Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2022 Wyoming Bull Bison

The kill. Friday afternoon I head out solo to set up camp and 3 days of hunting. I get camp set and drive to the trailhead for a short evening hunt. I am in another world thinking of the son we lost 5 years ago and how he watches over all of my hunts that he will never get to partake in. Then, 7 minutes into the hike I see some brown around the corner and after closer inspection, dismiss it as tree bark. I round that corner to see a giant bull bison on the right side of the trail at 20 yards. I quickly chamber a round in my stainless x bolt 375H&H and turn the go pro on hoping to get this once in a lifetime experience on film.

The bull is facing me so I try and get to the side for a broadside shot but he turns with me in a protective fashion as bison do with predators. I can’t get around him so I try walking towards him and to my amazement he takes a couple steps towards me as well and lowers his head. His tail also raises so I quickly retreat a few steps as I really don’t want a frontal shot. I finally get in a small clump of trees and he eventually turns and I hammer a 250gr TTSX into his shoulder.

The bull turns and trots down the trail away from me so I start to follow him. He never gave me a shot for about 100yds when he reaches a small opening and finally turns so I drop another shot into his hip. Still showing no signs of being hit I chase after him and then hit him again in his side at 20 yards. He is now slowing and about to drop so I hit him one more time in his side to be certain. The tenacity of these bulls is amazing as it still took him another 2 minutes to completely expire.

I cannot believe what just happened and luckily manage to get it all on film. It hits me that this is a big, old bull and exactly what I was hoping for in the animal as well as the experience. Taking down a huge animal like this that knows you are there and is not afraid, at close quarters in thick woods is a suspenseful experience.

Still more to come.

Attachments

• AA38938A-02CC-4B2E-AB4C-0F8286F85A18.jpeg
    AA38938A-02CC-4B2E-AB4C-0F8286F85A18.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 267
  • 53E33E9C-608A-45A5-9A87-9FBC5AF00EC7.jpeg
    53E33E9C-608A-45A5-9A87-9FBC5AF00EC7.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 268
Last edited:
That is awesome hunt, congratulations on a beautiful bull all on your own. So sorry to hear about the loss of your boy. He is proud of his Dad, and probably shared it with you

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back