2A advocates should pray for a full recovery

Dominated, I think having a diversity of generational perspectives is important... but yes I agree it's way out of whack.

View attachment 216446
View attachment 216447
I hate lifetime appointments - drives all kinds of dumb behavior, staggered 15-ish yr appointments should be plenty.

But to the broader issue, I wonder how these graphs would look if normalized for life expectancies at time of birth of the various congressman and justices? (life inflation adjustment).

Last edited:
But, America shouldn't be lead by 70 and 80 year olds.
I'd argue that "we" via our hyper partisanism and the media have made being a congressperson a really shitty job, and the only people who want to do it, are old, because old person just don't give-a-shit anymore.

I'd argue that "we" via our hyper partisanism and the media have made being a congressperson a really shitty job, and the only people who want to do it, are old, because old person just don't give-a-shit anymore.
Thick old skin and bad hearing makes all the whining more tolerable. You could be on to something here.

Exactly, it shouldn't, but it's one of those arbitrary things we bucket people Red or Blue with. I brought it up only because Thomas is a great example of breaking with common stereotypes of R v. D.

Kinda feels like they are just taking the buckets and trying to make them more buckets... in generally my opinion is that there is not a spectrum, that's a fraudulent notion.
Kline's Why We Are Polarized does a good job offering thoughts of how we got to this point. It is not an accident. In the 70s, scholars and pundits pushed for a stark contrast between the parties. That elected officials should better reflect those stark positions and not reflect their local conditions, we shouldn't have North Dakotan Dem senators who were more "conservative" than New York GOP ones. They got what they wanted and it hasn't worked out so great for the rest of us. Not sure there is a good path back.

As an aside above though continuing along your content and our nominated Judge @wllm1313 . I was concerned for Jackson's responses to Senator Cruz's queries about her board status on the private school that is driven by Critical Race Theory among other content.

I hate that man. There is something so smug and smarmy about him that if he shared his deep enduring support for the Minnesota Vikings I would be forced to become a Packers fan.

I hate that man. There is something so smug and smarmy about him that if he shared his deep enduring support for the Minnesota Vikings I would be forced to become a Packers fan.
All he needs is the look down your nose spectacles. He took advanced smarm in law school...

Extreme dislike is a very broad brush.

I disagree totally.

The barrier to entry is so high, it's near impossible to enter. That barrier was created by the generation in power.

Hard to compete with folks like Pelossi who've spent decades exchanging "favors".

I'm not wild about lifetime appointments either. But, at minimum, there should be a mandatory retirement age.

We retire cops/fireman young before their bodies age, doesn't seem unfair to retire folks before their mental ability diminishes.

65 seems fair

I disagree totally.

The barrier to entry is so high, it's near impossible to enter. That barrier was created by the generation in power.

Hard to compete with folks like Pelossi who've spent decades exchanging "favors".

I'm not wild about lifetime appointments either. But, at minimum, there should be a mandatory retirement age.

We retire cops/fireman young before their bodies age, doesn't seem unfair to retire folks before their mental ability diminishes.

65 seems fair
Depends on who owns the furniture.

I hate lifetime appointments - drives all kinds of dumb behavior, staggered 15-ish yr appointments should be plenty.
I'm not so sure for our SCOTUS. I believe it is framed correctly. IMO, the political divisiveness would strangle SCOTUS appointments if judges knew their time w/in that position.

I'd rather have Ginsburg and Scalia types than term limit embraced lobbyists influence. Seems the collective tend to embrace dissenting opinions with a respect vs our congress turds and Pres/VP's, etc.

I think it works well considering retirement and political appointment timing, at least so far history has aligned for a 9 judge panel

If I was to design, I'd rather have a Congressional voting process that requires a further bipartisan selection. This is random thought and not near detailed though something that requires a % of each represented party's support to enable a SCOTUS appointment pass Congressional muster - albeit, maybe 10%? ... shooting from the hip thought.

Last edited:

But to the broader issue, I wonder how these graphs would look if normalized for life expectancies at time of birth of the various congressman and justices? (life inflation adjustment).
I believe it wouldn't look as stark but that it still ticks up faster than average life expectancy. That said, say we come up with some wonder drug and live to 200, does that meant that one generation that makes up a minority of the population should control the vast majority of the representation.

I find this interesting... so this is number of seats in the senate controlled by each generation over time. I added in the numbers, that is the age of oldest cohort in each generation at that year.

So currently the oldest Gen X are 57

Senate seats at that age by generation
Millennials = 0
Generation X = 21
Boomers = ~40
Silent = ~ 62

Oldest Millennials are 41
Millennials = 1
Gen X = 0
Boomers = ~6
Silent = ~ 8

Point being the Silent generation were more disproportionately represented then the boomers, and that Millennials and Gen X are way bellow either.

1648138686143.png

Time (life experience) embraces sage opinions, imo. Not always though I'd take that over AOC personalities any day of the year

I disagree totally.

100% disagree, the barrier has never been lower. All you have to do is be angry, cast blame far and wide, make a lot of noise.

Good chart, but it really takes 5-6 terms to really see the subtle differences.

Also, the majority of cases are largely apolitical and hyper-technical. I wished the authors of these tables would pull those out - it would be a much starker picture between the extremes and better flesh out the difference within otherwise similar judges.
Question and I don't know the answer was just thinking about this, could being political be described as adhering to a dogma rather than a logical construct.

My thesis is that neither party maintain a consistent logical paradigm "picky and choosey" is my critique.

Therefore in my mind "political" justices are those that depart from their central constitutional believe, textualist etc. on certain issues but not others. "Oh I think this away about all these things, but then guns I through that out"

How to you feel about using that bar to look at jurists?

Is that all bullshit?

I disagree totally.

65 seems fair
Partly true... but then you have AOC, MTG, Boebert, Cawthorn etc...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back