'20- What Worked, What Didn't?

Didn’t work: Sig Kilo 2000 (only 3 years old) when trying to range elk across a canyon. I had a hard time ranging anything much over 100 yards. Now to start the search for a new rangefinder... Anyone tried the Leica 2400R?

Worked
  • Randy Newberg DTS though the locking mechanism gummed up after quartering my elk.
  • Metcalf
  • Sirui VA-5
  • 150 gr Accubonds
Didn't Work
  • My physical conditioning
  • Bum hip & shoulder
  • Contractor bags at meat tarp in 40 MPH winds (Hello, Caribou tarp).
  • Walmart air mattress I deluded myself into thinking would last a single night.

Didn’t work: Sig Kilo 2000 (only 3 years old) when trying to range elk across a canyon. I had a hard time ranging anything much over 100 yards. Now to start the search for a new rangefinder... Anyone tried the Leica 2400R?
Seriously? Mine has been one of the better purchases I've made in the last five years.

Didn't work:
z-lite + insulated BA Q-core. Still froze last weekend from the ground up. Not sure what the solution is for that.

Shined:
InReach for family communication both ways and dry bags.
Sucked:
... time cut short. Unavoidable.

The modern dry bag has become a staple for my pack gear. It's extremely lightweight and compresses for minimal space. Example use as a potable container for camp water supply.
Where did you get your dry bags? I really need to improve organization of my pack with dry bags and containers instead of just throwing it all in the main compartment.

Neoair X-therm. I stay much warmer with that than I did with my old BA insulated pad and a z-lite.
I'll have to look around for one, seems like a similar r-value as the combo, 6.3 vs 6.9. I wondered how much the exposed sides were effecting it. I was car camping so I pulled an old wool blanket out of the truck and burrito wrapped both pads and slept great the next night.

Where did you get your dry bags? I really need to improve organization of my pack with dry bags and containers instead of just throwing it all in the main compartment.
The dry bags were likely from our local Sportsman Ski Haus. I'd think they're available at most sporting stores. The common version - designed w/ thick material - are the more rugged type and heavy beasts though the lightweight type, such as the link below work great for packing inside the main pack - IMO.
My household has a few OR dry bags as well. Here's a link for the OR brand if you're interested in the specs. We use other stuff sacks for this and that as well.

In the same boat with my vortex. On a side note from what I have heard others say and read on line you wont go wrong with a Leica. FYI about Leica, they weren't just a sport opitcs company their man focus is making surveying equipment so their technology is top notch and dependable.

Worked:
Elk Tag
SG Sky Air Tent/Tarp
Enlightened Quilts
Conditioning
Upgrades to Food Pac, new meals, more nutrients vs eating candy bars and shit
SG Rain Gear
New Crocs
Crampons

Didn't work:
Deer tag
Sheep tag
Black bear tag
Polaris ranger I blew engine up on first trip, still in shop.

Jury's out on:
Zamberlans

Last edited:
Worked:

Danner Elk Hunters: Most Danners are garbage but these American made boots feel and perform well

1606575317381.jpeg

CrossFit: I joined a gym this summer and went into this season feeling the best I had in years. Excited to continue it

Hunting with family: shot a pronghorn with my kids, and a buck with my dad. Really lucky to be able to do so, and am more aware of it now than ever.

Vintage Gimmick Optics: This old Weaver TV scope has been on the M77 for 3 decades and still shoots where I point it.

1606575925861.jpeg

Block Management: Lotta overlooked bird hunting areas out there and just a privilege in general.
1606575404692.jpeg

Going new places: Resolved this year to hunt places I’d never been before, and learned a lot and saw a lot

1606575514994.jpeg

Didn’t Work:

Going new places: I think an unfortunate fact about western Montana is that there are large chunks of beautiful country largely void of game.

My ability to find bull elk: So it goes

Fit, or some other issue?
Yeah it's the fit, I wanted to try a boot with some crampon capability because of how bad my kenetreks got chewed up a couple seasons ago. The extra support in the heel and stiffness causes some pretty intense hot spots throughout the hike.

Leuko tape has been the savior, without that stuff there would've been days where I would've been screwed.

Worked -
Kuiu Superdown has been great for glassing on windy ridges as has the Outdoorsmans bino adapter. Definitely have helped me spot more game.
Dan Coffin - per @mtmuley recommendation, he quickly solved some issues that I've been chasing my tail on with my rifle for years.

Didn't Work -
Myself. My struggle with depression the last few years have really taken a toll on my hunting along with the rest of my life. Can't get motivated to go out, don't hunt very long or very hard. Don't have anyone to hunt with so no one to keep me motivated. Wife finally said she had enough of it and got me an appointment with a head doctor. Hopefully I can get it work out cause it sucks.

Oh my Lowa Tibets are shot after 4 years, kinda ticked about that.

Didn't Work -
Myself. My struggle with depression the last few years have really taken a toll on my hunting along with the rest of my life. Can't get motivated to go out, don't hunt very long or very hard. Don't have anyone to hunt with so no one to keep me motivated. Wife finally said she had enough of it and got me an appointment with a head doctor. Hopefully I can get it work out cause it sucks.
Wishing you the best with this one.

Worked -
Kuiu Superdown has been great for glassing on windy ridges as has the Outdoorsmans bino adapter. Definitely have helped me spot more game.
Dan Coffin - per @mtmuley recommendation, he quickly solved some issues that I've been chasing my tail on with my rifle for years.

Didn't Work -

Oh my Lowa Tibets are shot after 4 years, kinda ticked about that.
Best wishes on feeling better and more motivated soon, and good that you have wife as an ally. Depression is a demon that has skewered more than one of my hunting seasons. I learned a thing or two from the head doctor - I hope it’s worth your time.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back