Public Lands Package moves forward in Congress

Don't feel bad, I'm sure you are in the majority. Raise a glass!

Forgive me if my math ended up on the plus side. I can't appreciate every detail in the bill, so I read what I can on my own, then read summaries of various groups that highlight selected, usually contentious portions of the bill and make a decision. I come here in hopes folks with far more knowledge than me will weigh in with detail and talking points for making an educated decision.

I have the feeling if Oak had his way the wilderness designation wouldn't be in there. Unfortunately all the other bad stuff would still be there. Might as well grab what you can.

Interestingly enough in spite of all the coverage on what is attached to this bill I haven't heard what is in the main bill. Can we still detain and/or assassinate Americans without due process? I remember reading somewhere that that might be a bad idea to keep around.

I have the feeling if Oak had his way the wilderness designation wouldn't be in there. Unfortunately all the other bad stuff would still be there. Might as well grab what you can.

Interestingly enough in spite of all the coverage on what is attached to this bill I haven't heard what is in the main bill. Can we still detain and/or assassinate Americans without due process? I remember reading somewhere that that might be a bad idea to keep around.

You obviously don't have a clue about me. Why don't you stick to what you know.

Do you want it there or not?

Oak is as solid a conservationist as there is. He is absolutely right to bring up the inequities in the bill. There were a lot of trades made and there were some very bad things in terms of wild sheep conservation and public lands. Those of us who support pieces of this bill need to recognize that and be willing to work to fix those problems.

Oak is as solid a conservationist as there is. He is absolutely right to bring up the inequities in the bill. There were a lot of trades made and there were some very bad things in terms of wild sheep conservation and public lands. Those of us who support pieces of this bill need to recognize that and be willing to work to fix those problems.
"Fixing those problems" that helped you get what you what you wanted?

I may as well weigh in. Here's what I think: The Rocky Mountain Front and North Fork of the Flathead are two of the most valuable, irreplaceable pieces of wildlife habitat in North America. I took my first Montana buck and caught my first trout on a fly on the N Fork; my son took his first steps on the Rocky Mtn Front. As close as it gets to sacred ground for me. For 15 years I have helped a bunch of good people work to protect those areas. The bills were not what i would have written, but no one made me king. They are damn sight better than the status quo. That's democracy and I'm all for it. Likewise, I am not happy those bills were attached to the Devil's Christmas tree. But I am also not naive to how Congress works. I can only speak as a Montana sportsman and I say it's a day worth celebrating. Our kids will thank us for this. If you doubt it, I invite you to spend some time with me up the North Fork or on the Front. They belong to all of us, by God.

This is a painful thread to read; wildlife advocates and their priorities (all great priorities) being pitted against each other. As painful as it is to watch how Congress governs in such a stupid manner.

Some who have worked hard for wildlife and landscapes got their projects approved. Others who have worked tirelessly for wildlife and landscapes got a kick in the crotch.

As much as I cheered hearing that my delegates stepped forward and listened to hunters in their state, part of me is wondering if it is worth the price being paid elsewhere. My opinion of Congress was not very high prior to this. The manner in which this kind of bill gets taped together is disgusting.

Yes, the lands protected are stunning public wildlife habitat. Yes, the fate of wild sheep in the west just got a lot dimmer.

I don't know all the people involved as volunteers for the cause of wild sheep, but of the ones I know, none do more for the cause of those amazing animals than does Oak. He works tirelessly for wild sheep, without recognition, at the expense of his family and finances. For sheep to take such an asshanding in this bill can only serve to cause Oak and other sheep advocates to question the futility of their work.

Oak can use this forum for any and all things that might help his work on behalf of wild sheep. I hope all of us who benefited from the good parts of this bill step forward to advocate on behalf of wild sheep. Oak and his fellow sheep advocates can use any, and all, help we can provide.

Does anyone have a copy of the final grazing improvement wording?

I can't find anything other than the link on the first page. My question is, can is there any recourse after the fact for a chitty lessee, conflicts with wildlife or similar? Or does the new language give lessees far too much protection.

I can't find much from the serial litigators.

Back