Caribou Gear Tarp

Absolute Hammer Load Data

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I have used 134gn Hammer Hunters to great success out of 7mm08 with Varget (44.5gn @2940fps). I am now developing a load for an 18" barrel (1:9" twist) + suppressor in 7x57AI and 140gn Ultimate Hammer bullets- any thoughts on powder? I have Varget, H4350, H4831SC, H4895 and RL16 on hand. I want as much speed as I can out of the short barrel while avoiding blowing a bunch of unburned powder into the suppressor.
If you’re talking the Absolute Hammer I’d probably start with Varget and/or 4350.

I have used 134gn Hammer Hunters to great success out of 7mm08 with Varget (44.5gn @2940fps). I am now developing a load for an 18" barrel (1:9" twist) + suppressor in 7x57AI and 140gn Absolute (fixed) Hammer bullets- any thoughts on powder? I have Varget, H4350, H4831SC, H4895 and RL16 on hand. I want as much speed as I can out of the short barrel while avoiding blowing a bunch of unburned powder into the suppressor.
No idea what powder… but I’m sure once you get settled into it, that’s going to be a fun rifle.

If you are looking for the Lee factory crimp dies and they don't make your caliber their custom shop is back open. I needed one for my 7SAUM and just got it the other day, you'll have to send a dummy round in. They said it would be up to 8 weeks, took them only about 3 weeks so that was nice. Now if I only had the barrel I could start loading!

Anybody have a recommendation for .30-06? I keep looking at the Model 70 featherweight carbine in my safe and thinking I should play with it more.

Maybe the 151 gr Absolute Hammers? I’ve got lots of Varget, a pound of IMR 4350, IMR 4064, or about 1/2 pound of R15.

I've used the 166 a bit. The thing with Absolutes is it seems the gains aren't as great as caliber increases. The 160 looks like a great bullet. Might give them a go. mtmuley

I've used the 166 a bit. The thing with Absolutes is it seems the gains aren't as great as caliber increases. The 160 looks like a great bullet. Might give them a go. mtmuley
I don’t know if I’m looking to “gain” anything. I’ve actually never loaded for this rifle and I’ve wanted to try Hammers, so why not kill two birds with 1 stone.

Did you like the 160 or 166 better? Use either for hunting or just messed around a bit?

I don’t know if I’m looking to “gain” anything. I’ve actually never loaded for this rifle and I’ve wanted to try Hammers, so why not kill two birds with 1 stone.

Did you like the 160 or 166 better? Use either for hunting or just messed around a bit?
Haven't loaded the 160 yet. Hunted the 166 on deer and antelope. I don't think going even lighter than 160 is a bad thing. The 117 in. 270 is going quite a reputation among guys that use it. I am still working with that one. mtmuley

I have used 134gn Hammer Hunters to great success out of 7mm08 with Varget (44.5gn @2940fps). I am now developing a load for an 18" barrel (1:9" twist) + suppressor in 7x57AI and 140gn Absolute (fixed) Hammer bullets- any thoughts on powder? I have Varget, H4350, H4831SC, H4895 and RL16 on hand. I want as much speed as I can out of the short barrel while avoiding blowing a bunch of unburned powder into the suppressor.
Varget worked great for me in my 22in 7mm08ai And 145lrx... id give varget a try again or h4350

I'm doing an interesting experiment throttling down the 6.5 WBY RPM to recoil like a 6.5CM for Miss T. The rifle is 6 3/4 pounds scoped and dry.
Fun to have new caliber to geek out on.
Steve got me started with some ideas. Ordered sample packs of every .264 weight.
The big surprise has been that on paper heavier bullets produce less recoil. (They take up more case capacity, so less powder to get to the 85% bogey and 100% burn)
Since I WANT to consume case capacity, every bullet is seated to the deepest ring crimp point. Not caring about where the lands are unless they just flat won't print on paper.

Lots of boxes to check.
1)Bullet and powder together must total fewer grains than a 143 ELD-X and 41 grains of RL-17. (My theoretical control load for 6.5 CM)
2)Must be 100% powder burn in case we do have to run with the brake on. I don't want a flame thrower. .
3)Minimum load ratio (Density) is 85%.
4)Powder has to be in my cabinet right now. Fun to be looking at some "old" powders like IMR4320 again.

I'm using a VERY simplified recoil formula. Assumes the two theoretical rifles are identical in all but chambering.
For my use. Recoil = ((mass of bullet + mass of powder)*velocity in fps)/7000)
Payload x velocity give me grains force in foot seconds/ 7000 to convert to pounds-feet per second.
I've done the modeling for 85gr, 92gr, 97 gr, 99gr. so far.

Steve said he took a 110 gr load to Africa and it was very mild @3500fps

Had crazy fast 178g Absolutes in the RUM 30's, but the group, pressure, and deviation bloomed at the higher speeds. Stuck with Hunter 181@ just under 3300.

Back