2019 Goals: What are you shooting for?

I need to spend more time in the field with my kids. Hunting rabbits, fishing, bird hunting, shooting...

I have 3 kids - a 1 year old, a 5 year old, and a 9 year old. When I do take a moment's break from work, volunteering, and random duties and look around, I have pangs of panic that their time with me is slipping away faster than I realize. Spending more time with them, especially outside, is really all I wanna do.

My daughter enjoys going on day hunts around the property. I may expand that to a two day, one night hunt. We'll see. One goal will be to spend more time with her.
I'd like to nab a wolf though most I'm getting out of that venture is skill with snowshoes... Snowplow shoes, it seems. Learn up more on an elk area is on the docket this year as well.

Really nice black bear El Unit! That's my second to a wolf.

First goal is to draw a tag. Hunted bull elk last year, great time and did not fire a shot. Plan to put in for cow elk, OIL on range oryx, may do I deer app also.

Drawing any of those tags would meet my goal.

How are those Brittany's doing? Any luck finding ptarmigan in Colorado?

2019 I find myself tag less> partially by choice as I didn't draw any of my first choices. My girlfriend drew an antelope tag along with her cousin so I'll help them out. Then in November a good friend drew Wyoming Unit 113 elk so i will help him out. So pretty full schedule anyway.

I just want to have fun and the top thing on my goal list is the elusive bluebill.

We only get a handful here and I have yet to get close enough to shoot one.

Binos and Spotting scopes are for ducks too.

I really would like to harvest a cow elk for the freezer.

But I think the goal I’m most interested in is to harvest an antelope. I’ve never taken one...I had a bad experience in my childhood where I tried antelope that tasted terrible and it left a really bad impression. I drew a tag 9 years ago but wasn’t able to give it much time. This is the first time I’ve put in for one since then and ended up drawing my first choice. So this year I want to do the research, put in the time, hopefully harvest one and process it myself. Then we’ll see if I think it is an endeavor worth continuing...

To just enjoy whatever opportunity I get in the outdoors with my brother and dad. I’ll be returning from overseas this fall and got a lot of leave saved up. I didn’t put in for any big game tags because I wasn’t sure when I’d get back, but my brother has buck tag so that will be first priority for us, then depending on if we draw some fall turkey tags it will be turkey, pheasant, and grouse around the farm which will be going on all fall and into january. Besides that I’ll be chasing ducks, canada geese, and a Tundra swan on some local public land. Hunting season is just around the corner!

Well, I drew more tags than I really wanted this year so my goal is to just make use of all of them. I have a lope hunt planned with greenhorn, so my goal is to try and convert him to drinking better beer than that horrible IPA crap he swigs. Thinking a nice Central Waters bourbon barrel aged stout would be the ticket.

Well, I drew more tags than I really wanted this year so my goal is to just make use of all of them. I have a lope hunt planned with greenhorn, so my goal is to try and convert him to drinking better beer than that horrible IPA crap he swigs. Thinking a nice Central Waters bourbon barrel aged stout would be the ticket.

Well, you have the right idea in beers. Very noble of you. Just bought exactly the same tonight, headed for a match in Harris Minnesota this weekend.

I've only been back into hunting consistently the last 3 years (big into HS sports in school). And I haven't seen a buck on the hoof since I've been back into it. Got a doe early archery season last year, I'd like to get a buck the same way this year. Trouble is, the property I hunt doesn't hold many deer and those that are there are pretty runty. Wish me luck.

I'm pretty sure I already replied to thread, but oh well. My main goal is still fill an elk tag for the first time. My secondary goal is to "tag out" in Idaho and fill both my elk and deer tags during archery. I'm not going to be very selective lol.

And another lofty goal would be to fill a Florida deer tag for the first time.

Goal 1: Hoping to get my fiance ready for hopefully a nice representative moose in Newfoundland thats coming up in a few weeks. If I fill the bear tag I bought its just a bonus. Only group in camp for our week, so I have high hopes!

Goal 2: Have a good time in Montana in November with my 85 year old grandfather, we didnt get deer tags which is a shame as the old man thinks this will be his last trip west (35 consecutive years in MT). I managed a cow elk tag so we still have some hunting but there's not a whole lotta accessable cow elk around in southeast MT. Animals aside, just hoping he has fun (I can hear the complaining about the FWP already, lol).

Goal 3: Finish up the logistics of a Molokai Axis deer hunt and possibly a spearfishing trip on our honeymoon in April. If anyone has any tips or tricks for moving meat halfway around the world or a guide for spearfishing on Oahu let me know!

This will be a busy and full fall for me:

In September, I'm booked for a Newfoundland Caribou and Moose hunt. This will be my 5th species of caribou, and since my last two caribou bulls made the B&C Record Book, I'm hoping for better than just a representative Newfoundland bull. The moose on this hunt is secondary to caribou, but I'm hoping for a bull that would at least equal one of the Shiras bulls that I previously shot on DIY Montana hunts. My sights are set very high for this trip.

In late September I'd like to hike into a Wilderness lake that I know of that reportably has some monster Brook Trout that would be in their beautiful spawning colors.

In early October, I'll be enjoying the prairies of SE Montana stalking a buck antelope. The trophy that I'm looking for there will be the little white packages of frozen antelope meat in my freezer.

Later in October and into November, I'll be looking to fill my Montana Deer and Elk tags, and again the primary trophies there will again be the little white packages in my freezers.

Then the first week in December I've got a Sitka Blacktail deer hunt on Kodiak Island, Alaska. Hopefully the deer will be down from the mountains. The hunt is based off a boat so there is also the opportunity to do a little ocean fishing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back