Caribou Gear

2013 elk finally back from the taxidermist!

Really nice bull and mount Nathan.

I will add +2. Who was the taxidermist? And how are you going to get it into your house? Does the mount detach from the base?

Thanks for the comments everyone. It's been a hectic week at work and I haven't been able to get any pictures taken of him in the house until this morning.

The taxidermist is Joe Harriger here in Lubbock. He says he doesn't mind me looking over his shoulder as the mount progresses so on this one I was probably in his shop 6 or 7 times as it came together especially on the habitat stuff. The rock is paper machete and the I picked up the dead wood when I was in Montana this past summer. I still might swap out a little of the laurel for another small pine, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it.

The pedestal and the mount are in 2 pieces and we actually had to tilt it back to get the elk on the pedestal because there is only about 3" of clearance from the top of his G4 to the 8' ceiling. When it was all said and done it went inside and back together much easier than I was expecting though.

Here's the pictures of it at the house. It's in my home office that is all open to the rest of the house. I can see it from "my chair" in the den on the other side of the stairs.

elk_house1.jpg

This is what you see of him when you walk in the front door. This is the best angle I've ever been able to take a picture that shows how long his main beams really are.

elk_house2.jpg

Another picture from the front door. I think I'm going to have a lot more people coming upstairs now.

elk_house3.jpg

Still just amazed at my Boone & Crockett meat bull. I was shooting the first legal branch antlered bull I saw and didn't even know how big he was when I pulled the trigger.

Very happy on how it turned out.

Atta boy Nathan. You are proof that good luck favors the prepared. It has been fun following your preparation and reading about your hunt. P'raps some day we may cross paths in Wyoming. First beer is on me!

That's a great spot and what looks like a beautiful house! Well done.

PS- Now get to cleaning those duct grates... ;) :D

Thanks everyone again for the comments. I still look over at this guy and am amazed at how big and beautiful he is.

Why did it take so long?

Several different things caused the delay including my Taxidermist getting a kidney transplant a few months after I dropped him off. I also was picky about the pedestal base and actually ended up getting the driftwood looking wood for the base when I was on vacation in Montana the next summer.

We spent a little time deciding on the form to use and then once we got the form in and the cape back from the tannery, we went back and forth a little on the height that he would end up displayed at and then he let me have quite a bit of input on the texture and color of the fake rock.

Not really the taxidermist fault that it took so long and I was very happy with the end result and it was well worth the wait to me.

The same guy is doing my Mountain Goat from last fall and I'm hoping it might be a little faster, but at the same time I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully it will be worth the wait too!

Back