2A advocates should pray for a full recovery

That graph is interesting. Hope you don't mind, thought I'd post it up.

Graph_of_Martin-Quinn_Scores_of_Supreme_Court_Justices_1937-Now.png
Oh brother… 🤦‍♂️

Like what did “liberal” or “conservative” mean in 1935 what does it mean now? Where’d we put the Dixiecrats… Bush 1 v. Trump cause those guys are not in the same party. How is that related to opinions based on facts of individual cases…yeah I read the methodology it’s silly.

Judicial philosophies 👍 sure…

But like the liberal to conservative scale is just stupid in my mind.

Our society is getting so stupid.

Bloods v Crips make about as much sense.

Wllmñ Dan's list is stupid or society as a whole?

You're the grapharama! Show us the liberal vs conservative world of SCOTUS as demanded by the liberals to expand due to the evil Tweety Trump entries and Liberal demands to expand SCOTUS to manipulate the SCOTUS process for political gain? Call it Scrotus-mandering?

Close enough. Haha!

Last edited:
I hope he pulls through, we need a balanced court and he balances out Sotamayor quite well. And I'd rather the Biden administration doesn't get to pick any more justices, I'm sure the current nominee will get approved and will be quite underwhelming.

Last edited:
Wllmñ Dan's list is stupid or society as a whole?

You're the grapharama! Show us the liberal vs conservative world of SCOTUS as demanded by the liberals to expand due to the evil Tweety Trump entries and Liberal demands to expand SCOTUS to manipulate the SCOTUS process for political gain? Call it Scrotus-mandering?

Close enough. Haha!

Dan's list is accurate giving the annoying bucket approach we have to politics.

Judge Jackson, and Thomas are both black, and I think have very different personal politics, and think differently about various judicial issues. Per Dan's list they are on opposite ends of the spectrum... but in our society the general idea is that black people are Democrats and white people are Republicans, which is the point I'm making. Bucketing people and ideas totally arbitrarily.

'The issues', and underpinnings to those issues assigned to various parties are completely arbitrary IMHO if you have any intellectual consistently you disagree with each parties position about 50%... but I don't feel when think about anything anymore we just subscribe to a R or D platform based on where and the community we grew up in and then use that blue pill red pill narrative as means of never having to use our brains about issues.

I hope that we nominate justices will read the constitution, rule based on what it says and then leave it to congress to make amendments, the idea that you can read the 2A one way and the 14A another is insane to me. The ranking of justices IMHO should be from those who read those amendments strictly and those who do not.

Not sure where race entered this thread until your post though always enjoy your comments. :)

Considering your thoughts there was a pew poll that NPR did a good job bringing it to a common understanding

Not sure where race entered this thread until your post though always enjoy your comments. :)
Exactly, it shouldn't, but it's one of those arbitrary things we bucket people Red or Blue with. I brought it up only because Thomas is a great example of breaking with common stereotypes of R v. D.

Considering your thoughts there was a pew poll that NPR did a good job bringing it to a common understanding

Kinda feels like they are just taking the buckets and trying to make them more buckets... in generally my opinion is that there is not a spectrum, that's a fraudulent notion.

That graph is interesting. Hope you don't mind, thought I'd post it up.
No worries, Sytes! A picture paints a thousand words, so I appreciate the help. '-)

Incidentally, there are other analysis out there that might be better. This was just one example that I found easily. I follow SCOTUS and the courts, casually, as I'm not a lawyer but interested in history and our constitution. There is a lot of research (John Lott) and history (Joyce Lee Malcolm) to explore related to the second amendment and the history of gun rights, should you have the time and inclination. I've only dabbled casually.

But to understand in current context, just look at Ukraine.

As an aside above though continuing along your content and our nominated Judge @wllm1313 . I was concerned for Jackson's responses to Senator Cruz's queries about her board status on the private school that is driven by Critical Race Theory among other content.

We have a real issue in this country that does need to be addressed. Age.

We are currently lead by a man who even compared to himself, has lost 3 or 4 steps. Who will most likely be challenged by another old orange dude.

The court, is infamous for folks hanging on to death.

There is a point where your mental faculties diminish. That's just nature.

Considering the politics of his childhood, he's a great American story.

But, America shouldn't be lead by 70 and 80 year olds.

Something I think about often, maybe too often:

1648131300400.png

The first 80% of this chart the trend makes sense, as life expectancy also increased. The latter does not to me, for even as life expectancy has staled, or even slightly dipped, I don't think it's obvious that something like the "age of aptitude" has increased at all. Whether it is presidents, congress, institutional leaders, or the supreme court, this country is increasingly ruled by ancients, and I think we are not being served well by it.

To be clear, "something something correlation, something something causation," is true. And I am a believer that whether it is age, gender, or the amount of melanin within one's skin, we should not focus on demographic subsets chiefly. I just think that in the same way we have minimum ages for things, we should maybe have maximum ones, or at least require aptitude tests or some sort of reassessment after a certain age. Exhibit A would be our current president.

@Sytes I find this more interesting...

View attachment 216444

Good chart, but it really takes 5-6 terms to really see the subtle differences.

Also, the majority of cases are largely apolitical and hyper-technical. I wished the authors of these tables would pull those out - it would be a much starker picture between the extremes and better flesh out the difference within otherwise similar judges.

Back