Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

'20- What Worked, What Didn't?

What doesn't suk....Marlin 1895 45-70, good spring rains, lots of promising young bucks on game cams, plenty of grass for the cattle

What sukked....no '20 elk hunt to look fwd to, thus no gear pile
Addendum #1....Kenetrek Mt Extreme 400's still working after circa a decade, year after year. Best lace up I've ever worn.

Worked -
Kuiu Superdown has been great for glassing on windy ridges as has the Outdoorsmans bino adapter. Definitely have helped me spot more game.
Dan Coffin - per @mtmuley recommendation, he quickly solved some issues that I've been chasing my tail on with my rifle for years.

Didn't Work -
Myself. My struggle with depression the last few years have really taken a toll on my hunting along with the rest of my life. Can't get motivated to go out, don't hunt very long or very hard. Don't have anyone to hunt with so no one to keep me motivated. Wife finally said she had enough of it and got me an appointment with a head doctor. Hopefully I can get it work out cause it sucks.

Oh my Lowa Tibets are shot after 4 years, kinda ticked about that.
Depression is no joke. Hang in there and reach out if you need it.

Worked:
- Scarpa Zodiac boots, very comfy out of the box
- Mystery Ranch pintler hunting pack, robust but a bit heavy
- Firstlite SEAK rain pants, wore these over thermals, perfect for western WA wet and wind.
- Firstlite Hybrid Sawtooth vest. This was great while wearing a backpack.
- Sitka Mountain Jacket, with hood. The hood was awesome, I see the new models don't have a hood?!

Didn't work:
- None waterproof gloves. Need to get water/wind proof but not heavily insulated. Looking at Kuiu Yukon pro gloves.
- Not having enough of the same ammo/hard to find ammo. Once I'm able, I'll be picking up a good amount of the same premium hunting ammo, I found what my rifle likes, just have to find ammo in stock now.
- Being overweight... hunting would have been more pleasant with 20lbs less to carry around.

Worked:
6.5 Barnes LRX 127gr
First Lite Furnace merino pullover
First Lite Chamberlain jacket
Kennetrek Mt Extreme 400gram
Caribou Gear Meat Tarp

Good:
Big Agnes Seedhouse - super lightweight and sturdy for a two man tent.
Nikon Monarch Spotter - had there been less smoke I would have loved this even more.
Nemo Fillo pillow - OMG where have you been all my life.
Costco wool slacks (though I wish they weren't pleated) - you haven't experienced breathable pants until you've hunted in lightweight wool slacks
Puffy pants - greatest thing since sliced bread.
Peak fuel dinners - very tasty

Bad:
costco wool socks - I knew better and still wore them... bad choice.
used manfrotto tripod - holy hell was it heavy and the cam locks broke 4 times.
exceptionally cheap tiny stove off amazon - technically it still works, but I need something a little better, and an insulated cup for coffee
Cheap Lowes paracord (I didn't bring it, but it still made hanging meat shittier than it should have been)
Single serving chicken and tuna packets... kinda gross
Replacement wind indicator powder - just didn't work as good as the original.
Could you share the link or more info on the Costco wool slacks?

Worked:
- Scarpa Zodiac boots, very comfy out of the box
- Mystery Ranch pintler hunting pack, robust but a bit heavy
- Firstlite SEAK rain pants, wore these over thermals, perfect for western WA wet and wind.
- Firstlite Hybrid Sawtooth vest. This was great while wearing a backpack.
- Sitka Mountain Jacket, with hood. The hood was awesome, I see the new models don't have a hood?!

Didn't work:
- None waterproof gloves. Need to get water/wind proof but not heavily insulated. Looking at Kuiu Yukon pro gloves.
- Not having enough of the same ammo/hard to find ammo. Once I'm able, I'll be picking up a good amount of the same premium hunting ammo, I found what my rifle likes, just have to find ammo in stock now.
- Being overweight... hunting would have been more pleasant with 20lbs less to carry around.
I tried the Kuiu Yukon gloves and was extremely disappointed. Rain soaked through within a couple hours of use. There are cut tight so my hands got wet, then very cold. Applied some nikwax with no luck. They now sit in the bottom of a gear locker. I switched to wearing merino wool liners and Outdoor Research shell mitts. I think mine are the Mt. Bakers. Even when it's warm, the shells are great and actually waterproof and windproof. I have a pair of Enlightened Equipment mittens that I add under the shell when it's cold and they only weight 2-4oz.

