Yeti GOBOX Collection

180 grain versus 200

7mm08mo

I'm going elk hunting next fall in Idaho unit 18. I will be taking my 300 rum for which I have a killer load for with 180 grain accubond over 95 grains of retumbo powder and shoots 3200fps at the muzzle and is very accurate. That being said I have researched the difference between the two and under two fifty the 180 specs are better but past that the 200 seems to have the advantage. I have 100 200 grains sitting in the safe ready to load, hoping to get a load somewhere around 2850-3000 fps. What do you guys reccomend or think on the two different weights of bullet?? What would you all do??

180s will kill elk very easily. They still work past 200. Like lawn boy said if your gonna load some 200s then use what ever shoots best in your gun

Every .300 RUM I've ever loaded for has shot the 200 grain Accubond very well. Get some RL-25 and Retumbo, and between the two I'm betting you'll find a great combo. Also, you have a lot of room left if your 180's only get 3200 fps. You should be able to attain that with a 200 grain bullet in a rifle with at least a 26 inch barrel. 3150 from a 210 is possible. In a cartridge with the horsrpower of the RUM burning 90 plus grains of powder, the bigger bullets make better sense to me. lots of RUM shooters love the 215 Hybrid, or even the 230 VLD. I've played with VLDs a bit, and I dont care for them on game in the RUM. Pm me if you need a place to start with the 200s. mtmuley

What mtmuley said ^^^^^...I've become a heavy for caliber fan using 180 scenars in a 7 RUM....

Honestly any advantage/disadvantage on paper is going to be completely irrelevant. Either is waaay over what is required to kill an elk. Shoot whichever is more accurate and you feel more confident with.

yep what PRM said . elk do not die from B.C. and huge bullets they die from well placed shots. i use a 140 gr in a 6.5 and have taken elk very cleanly to 600 yrds. elk are not some giant that so many ppl seem to think can not be put down with well placed shots from much smaller bullets then 200 gr.i have taken elk with bullets from 80 gr to 180gr and all did the same thing which was kill them very well with 1 shot

yep what PRM said . elk do not die from B.C. and huge bullets they die from well placed shots. i use a 140 gr in a 6.5 and have taken elk very cleanly to 600 yrds. elk are not some giant that so many ppl seem to think can not be put down with well placed shots from much smaller bullets then 200 gr.i have taken elk with bullets from 80 gr to 180gr and all did the same thing which was kill them very well with 1 shot

Well said. Put a well made bullet where it needs to be, and you'll have a dead elk.

The 180 does seem light for an Ultra Mag but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is recoil will be less than with the 200. If that matters to you. As others have said, either one will kill an elk. Personally with that kind of velocity I'd be using a copper bullet, probably Barnes.

Heavy bullets have higher BC's, which helps in shot placement, so actually elk do die from BC.

Also, at 300 mag speeds, lighter bullets blow up.

A 140 6.5 bullet and a 150 30 cal bullet are not comparable.

Belly deep, that is a bullet design issue not a speed issue.

Nosler loves my 180 grain .300 win mag mushroom pictures after each elk season.

Not a lot of difference in drop...Whichever is more accurate.

180vs%20200_zps1u7himxi.jpg

What is that chart supposed to mean? And there is no way you can feel the recoil difference between a 180 and 200. At least I haven't in 15 years of shooting RUM's. mtmuley

Heavy bullets have higher BC's, which helps in shot placement, so actually elk do die from BC.

Also, at 300 mag speeds, lighter bullets blow up.

A 140 6.5 bullet and a 150 30 cal bullet are not comparable.

really a heavier bullet with higher B.C. will make you a better shot ???:eek::eek::eek::eek:
high B.C. will not aid in shot placement knowing where the bullet you are shooting and its drop at any given yardage is what counts not high B.C.

really a heavier bullet with higher B.C. will make you a better shot ???:eek::eek::eek::eek:
high B.C. will not aid in shot placement knowing where the bullet you are shooting and its drop at any given yardage is what counts not high B.C.

Sure are a lot of guys hung up on the holy grail of ballistic coefficient though, isn't there? Maybe they think it will make them better marksman? mtmuley

i hear you on that one. the make false statements and can not even back it up.
what they should say is a higher B.C. bullet can shoot flatter and with less wind drift in a given caliber but that does not always crossover to a tighter group size.

if a heavier bullet shoots better groups in your rifle by all means shoot. but to say all high B.C. bullets will shoot better is [ this is the part where i say again ] false

they to make it sound that a lower B.C. bullet just drops out of the air somewhere around 300 yrds :eek:

if a lighter bullet with less B.C. shoots better groups in my rifle then that is what i will use
oh and here is the really good part i will aim a 1/4" higher and give another 1" of wind because it does not shoot like a lazer like all the holly life giving high B.C. bullet does

i can not even think how crappy my .257 80gr TTSX going 3100 fps at the muzzle looks like in 1 of those charts . i bet if i went by all they say about lower B.C. and being under that magical ft. lbs of energy out past 100 yrds.
i better take all those deer/elk/bear/antelope/tahr/chamois out of the freezer because they are not really dead

But, accuracy being equal, I'll take the heavier bullet every time. In some cartridges, like the RUM's, why wouldn't you? mtmuley

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back