'20- What Worked, What Didn't?

Update, post last big game hunt of the year.

Worked:
-Korean war wool pants, cheap and warm
-Kuiu Kenai beanie - just damn warm and very windproof
-repeat offender... Cabelas Alaska Alaska Guide 6 person - wish I had the 8, but such a good truck camping tent
-Mr buddy heater, once you go "Buddy" you never go back.... LOL. So much faster and easier than a wood stove.

Didn't work:
-Tundra fuel tank capacity and mileage. Going to WY 13 mpg (15 coming back) and at 21 gal I'm under the E on the gauge, despite that it says I have a 25 gal tank = too many stops for gas
-MSR Windburner... so technically the stove itself worked just fine, the real issue was the fuel. You have to keep it warm(ish) if you want to actually use it in very cold temps. That's pretty tricky when it's in your backpack all day. Same with trying to hunt all day and maintain liquid water. I had to boil water in the morning and wrap it in a down coat.
-Schnees pac boots, Elk Hunters. They're not actually very warm, nor do they offer any real ankle support. Not sure what the hype is all about. I'll probably sell this winter.
-2.5 days to find an elk in a unit I've never been to before. Just not enough time.

Update, post last big game hunt of the year.

Worked:
-Korean war wool pants, cheap and warm
-Kuiu Kenai beanie - just damn warm and very windproof
-repeat offender... Cabelas Alaska Alaska Guide 6 person - wish I had the 8, but such a good truck camping tent
-Mr buddy heater, once you go "Buddy" you never go back.... LOL. So much faster and easier than a wood stove.

Didn't work:
-Tundra fuel tank capacity and mileage. Going to WY 13 mpg (15 coming back) and at 21 gal I'm under the E on the gauge, despite that it says I have a 25 gal tank = too many stops for gas
-MSR Windburner... so technically the stove itself worked just fine, the real issue was the fuel. You have to keep it warm(ish) if you want to actually use it in very cold temps. That's pretty tricky when it's in your backpack all day. Same with trying to hunt all day and maintain liquid water. I had to boil water in the morning and wrap it in a down coat.
-Schnees pac boots, Elk Hunters. They're not actually very warm, nor do they offer any real ankle support. Not sure what the hype is all about. I'll probably sell this winter.
-2.5 days to find an elk in a unit I've never been to before. Just not enough time.
The approx 300 mile range on the Tundra does suck. Extra gas can might give you piece of mind. F-150 would permanently solve that for you...
Most pac boots don't have great support. Nature of the beast I guess.
Driving to wyoming and not getting an elk is still better than hunting Washington.

What worked well for me was 22.250 shooting 50 grain v-max bullets. Me and my son both killed are antelope with that setup. That's the front shoulder of my son's buck, shot at 264 yards20201002_092506.jpg

Last edited:
Worked
Zero degree synthetic bag in the mtns. Had a trip in the Wrangells where if I had packed down, which I brought to the airstrip, I would have been in serious trouble.

Stone glacier pack. I get a little frustrated with this pack sometimes—adjusting all the straps, not always sure I have it right. I packed out two moose two days apart this year. On the second, I grabbed my old cabelas frame. I had just washed my SG. What a difference! The frame pack with a crappy waist belt slipping down made a relatively short pack miserable.

Didn’t work: Prana stretch zions. Everyone seems to love these pants but they never dried on my sheep hunt and they aren’t tough enough for devil’s club on dry days. I do like the cinch.

First lite guide lite pants were also disappointing. The material dries really well but all three zippers broke in-less than a season. Maybe I’ll return and give them another shot.

Things that worked great this season

Luci light 2.0- Upgraded USB charging port on this model. I’ve started bringing it along even on day trips. Worked awesome when I killed my bull at last light. Hung it on a tree branch for some good light while cutting him up.

Peak Refuel meals- Second year eating them and they are much better than MH. I do let them sit about 5 minutes longer than the package calls for.

Honey Stinger waffles- Delicious snack even when smashed in your pack.

Kuiu Bone out game bag- Worked very good for loose meat/trimmed meat.

OnX- First year using the phone App. Really liked it and the offline maps I saved were awesome.

Kuiu Pro suspension- Much more comfortable than the Icon pro suspension. Adjustable lumbar was a nice feature also.

What worked- couple of no brainers; 1-hunting/hiking far away from any roads 2-copious amounts of OnX e-scouting leading me to find places I may have otherwise overlooked.
What didn’t- my fuggin knee, last December’s surgery didn’t do squat so I’m now scheduled for replacement this March 😖

Worked: Stone glacier pack was great and a huge improvement over my badlands. Walking old trails, I finally found my GoPro I lost 2 seasons ago along with my havelon. Both still worked and I broke down my deer and gutted My elk with the knife. North face 15deg down bag. My tikka -06.

Don’t work: my shoulder in archery season. Was able to rehab and hunt a day or two with my new Matthews. My bear tag.

Worked -
Kuiu Superdown has been great for glassing on windy ridges as has the Outdoorsmans bino adapter. Definitely have helped me spot more game.
Dan Coffin - per @mtmuley recommendation, he quickly solved some issues that I've been chasing my tail on with my rifle for years.

Didn't Work -
Myself. My struggle with depression the last few years have really taken a toll on my hunting along with the rest of my life. Can't get motivated to go out, don't hunt very long or very hard. Don't have anyone to hunt with so no one to keep me motivated. Wife finally said she had enough of it and got me an appointment with a head doctor. Hopefully I can get it work out cause it sucks.

Oh my Lowa Tibets are shot after 4 years, kinda ticked about that.
Appreciate the honesty; just want to throw some encouragement your way.

Worked:
Darn Tough over the calf socks. Love em.
Black Ovis NWT merino base layers.
Garmin InReach mini.
Mystery Ranch Mule pack.

Didnt work:
Crispi boots. 70 miles on em and they just arent breaking into comfy boots. Even at only a 3 flex rating they are WAY too stiff for my feet.

Vortex range finder (1200 model). Will barely give a reading off of metal gongs at 600 yards.
Underground Quilt Company quilt. After 6 years of service it is finally starting to show its age. Multiple tears in the last year. Waterproof down is no longer waterproof. Treated with NixWax so now to try again.

I ckecked out their website. Looks like it sits rigt ab out where my bino harness fits
Mine "shingles" nicely under my AGC bino harness. Kinda a PITA until you get the straps dialed in then it's easy living.

Now that I've thought about it

OnX sucked a$$ on my phone this year. Constantly had to reboot. Same phone as last couple years but this year it sucked.

Sitka windstopper was great since it was windy everywhere I went all the time.
Toyo R/T's were great in mud and snow

What worked well for me was 22.250 shooting 50 grain v-max bullets. Me and my son both killed are antelope with that setup. That's the front shoulder of my son's buck, shot at 264 yardsView attachment 166462
You killed it but lost a bunch of meat. Pronghorn aren’t tough to kill, I’d choose a game bullet as opposed to a varmint bullet.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back