Could you share the link or more info on the Costco wool slacks?
Unfortunately all they had on their website is "Merican" sizes at the time, now it looks like they don't have any. So I had to ebay up a normal size.

I tried the Kuiu Yukon gloves and was extremely disappointed. Rain soaked through within a couple hours of use. There are cut tight so my hands got wet, then very cold. Applied some nikwax with no luck. They now sit in the bottom of a gear locker. I switched to wearing merino wool liners and Outdoor Research shell mitts. I think mine are the Mt. Bakers. Even when it's warm, the shells are great and actually waterproof and windproof. I have a pair of Enlightened Equipment mittens that I add under the shell when it's cold and they only weight 2-4oz.
That's not good news! Did you call Kuiu and tell them about it or ask for refund/exchange?

You have a point going with just hiking/outdoor gear brands that have been making gloves for a long time.

What worked:
Superfeet TRAILBLAZER Comfort insoles. Felt more secure and comfortable than the "Green" model I have used for the last several years. No blisters, no sore feet, etc. during a long, steep packout. Will swap them out into my ice climbing boots in place of the Green Superfeet. As of now, my preferred insoles.

Garmin InReach. I have had one since 2018, and recently got a new phone (Samsung S20) and it works great. I have thankfully not had any issues with it and the old phone or new one, and it has kept my wife from calling SAR or the sheriff when I am going to be hours late getting home and she is thinking I am dead on the side of some mountain....peace of mind for sure.

I didn't have any major gear issues or failures (thankfully) this season, but I would say what I need to be better about is keeping track of what I carry, use frequently or have deemed essential and then cutting loose the rest of the "just in case" gear that has never seen the light of day. It won't be too much, but reducing gear/clutter/weight is always a good goal.

That's not good news! Did you call Kuiu and tell them about it or ask for refund/exchange?

You have a point going with just hiking/outdoor gear brands that have been making gloves for a long time.
I called Kuiu and they said it wasn't possible. I sent the gloves back, and they sent me a new pair. Same results. All the seams leaked through in the first heavy rain within a couple hours. The cuff also isn't long enough to keep water from pouring down into your glove when you're actually hiking around and using them.

I have switched a lot of hunting only gear to non-hunting companies that specialize in outdoors/alpine/mountaineering stuff. Outdoor Research has really impressed me with a lot of their gear, especially in the fit. (I'm not the Kuiu body-type). Minus-33 makes excellent merino wool stuff and I just picked up a new (last year's model) Rab puffy that has much more insulation, hydrophobic down, 850+ fill, than the highest grade/priciest hunting stuff for just over $150. (zipper is on the wrong side as it's a UK designed piece, thought a bought a ladies coat)

What worked:
Superfeet TRAILBLAZER Comfort insoles. Felt more secure and comfortable than the "Green" model I have used for the last several years. No blisters, no sore feet, etc. during a long, steep packout. Will swap them out into my ice climbing boots in place of the Green Superfeet. As of now, my preferred insoles.

Garmin InReach. I have had one since 2018, and recently got a new phone (Samsung S20) and it works great. I have thankfully not had any issues with it and the old phone or new one, and it has kept my wife from calling SAR or the sheriff when I am going to be hours late getting home and she is thinking I am dead on the side of some mountain....peace of mind for sure.

I didn't have any major gear issues or failures (thankfully) this season, but I would say what I need to be better about is keeping track of what I carry, use frequently or have deemed essential and then cutting loose the rest of the "just in case" gear that has never seen the light of day. It won't be too much, but reducing gear/clutter/weight is always a good goal.
Great tip on the Superfeet Trailablazer! I just ordered some, they are on sale right now for around $38 (on amazon and superfeet website). I use all the other models of superfeet but I found the hard plastic heel cup a problem when traveling over uneven terrain, especially going up side hilling. Hopefully these will fix that issue.

I called Kuiu and they said it wasn't possible. I sent the gloves back, and they sent me a new pair. Same results. All the seams leaked through in the first heavy rain within a couple hours. The cuff also isn't long enough to keep water from pouring down into your glove when you're actually hiking around and using them.

