2022 Wyoming Bull Bison

The kill. Friday afternoon I head out solo to set up camp and 3 days of hunting. I get camp set and drive to the trailhead for a short evening hunt. I am in another world thinking of the son we lost 5 years ago and how he watches over all of my hunts that he will never get to partake in. Then, 7 minutes into the hike I see some brown around the corner and after closer inspection, dismiss it as tree bark. I round that corner to see a giant bull bison on the right side of the trail at 20 yards. I quickly chamber a round in my stainless x bolt 375H&H and turn the go pro on hoping to get this once in a lifetime experience on film.

The bull is facing me so I try and get to the side for a broadside shot but he turns with me in a protective fashion as bison do with predators. I can’t get around him so I try walking towards him and to my amazement he takes a couple steps towards me as well and lowers his head. His tail also raises so I quickly retreat a few steps as I really don’t want a frontal shot. I finally get in a small clump of trees and he eventually turns and I hammer a 250gr TTSX into his shoulder.

The bull turns and trots down the trail away from me so I start to follow him. He never gave me a shot for about 100yds when he reaches a small opening and finally turns so I drop another shot into his hip. Still showing no signs of being hit I chase after him and then hit him again in his side at 20 yards. He is now slowing and about to drop so I hit him one more time in his side to be certain. The tenacity of these bulls is amazing as it still took him another 2 minutes to completely expire.

I cannot believe what just happened and luckily manage to get it all on film. It hits me that this is a big, old bull and exactly what I was hoping for in the animal as well as the experience. Taking down a huge animal like this that knows you are there and is not afraid, at close quarters in thick woods is a suspenseful experience.

Still more to come.

Attachments

• AA38938A-02CC-4B2E-AB4C-0F8286F85A18.jpeg
    AA38938A-02CC-4B2E-AB4C-0F8286F85A18.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 267
  • 53E33E9C-608A-45A5-9A87-9FBC5AF00EC7.jpeg
    53E33E9C-608A-45A5-9A87-9FBC5AF00EC7.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 268
Last edited:
That is awesome hunt, congratulations on a beautiful bull all on your own. So sorry to hear about the loss of your boy. He is proud of his Dad, and probably shared it with you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back