Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

180 grain versus 200

Thanks for all the help. If they are any near as accurate I belive i will use the 200 grains as the ballistic info seems to point to more energy, and you can't have to big of gun so why not the bullet also.

really a heavier bullet with higher B.C. will make you a better shot ???:eek::eek::eek::eek:
high B.C. will not aid in shot placement knowing where the bullet you are shooting and its drop at any given yardage is what counts not high B.C.

The trickiest part of long range shooting is windage, you fool. Drop is completely predictable. It never changes. Windage is another matter entirely. Not only is it tough to read, but it is highly variable. A high BC bullet cuts down on error when trying to determine windage. Not that hard to figure out.

fool really:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
i do know all about wind drift . why not put up 1 of those fancy charts to show a side beside
chart of the wind drift on each of those to bullets ?
180 in a lets say 10 mph left to right then of the 200 same wind left to right and show how much less the 200 has at 3,4,4,6,and 700 yrds
you be shocked that they are not to far off. the real trick for fools like me is to now where the bullet i am using will both in drop and wind then i can do a little fool thinking and aim my rifles for that.
i will say it 1 more time for all the fools like me to get it high B.C. bullet does not add up to a lazer nor does it add up on its own to tighter groups. the only thing it can do is add up to less drop and less wind drift if it has less time of flight over a lower b.c. in the same caliber
but even that does not add to tighter groups . some rifles might like a heavy bullet and that is what groups the best for you but not always . most rifles will have a cpl different bullets it likes the most for nice tight groups and b.c. is not key factor EVER

some rifles might like a heavy bullet and that is what groups the best for you but not always . most rifles will have a cpl different bullets it likes the most for nice tight groups and b.c. is not key factor EVER

Ok here's your assignment.

Take a rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with a low BC bullet.

Take a rifle that shoots 1 MOA at 100 yards with a VLD type bullet.

Shoot both at 800 yards and tell me which one produces better groups.

Obviously BC doesn't have an effect on accuracy in a completely controlled environment, nor does it have a noticeable effect at short ranges. But once you start throwing in other variables, they shine. The reason match shooters use them is solely for their shape, and the person that wins is the one who shoots the smallest groups.

I'm going elk hunting next fall in Idaho unit 18. I will be taking my 300 rum for which I have a killer load for with 180 grain accubond over 95 grains of retumbo powder and shoots 3200fps at the muzzle and is very accurate. What do you guys reccomend or think on the two different weights of bullet?? What would you all do??

What length is your barrel and what twist do you have in it?
Are you shooting the original Accubonds or the newer LRAB? With a "killer load" I'm betting the original Accubonds because the newer LRAB have shown some issues by many.

you are making it very clear to me now that you have not done very much long range shooting with to many different bullets
you need to maybe go out and they this then get back to how only high B.C. can group the best at 600 yrds

a little back ground about me
am i the best hunting ever nope
am i the best long range shooter ever nope
am i a bench rest shooter nope
but what i do is a lot of shooting and bullet testing with many different bullets in a given caliber. some bullets are ok B.C some are even on the high side . i have never found that the high b.c. bullet will out shine anything else i can load in that rifle. the plain hard facts are that more times then not a flat base which will have a lower bc then a boattail of the same weight in that caliber will shoot the best and the speeds i am shooting.
how do i do so much bullet testing and load testing you might ask
well outside my back door i have a 1,2,and 300 yrd range and i also have a test stand for shooting some of these bullets into my test media.
many things have to all come together for what i am looking for in a hand loaded round
they can be different for what i am planning to use that loaded round for from bench rest shooting to varmint shooting to hunting close or long range

FYI you ask that i try high bc bullets at long range and then shoot a lower bc at the same target and see which 1 shoots better. well i have done this many times and this is why i can sit here and type what i type as truth .
can you say the same thing ?????????

how do i do so much bullet testing and load testing you might ask
well outside my back door i have a 1,2,and 300 yrd range

Well hell you must be the second coming of Chris Kyle!!!!