I have switched a lot of hunting only gear to non-hunting companies that specialize in outdoors/alpine/mountaineering stuff. Outdoor Research has really impressed me with a lot of their gear, especially in the fit. (I'm not the Kuiu body-type). Minus-33 makes excellent merino wool stuff and I just picked up a new (last year's model) Rab puffy that has much more insulation, hydrophobic down, 850+ fill, than the highest grade/priciest hunting stuff for just over $150. (zipper is on the wrong side as it's a UK designed piece, thought a bought a ladies coat)
That's disappointing to hear about the Kuiu gloves! But thanks for the reply, I'll have to rethink that purchase.

I have some OR claw mitts that are extremely warm. Thinking about it, unless a piece of gear needs to be hunting specific, the outdoor/mountaineering stuff might be better. I'm definitely a function over form and over brand loyalty (camo pattern). I pretty much had 3 different company camo patterns on at a time this hunting season. I guess you can say I like to "hunt" for the best piece of gear for each specific purpose.

Worked- old trusty 1999 chevy k1500, Howa 1500 in 7mm08 with 140 Berger ‘s. Driving 6 hours across the state to hunt hometown ranches.

Did not work-any day trips around Helena/Boulder/Whitehall/white sulpher Springs/Deer Lodge, etc.... also my old fat ass needs to loose some weight.

I thought of this very thing today as I was putting my gear away.

Worked:
  • Sitka kelvin puffy coat (My new favorite)
  • FHF Pro bino harness
  • MR Beartooth
  • Cabelas hybrid puffy layer
  • Darn tough socks
  • Leupold SX-4
  • SG trekking poles
  • Hawk deer crawler
  • Mad bomber fur cap
  • BRCC instant coffee

Didn’t work:
  • Barnes TTSX (weird exit holes)
  • Wyoming wind!
  • First lite mountain socks
  • Danner pronghorns (cactus poked through)
  • Peak refuel food (insane sat fat levels!)

Worked:
• TreadLabs Pace Insoles—super comfortable and finally got some support for my ridiculous arches
• Darn Tough Over the Calf Hunter socks—where have these been all my life?
• Cabelas Bighorn II Tent and Vestibule—despite mixed reviews, I bought this tent on mega sale. Really impressed with how it held up to the Wyoming wind, and how it accommodated a wood stove. It proved to be an easy to set up, lighter-weight alternative to the wall tent.
• FirstLite Uncompahgre Puffy Pants—kept me toasty warm while glassing in the cold

Didn’t Work:
• Black Diamond 400 Headlamp—it just straight up quit on a hike out one evening. Luckily there was an almost full moon.
• Kuiu Guide Pants—damn these things seem to rip easily
• Wearing Glasses While Hiking/Glassing in the serious Cold—the steam factor was ridiculous. Hope to get the laxer treatment before next season.

Also, FWIW, @HighWildFree, hang in there buddy. I’ve been in the dark place and it can get better. You don’t know me and I don’t know you, but feel free to pm if you’d like to talk.

Worked:
-Striker V2 Broadheads. Flew great, grouped great. Could be the bow, too....see next item.
-Bowtech RevoltX. Absolutely love everything about it.
-Cheap wool mittens from CamoFire. $10 per pair. Super warm. Plan on pairing with OR shell when need something waterproof.
-XStand 2 person 20ft ladder stand. Pain to put together and get up, but extremely comfortable and stable. Great for gun or archery.
-Hornady Outfitter Ammo. Finally found something my .300WSM Abolt likes.
-Great hunting buddies. Gerald and Ross are a couple of the best hunters and dudes I know. My first archery bull would not have been possible without their friendship.

What Didn’t:
-Schaffer rest. Exposed spring that triggers the rest to open got snow in it during a storm on the pack in and froze in place. Tried to fix by melting the snow next to a fire that night. However, there was still enough moisture that it froze up overnight. Luckily, I drew my bow the morning I shot my bull to loosen up. Rest would not work And I had to manually open and close it to loosen things up. All is well that ends well. Need to invest in a lightweight bow sling that keeps the bow free of snow, or change rests.
-Seek Outside Silex. I think I would prefer a cimarron UltraLight. Awkward sleeping angle, kept finding my feet or head up against the side wall. The frozen condensation on the tent wall got my sleeping bag damp.
-FirstLite Guide Lite Pant. Comfortable, dry quick, but too loud for archery hunting IMO.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back