30-30 hunts - Forests & Foothills

T.R.

I have hunted with 30-30 carbines for many decades. Deadly accurate out to about 150 yards or so which suits my spot and stalk approach to hunting mule deer. This heavy bodied big forky was downed in the Black Hills National Forest before South Dakota implemented antler point restrictions.

In this age of long distance shooting, does anyone else continue to hunt with a 30-30 carbine? For me at least, the stalking part to shoot from 30-30 distance is the highlight of my hunt.

TR

big muley 30-30 2.JPG

Love mine grew up packing a 94 Winchester now I have the Marlin JM 336. Love to pack it around have yet to shoot a deer with it hopefully this season. Picked the 336 up about two years ago.

I carry my lever guns several times a year. They handle very well and are well suited to several spots I hunt.

Last edited:
In the big woods of Ontario you typically can’t see further than 75 meters so the advantages of massive scopes and long range tuned rifles are moot.

Levers carry well, are compact while negotiating brush, and offer fast follow up shots.

Traditional Marlin/Winchester levers in 30-30, 35 Remington, 32 Special, etc are still seen. Plenty of modern levers like the BLR too.

Last edited:
No .30-30, but does .38-55 count? The trajectory isn't as flat as a .30-30 laser.

vKXvB1e.jpg

I love hunting with my old 30-30. These photos are both within the last 5 years. I seem to hunt differently with it - for the better. I know I have to be closer so I act like it. It's more of an archer / muzzy hunter mindset I suppose. Much more so than when I take out the .270 and 300 yard shots are no problem.
Screenshot_20210101-093540.pngScreenshot_20210101-061158.png

Last edited:
I loved hunting with a lever 30-30 with open sights for elk and muley's in timber. I gave it up when I got into traditional muzzleloader hunting. I always kept my shots under 75 yds just like with the muzzleloader.

I used the 170gr Partition.

I have killed half a dozen whitetail does with a Winchester Model 94 that I traded for about 8 years ago. It's a fun rifle to hunt with. I think I am going to try and kill an antelope with it the next time I get a rifle tag here in Nebraska.

I love deer and bear hunting with my old “Dirty Thirty.” Vintage, sleak, and old school.

Reminds me of the long-gone hunters and their stories from the 1960s and 1970s. Simpler times back then. I will never get rid of my Winchester 94.

I have a Model 1881 Marlin in 40-60 but have never hunted with it and probably never will. It's a collectable. But I agree with your hunting technique. My Springfield '06 seldom kills anything further than 150 yards, even on the prairies of Montana. Stalking up close and personal is the ultimate challenge. It proves the mettle of the man ... not the equipment.Marlin2.JPG

I inherited one of the top eject Model 94’s from my uncle and it still gets out. I know it’s hard to beat the nostalgia of those old lever guns and the stories they carry but I have high hopes for the new Marlins!

I admire whay are doing, but I no longer hunt with a 30-30. I am 73 and my eyes are too old. I have had two Marlins 336's and three 94's over my near 60 big game seasons. I still have two 94's, one with a long barrel but all is blurry and putting a scope on a low combed rifle does not work well for me.

I started out at 11 in East, Texas, a ss 20ga/#3 buck.( gift from dad cost $26) Then went to a Mod 1148 "kick your head off" 12ga with buck ( $60 used I paid for) ( we ran deer with dogs until I was 16) From the 12ga I went to a jammomatic Universal .30 Carbine ( traded a saddle for it) and at 15 and finally worried to death a yearling with it. Then they outlawed running deer with dogs. We had to to learn how to find and hunt "deer" instead of "deer crossings", ha. I bought a Mod 94 Classic Carbine at 16 (1969) with my own money. I killed deer/hogs/small game/varmints all with 150 Remington corlokts. My longest shot was 90 steps, my "average was 20-60 yds." I upgraded later, but always enjoy a light levergun. My last Muley was a young but wide 3pt at 75yds with a peep sighted Marlin 1894 20" Cowboy in .45 Colt. handloaded 250XTP. About 11 yrs ago. Have owned many Marlins ( best for scoping & upgrades) but a peep and fine gold bead is a dream! Out West, you can still hunt the edges of aspen & black timber for that "under 150yds" shot.

Last edited:
still love packing my 94 around when Im hunting older clear cuts and poking around the logging roads. Either the 94 or my 336 in 35 Remington.

I have hunted with 30-30 carbines for many decades. Deadly accurate out to about 150 yards or so which suits my spot and stalk approach to hunting mule deer. This heavy bodied big forky was downed in the Black Hills National Forest before South Dakota implemented antler point restrictions.

In this age of long distance shooting, does anyone else continue to hunt with a 30-30 carbine? For me at least, the stalking part to shoot from 30-30 distance is the highlight of my hunt.

TR

View attachment 184298
I think you'd find that today most hunter's are not really hunter's but rather shooter's. There seems to be no glory in a good stalk and lots in a 500yd shot! If there was no sport hunting and all hunting was done to really put meat in the freezer, the number of long range hunter's would drop a good deal. I mean for you and your family to be able to eat meat, you'd learn more about hunting and less about 500+ yd shooting. I believe those bragging about their long range abilities are actually stroking their own ego.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back