Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2019 Breaks Sheep hunt

Heck of a nice ram, and that's a trophy mouse too. Looks like Peromyscus maniculatus - aka, prairie deer mouse, if you are interested.

Congratulations on your hunt. Amazing story, thanks for taking the time to put together such a detailed and honest description of your hunt. I could feel the pressure. The frozen boat thing was giving me flashbacks to a deerhunt on Peck at minus 20. At least you were at the launch...our full camp was 5 miles from the launch.
What I am curious to know is how viable is the hunt without a water access? I think people should understand this aspect.
Great hunt of a lifetime

Incredible ram, and great story. Congrats Bart! That country is no joke, and you did a good job of emphasizing that.

I knew John was a badass, but sheep hunting in Muck boots!?!? That's next level tough. It must've been something else to be able to pick his brain while hunting sheep.

Damn nice sheep congrats. It's never a good feeling with a boat that's having issues especially when slush is flowing. Nice job.

Superb ram! Reminded me of the hunt Randy went on with his friend Vaughn. Tough to keep a positive attitude for that much time in the field. Congrats!

Beautiful ram and a great story. Jet boats, slush ice, and darkness is a pretty dubious combination.

Wow you sure made the most of that once in a lifetime tag. It must have been an amazing feeling to take such a ram after working so hard and at the last minute. That is some crazy country in there for sure. True badland! Congratulations!!!!

Thanks for the pictures and story. I like how it shows the emotion and work of having one of these tags. No walk in the park. Great ram. On a side note I always wondered why some personal watercraft company didn't start make a sportsmans model or something designed for hunting and fishing.

Great Ram. Congrats. John is a hell of a nice guy and super helpful. I talked to him and we messaged back and forth during the season the year my wife drew that tag and I was impressed with how helpful he was not knowing me at all. Glad you got a great ram.

Congratulations on your hunt. Amazing story, thanks for taking the time to put together such a detailed and honest description of your hunt. I could feel the pressure. The frozen boat thing was giving me flashbacks to a deerhunt on Peck at minus 20. At least you were at the launch...our full camp was 5 miles from the launch.
What I am curious to know is how viable is the hunt without a water access? I think people should understand this aspect.
Great hunt of a lifetime
It's doable for sure but there are some access issues off the river that pose a challenge. I was able to access into some big country that opened up a big part of the unit. The Wilks allowed access into Bullwacker this year for sheep hunters which was a huge blessing. Another huge hurdle is having the Ferry shut down the 3rd week of October. Unless you live North of the Unit it is a game changer because now you're stuck on the South side only able to use a boat to get across or you have to drive way around either on the east end of the unit or west. You add in wet weather and you can't even do that. It's stressful for sure as you are racing around trying to beat the weather. Then everyone says wait till the end and just pluck one from the boat. Well you get a year like this one and you may not be able to go with all the ice.

Congrats on a great ram and thanks for taking us along with you.

That 2nd year seems to be the make or break year for horn growth. Not sure if it is genetics or the conditions that year. Your sheep was almost as big in year 2 as Scott's sheep was in year 3 if I'm reading the horn growth correctly.

I think stories like yours help us realize what drawing a true once in a lifetime tag like that is like. With great tags like that comes great responsibility. You did your part for sure.

It's doable for sure but there are some access issues off the river that pose a challenge. I was able to access into some big country that opened up a big part of the unit. The Wilks allowed access into Bullwacker this year for sheep hunters which was a huge blessing. Another huge hurdle is having the Ferry shut down the 3rd week of October. Unless you live North of the Unit it is a game changer because now you're stuck on the South side only able to use a boat to get across or you have to drive way around either on the east end of the unit or west. You add in wet weather and you can't even do that. It's stressful for sure as you are racing around trying to beat the weather. Then everyone says wait till the end and just pluck one from the boat. Well you get a year like this one and you may not be able to go with all the ice.
Thanks for an explanation. I know a handful of people who hunted such as you did and only one that was on foot.
One guy ran his jet boat on to a sand bar off shore in the lake. The tag holder swam for shore, hiked out and eventually made it back with a parachute which helped them get unstuck.
It's a no nonsense hunt, I wonder if most people really think it over when they apply.
Thanks again.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back