2021 Montana Welcome Home Bull

MTLabrador

I moved back to Montana this year, excited to have more time to hunt. I spent much of September hiking, falling over deadfall, calling poorly, and being made a fool of by elk in a place I had always thought of but never hunted before.

I hiked and I climbed.

92C4AAC2-AC6A-4935-8409-D5A5F6A378E5.jpeg

I passed up a few smaller bulls, which isn’t a great idea because I’m not a very good elk hunter. I decided that the elk gods needed to be appeased with suffering for me to find success, so I backpacked in and suffered.
2C7BBE6C-24EA-470B-9850-D118DD494704.jpeg

BD92255C-89AB-4F6A-9C95-ADF0ABDE2FC2.jpeg

I ended archery season without releasing an arrow. Feeling somewhat dejected, I made a plan for opening day of the general season in a place that I have hunted for years. The area I planned to hunt was the first good elk spot I found for myself, and I’ve loved that country ever since. The mountains do not love me back, and this place has a history of beating me up.

After a very tough week of work I decided to let myself sleep in on opening day, planning for an evening hunt. I got up, made coffee and breakfast, and headed for the mountains. Ironically, I told my dad that it seemed like every bull I have killed happened on a day when I thought it was a waste of time to go hunt.

On the way into my spot I saw a great 6x7 bull quartered in the back of a truck, and talked to the hunters for a bit. I left feeling discouraged and a little jealous of their success and my lack of success, but I strapped on my pack, picked up my rifle, and started trudging.

I hiked and glassed without seeing an elk. I eventually decided to call it a day and head back to the truck before dark. What happened next seemed to be a blur. I saw a herd of around 40 elk in front of me. I saw what looked like a nice bull trailing behind the herd. With the clock approaching the end of legal light I raised my .300 Win Mag and fired on autopilot.

I waited to catch my breath and went to look for blood. I initially started to panic as it got darker, following the rest of the herd without finding any blood. After a while I turned back to search in some taller brush and found a beautiful sight as darkness fell.

CE41F6F7-2DFB-41B0-B6E6-1EC73E454F67.jpeg

I was still in shock, but I didn’t waste time as I had seen fairly fresh grizzly tracks an hour earlier. I was able to break him down and pack him back to the truck before I was eaten. Unfortunately he went down in a bad spot for photos.

5A2218F8-71FC-4C00-969A-6DA6375DA191.jpeg

I made it home and had the meat hanging and a cold smoke in my hand by 2 AM. The 168 TTSX did its job.

784CA898-774A-413F-A315-AC76A79C3E08.jpeg

I still feel like it’s not real, and it was such blind luck that I really don’t feel deserving of this bull. I do like that he came from a place where I have worn out several pairs of boots looking for a bull just like this. Yesterday was the day that it finally came together, and it felt like my mountains were welcoming me home.

4649F34F-7CB0-4BF5-84F9-BE40A9F0CD3C.jpeg

Sometimes it happens that way. Fast and blurry. After all that other hard work, I think you need to put the “not deserving” business out of your mind. That’s a great bull, and we’ll deserved IMO.

Congrats sir! That is a great bull and it sounds like you put in and have put in a lot of effort over the years and on this hunt. Looks like you were rewarded nicely. Loved your story. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back