2015 elk hunt success

j-kam406

Thanks again to you that gave me info. So my dad, brother, my buddy Andrew and I went over to 621 and had four days to hunt together. At that point everyone had to be back to town and id be solo hunting. I really wanted to get an elk with everyone there so it was my goal to get it done in the four days. My dad and brother hunted deer while over there and Andrew and I were looking for the elk.

The first morning we came across a nice bull, 310-315 range. I found myself stoked that we were already in good elk. It was hard to pass but we got some Phone Skope footage and moved on. Over the next day and a half we had to of seen 20 bulls and a few nice ones but just not the one that I couldn't live without. Captured video and photos of these elk.

After talking to a few guys who had seen a big herd of elk with a handful of bulls in it, including a nice mature bull move into a far coulee from the willows Andrew and I made a game plan. To reach this herd we had to cross two big coulees and hopefully the elk would be located in the bottom of the third one. Three hours and five miles later we were glassing dozens of elk in this area. We glassed for an hour or so and kept hearing bugles coming from further down the ridge near the willows. I was surprised that a few bulls were still bugling, but it was cool to hear. We moved that way glassing our way down trying to locate any big bulls. We made it down to the last high point on the ridge before a timber patch which then lead out to the flats. We could hear cow talking and actually bulls sparing below us. We posted up there hoping the elk would feed out into a clearing.

As we were listening to this herd below us I spotted a lone elk making it's way out from the next coulee, approx. 2000 yards to the east. Through the scope we realized this was a stud bull. Immediately I told Andrew that is my elk. We watched him for a minute with the Phone Skope to see his projected path of travel. At this point it was 4:30pm and light was quickly fading. The bull was heading out to the willows and not wasting any time doing it. Andrew and I gathered our packs, optics, guns and literally sprinted down a southeast facing ridge that was treed and about 500 yards to the flats and tree line. Once there, Andrew broke the scope out and I made a rest with my pack. Laying prone I found the bull in my scope. Andrew ranged him at 489 yards. The bull was not stopping to feed so once I was comfortable Andrew cow called and the bull stopped broadside. With this amazing bull in my scope I let the bullet fly. The next thing I saw was the bull lerch forward and awger into the grass. "TOAD BULL DOWN"

Overall it was an incredible hunt. Approximately 30 miles of hiking and lots of glass time paid off. We made it happen and everyone was there to celebrate back at camp! On top of my bull, Andrew, my dad, and my brother took good mule deer. Left the breaks heavy!

Last edited:
12241200_10206372287925184_7827171011808892960_n.jpg

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e60c57f4170a700ee3d2bd0cd62e52c1&oe=56E5505B

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=15cecafbd0f5a3fab3e3a7759f4a18b7&oe=56B2F1ED

Last edited:
Nice bull. I had the archery tag there this year but didn't get to go due to work obligations. Looks like I missed out for sure.

Congrats on a stud bull

It happened! Post a few more pics. Very unique bull. Great job.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back