Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2022 Wyoming Bull Bison

Awesome! Did you get him in the high country like you wanted?
No I didn’t. He was a valley bull. The high country bulls only come around maybe once or twice a year from what I could tell and without any idea when.

Last edited:
So as I am getting on with the massive task of skinning and removing meat, I hear some bells coming down the trail. It confuses me at first, and then I realize someone is hiking and those are bear bells. Finally a woman appears and the conversation goes as follows:

Hiking woman: “have you seen a bison?”
Me: “yes”
Hiking woman: “which way did he go?”
Me: “he started over there and came over my direction.”
Hiking woman: “am I safe to continue down the trail?”
Me: “yes he won’t be bothering you anymore.”
Hiking woman (as she gets a clearer view of what I am doing): “what’s that?”
Me: “a bison.”
Hiking woman: “what did you do to it?”
Me: “I shot it…I have a tag!!”
Hiking woman: “ok bye.”

Caped for a half body mount. Incredible hair on head, shoulders, and legs.

Attachments

• 3C66E3EB-8CD6-4E35-8862-831EF6E27F76.jpeg
    3C66E3EB-8CD6-4E35-8862-831EF6E27F76.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 140
  • 278F8318-328E-47E9-93EB-E658D0D45318.jpeg
    278F8318-328E-47E9-93EB-E658D0D45318.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 140
What an incredible bull. That guy is enormous! Congratulations.

Also, I remember you mentioning the loss of your son a few years back. That must be an unbelievable weight to carry and I deeply respect your willingness to talk about it. No doubt he would be proud.

Congratulations again on your truly amazing bull!

So as I am getting on with the massive task of skinning and removing meat, I hear some bells coming down the trail. It confuses me at first, and then I realize someone is hiking and those are bear bells. Finally a woman appears and the conversation goes as follows:

Hiking woman: “have you seen a bison?”
Me: “yes”
Hiking woman: “which way did he go?”
Me: “he started over there and came over my direction.”
Hiking woman: “am I safe to continue down the trail?”
Me: “yes he won’t be bothering you anymore.”
Hiking woman (as she gets a clearer view of what I am doing): “what’s that?”
Me: “a bison.”
Hiking woman: “what did you do to it?”
Me: “I shot it…I have a tag!!”
Hiking woman: “ok bye.”

Caped for a half body mount. Incredible hair on head, shoulders, and legs.

Wow that is a huge animal. Did you handle the butchering and packing all by yourself?

Wow that is a huge animal. Did you handle the butchering and packing all by yourself?
No I didn’t. I skinned for about 3 hours before I got some help. Then we worked for 2 more hours before calling it quits at midnight. At that point 3 quarters were off, backstraps, t loins, and half the cape.

Then the next morning some family and friends showed up to help pack and finish the job. We rolled the bull, took the last quarter off, and finished the cape and cut off the head just behind the skull. Fortunately it got to the low 30s in temp so all meat and hide were good.

BTW, anyone looking to do this DIY a come along and sled are mandatory unless you have a bunch of help as in 4+ people (I did not).

I keep looking at the size of the head, too. Did you have to completely cape the skull out before packing it out? If not, any idea what the skull and cape weighed?
A sled is a must for the head and cape as they were pushing 300 pounds. I found it to be very hard to skin around the head much with 12” long hair to work around, hence I cut off just behind the skull.

A very heavy sled, but actually pulled ok. Another pic for size reference when we dropped him off at the taxidermist. I am 6’4” tall.

I opted for a half mount to really do the bull justice. A successful bison hunter last year mentioned that it really is more than a hunt with all these animals represent and I couldn’t agree more. The politics around them, history, limited opportunities, and uniqueness really make this part of something bigger at work.

Attachments

• 6EBA32F4-B325-496D-A34C-FE7C63091E71.jpeg
    6EBA32F4-B325-496D-A34C-FE7C63091E71.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 164
  • A12C3307-097E-4475-BBB5-55489A3BA9B7.jpeg
    A12C3307-097E-4475-BBB5-55489A3BA9B7.jpeg
    671.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Awesome stuff! Thanks for taking us along. Do you have any plans with the back half of the hide or was it not worth the hassle?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back