2014 Breaks elk

double_a85

A little late getting this on here...

Here is my 2014 Breaks Bull. Not a big bull by any means, but by far the biggest bull I have ever shot.

I am not as good as most of you at the storytelling--- but the highlights:

I got this tag with 6 bonus points. Being a "trophy" tag, I put a lot of pressure on myself. I thought I needed to shoot that monster... never being a horn hunter this was a big change in attitude. By the 3rd day of the season the stress and pressure I had put on myself was beginning to take over. On the way back to camp in the cold, rain/sleet/snow/wind, we saw a bunch of bulls. I had had enough, said if the 2 bigger ones gave me a shot, I would take it...

Ran about 100 yards to the top of the ridge and shot the smaller one, a 4x6. He will fill the freezer very well--- which is ultimately all I cared about anyway.
DSC00626-1.jpg
Thanks to a few fellow Hunt Talkers for sharing valuable info on this hunt.

Congrats! I'm still looking to fill my freezer too!

Nice Bull! There's no better trophy than a full freezer! Especially with beef prices the way they are this year! Congratulations!

Congratulations! That bull and a full freezer sure beat the heck out of my un-notched Washington elk tag. I'm getting quite the collection of those un-notched tags ............ wanna trade?

You are right on about putting the pressure on yourself when you burn a bunch of points for a tag. It is tough having "expectations ". Congrats on setting an elk PR . It is a funny feeling when you look at the result of a tag laying there and the thought is "I'm glad to be done hunting".

That bull was well deserved and you beat the elements to get him. Well done!

Back