2021 Montana Welcome Home Bull

MTLabrador

I moved back to Montana this year, excited to have more time to hunt. I spent much of September hiking, falling over deadfall, calling poorly, and being made a fool of by elk in a place I had always thought of but never hunted before.

I hiked and I climbed.

92C4AAC2-AC6A-4935-8409-D5A5F6A378E5.jpeg

I passed up a few smaller bulls, which isn’t a great idea because I’m not a very good elk hunter. I decided that the elk gods needed to be appeased with suffering for me to find success, so I backpacked in and suffered.
2C7BBE6C-24EA-470B-9850-D118DD494704.jpeg

BD92255C-89AB-4F6A-9C95-ADF0ABDE2FC2.jpeg

I ended archery season without releasing an arrow. Feeling somewhat dejected, I made a plan for opening day of the general season in a place that I have hunted for years. The area I planned to hunt was the first good elk spot I found for myself, and I’ve loved that country ever since. The mountains do not love me back, and this place has a history of beating me up.

After a very tough week of work I decided to let myself sleep in on opening day, planning for an evening hunt. I got up, made coffee and breakfast, and headed for the mountains. Ironically, I told my dad that it seemed like every bull I have killed happened on a day when I thought it was a waste of time to go hunt.

On the way into my spot I saw a great 6x7 bull quartered in the back of a truck, and talked to the hunters for a bit. I left feeling discouraged and a little jealous of their success and my lack of success, but I strapped on my pack, picked up my rifle, and started trudging.

I hiked and glassed without seeing an elk. I eventually decided to call it a day and head back to the truck before dark. What happened next seemed to be a blur. I saw a herd of around 40 elk in front of me. I saw what looked like a nice bull trailing behind the herd. With the clock approaching the end of legal light I raised my .300 Win Mag and fired on autopilot.

I waited to catch my breath and went to look for blood. I initially started to panic as it got darker, following the rest of the herd without finding any blood. After a while I turned back to search in some taller brush and found a beautiful sight as darkness fell.

CE41F6F7-2DFB-41B0-B6E6-1EC73E454F67.jpeg

I was still in shock, but I didn’t waste time as I had seen fairly fresh grizzly tracks an hour earlier. I was able to break him down and pack him back to the truck before I was eaten. Unfortunately he went down in a bad spot for photos.

5A2218F8-71FC-4C00-969A-6DA6375DA191.jpeg

I made it home and had the meat hanging and a cold smoke in my hand by 2 AM. The 168 TTSX did its job.

784CA898-774A-413F-A315-AC76A79C3E08.jpeg

I still feel like it’s not real, and it was such blind luck that I really don’t feel deserving of this bull. I do like that he came from a place where I have worn out several pairs of boots looking for a bull just like this. Yesterday was the day that it finally came together, and it felt like my mountains were welcoming me home.

4649F34F-7CB0-4BF5-84F9-BE40A9F0CD3C.jpeg

Sometimes it happens that way. Fast and blurry. After all that other hard work, I think you need to put the “not deserving” business out of your mind. That’s a great bull, and we’ll deserved IMO.

Congrats sir! That is a great bull and it sounds like you put in and have put in a lot of effort over the years and on this hunt. Looks like you were rewarded nicely. Loved your story. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back