'20- What Worked, What Didn't?

Weird, I had no issues getting mine to pair up. I did notice sometimes it didn't do a very good job of sending text messages in steep canyons, which was a little concerning.
I run an iPhone. Do you have to sync it before losing cell service?

I run an iPhone. Do you have to sync it before losing cell service?
I have an iPhone as well. I did the initial pairing when I had service. That might be your problem. It has to sync with your account.

I have an iPhone as well. I did the initial pairing when I had service. That might be your problem. It has to sync with your account.
So when syncing your inreach up to the phone what steps do you turn it on and sync the phone.

So when syncing your inreach up to the phone what steps do you turn it on and sync the phone.
I honestly don't remember exactly how I did it. I'm not really great at technology and it was pretty easy. I think I installed the Earthmate app and then paired the phone through that.

Worked:
-Kicking my butt into gear this summer to actually scout brand new areas.
-My $15 rain gear I got 2 years ago on sale....the ease of tossing on some stretchy rain pants over my archery pants was really nice, I get it now.
-Rain cover I bought to put over my bow.
-Putting in the time to make different jerky flavors.
-Honey Stingers, I had a coupon and tried out some of the snacks....I could eat a whole box of those vanilla waffles in one sitting.

Didnt work:
Backpackers pantry....no...just no.

Badlands backpack, I've never found a good fitting backpack and though I've used it for years and like how my bow straps on, it really messed up my shoulder this year.

Worked:

OnX app, especially when paired with AC vent phone holder, so that both son and I could see the screen as we drove along. I didn’t have to ask him land status at every fence line.

InReach mini, although in hindsight, it wasn’t “needed”. No emergency requiring a message to be sent out, and shockingly it was possible to find cell service connectivity by topping out on a ridge with a view of the high peaks in the Bighorns. It was worth the expense in keeping Mrs kansasdad assured that we could be reached 24/7.

Network of family, friends and accessible public lands to find our adventure.

Mrs kansasdad‘s home canned peach and sand plum jellies are always a hit as thank you gifts to family and land owners that have granted permission to their homes/land.

Needs work:

My understanding of what to take for a week long self sustained (Thanks, Miss Corona!!) hunting trip. The Highlander was stuffed to the gills, but the overage of food made nice parting gifts for friends and family.

Stupid drought needs to break and there better be a kind winter, or I predict a big reduction in tag numbers next year.

Worked

.30 Nosler
200GR Barnes LRX ( Pendelton Ammunition)
Alps Commander Frame pack ( Awesome)
Helping by new hunter ( works for me) get in shape and prepare for a hunt ( gun, sight in, gear, the whole deal)

While it did work its kinda under the didnt work: took a new hunter to get his first elk. Good, he made a great 1 shot kill, Good. He shot a 1.5 year old perfect cow- Good. I shot the heard mega cow- Good( until later. Shot them in a bad location- Bad ( they are cows but I really wanted him to get one. I would have not shot a cow myself there). Shot them at 5:15pm, by the time we got to them it was 6:00- getting bad, then since he has never done this, it was just me to gut, cut and prepare in the dark- OK. After 4 trips, and 6.5 miles up and down 3 shale covered canyons, we got them out- Bad for this old body. Got to bed after all preparations and skinning at 6:02am.

It was freaking AWESOME. It always is.

Shined:
Garmin InReach (no long term subscriptions, bread crumbs worked really well without draining battery)
Cheap rechargeable battery supply with 4 solar panel ordered on Amazon (held upto 8 phone charges, charged pretty quick)
Fullcurl pack system from Hornhunter (modular features provided valuable flexibility when day hunting after the pack in)
Blackovis game bags. (Small, super light weight, breathable, and durable)
Sawyer water filter coupled with their 2 gallon holding resevoir (super fast water filtration)
Black Diamond trekking poles (3 sections that when extended can't collapse unlike telescoping, clamp style trekking poles)

Failed:
Bob soles on my Danners (awesome on everything but sharp rocks in goat country, having them resoled after just 2 years)
Slumberjack Bivvy sack (Couldn't keep from getting hit in the face)
KUIU chugach rain jacket and paints (light and kept me dry, but not as quite as the Sitka stuff)
Fenix 1000 lumen rechargeable flashlight (awesome brightness with 6 hours runtime at 1,000 lumens, but it gets flammable hot...to the point that I pull the battery when not in use in case I accidently bump it on in my pack)

What didn't work:

My boots. Sadly, I think my 13 year old Irish Setters have seen too many cactus spines and too many miles. They just don't keep out the water any more and this may be their last year.😢

The Mora Knives rock. I’ve never kept the Scandi-grind when sharpening them. I just use the angle that comes easiest to me on my stones. These things can be wicked sharp and sturdy to boot! I have both the companion, and the Heavy Duty companion. The HD can be found in bright orange which I now prefer because it is too easy to leave a natural colored knife on the ground near the gut pile in the dark. The HD has a slightly bigger handle that is more comfortable to me as well as a thicker blade. If it matters to you the HD that I have had the spine of the knife ground flat with sharp corners that makes it easier to strike on a fire steel. The normal companion has a irregular hammerEd or rolled spine that is rounder than it is flat. You have to sand or file it flat to shower sparks off a fire steel. Both blades will rust/discolor easy but it’s not hard to keep a bit of oil on them for long term storage. Don’t want to to take this thread too off-task with my rambling but for the price and functionality of these, I feel like everyone should have a bright colored Mora Companion of some sort in their pack for a sturdy and cheap back-up knife.

Here is what I have so far, but lots of hunting left to do....

Good:
- Bowtech Realm SS; upgraded bows after shooting my old one for quite a while. Love this thing.
- Backpackers Pantry Pad Thai; by far the best freeze dried meal I have eaten....

What worked:

-Crispi Idaho boots! Not one hot spot or blister. Didn’t even use luko tape.
-Darn tough socks.
-First Lite merino wool hoodie.

What needs work:

-Platypus gravity filter. I was disappointed at how often it needed back flushing even in water that looked clean. My buddy used the Katedyn camp bag w/filter and never once had to back flush.

Worked:
Nemo Sonic down bag. Super light, warm, accommodating spoon shape.
Klymit Luxe pad.
Marmot Tungsten tent.

Didn’t:
Pillow. Tried a couple; still not satisfied.
Sleep: I never sleep well in the backcountry.
Fire ban. Absolutely understandable, but not having a campfire was surprisingly tough mentally.

Worked:
-Kicking my butt into gear this summer to actually scout brand new areas.
-My $15 rain gear I got 2 years ago on sale....the ease of tossing on some stretchy rain pants over my archery pants was really nice, I get it now.
-Rain cover I bought to put over my bow.
-Putting in the time to make different jerky flavors.
-Honey Stingers, I had a coupon and tried out some of the snacks....I could eat a whole box of those vanilla waffles in one sitting.

Didnt work:
Backpackers pantry....no...just no.

Badlands backpack, I've never found a good fitting backpack and though I've used it for years and like how my bow straps on, it really messed up my shoulder this year.
I tried the backpackers pantry Sante Fe rice with chicken and beans. That was very good.

Back