, and shield him for me would ya?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back