300 yards is fine flat base territory. You really should be proud of yourself!

never did say i only shoot to 300
i only shoot to 300 on my place
you really are in sad shape from drinking from the bc koolaid punch bowl for to long
its ppl like you that are a waste of time trying to teach the truth.

if you are so sure that you can only shoot good groups at longer ranges then by all means
shoot them you will be wrong but please keep shooting them:D

belly-deep maybe do a little checking here and there to see just far off the mark you are with the idea that ONLY high bc boat tail bullets can group good at long range and flat base lower bc can not be any good at longer ranges .

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?66876-Flat-base-vs-boat-tail

Is that the best you can do? A thread from 5 years ago written on a different forum? Not to mention a good chunk of the conversation was in favor of BT bullets.

You're really on a roll now. You should use your super sleuthing skills to find out which bullets have been winning the LR matches. I bet it's Winchester Power Points and Core-loss!!!!

Keep digging around and get back to me with the results...I'm anxiously awaiting.....

What length is your barrel and what twist do you have in it?
Are you shooting the original Accubonds or the newer LRAB? With a "killer load" I'm betting the original Accubonds because the newer LRAB have shown some issues by many.

26" barrel 1-10 twist and yes I use the original accubonds. I am excited tonight I just got back from spending my Christmas cash and gift cards at the original bass pro in springfield mo and bought a rock chucker supreme master reloading kit, can't wait to get it set up and start loading. Always before I went to my buddies and loaded now I can do it here.

Did this spin off target (pun intended)? 180 vs 200 is the sort of thing that should not keep you up at night. Assuming you can group well at 300 yards with one or the other then it is time to move on to 180 or 200 other factors that impact successful hunting outcome and experiences. Physical training. Scouting. A good pair of broken in boots. Communication plan if something bad happens while on a hunt. Some first aid knowledge and practical training for handling some common injuries. Survival training if have to spend a night unexpectedly in some wet and cold temps. On and on. Good luck on your hunt and be sure to post the story here.

:rolleyes:Ok, no one sleeps until the 0.0457 oz ballistic mitigation is unanimously journaled. Serious bidness.

You add in the issue of your tip melting off, and you really have problems. mtmuley

found the load

I finally got a good load worked up for the hunt. I setteled on 92 grains of retumbo with the 200 grain accubond. It is very accurate so far, and when at the range saturday in 70 degree weather it was shooting 3307fps with about 15 fps variance either way. Seems very likely that this will be the load. Shooting through a chrony and off the worst bench at the range on a slope as we were building a new platform it shot a good group at 100. I'm going to load a few more and get a solid rest and see what kind of group I can get.

3307 fps with 92 grains of Retumbo? You sure? What rifle? Barrel length? That is absolutely smoking for that bullet in .300 RUM regardless of powder. mtmuley

Rem model 700 26 bbl it was 70 degrees out. 1st 3364 2nd 3307 3rd 3309 other two didn't record, as I let another person shoot it they asked never had shot one.

Rem model 700 26 bbl it was 70 degrees out. 1st 3364 2nd 3307 3rd 3309 other two didn't record, as I let another person shoot it they asked never had shot one.

If the cases look ok and you're with book recommended loads, you might want to test those again on a cloudy day. If they still clock that fast, you might want to back off a bit.

I'd say chrony error. By 200 fps or so. 92 grains is on the low side of Retumbo for that bullet. Recommended max of 95 grains won't break 3200 fps in a 26 inch barrel. I've been past max and haven't even come close to 3300. A really stiff charge of RL-25 averaged 3234 fps for me, but with not so subtle pressure signs. Pay close attention. Things happen quick with a RUM sometimes. mtmuley

I've wondered about chrony error. Book loads from hodgdon are max of 95.5 grains for a 200 grain accubond and starting load at 89 grains. I would like to shoot it on a cooler day and see what it does. My first load was 93 grains and it clocked 3250 but it was about 50 degrees that day and had protruding primers this load shows not signs of pressure. Thanks for the advice guys.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back