Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

17 HMR ya or na

Slydog

There is much talk about the 17 HMR and what it will do. I think that most of us will agree this cartridge is not going to be at the top of the list for predator guns. At the same time I think to many people underestimate its killing power. I have compiled data over the last 2 years and just want to know how others have done with the little rocket.

sly

I've lusted after one...
wink.gif

In my 25 years in the gun business, it has taken off better than ANY new caliber I have ever seen. Sales continue to be STRONG. The reason: It does not matter whether it's an NEF or custom, THEY"LL SHOOT! I've seen it kill from rabbits to hogs. It is even been a regular winner on mothly rimfire shoot around here, even in the wind. AND you can buy a gun for around $169.95 up. Bod

I have shot the 17HMR and have had no complants except for the wind the 17grn bullet is a little light on windy days. My longest shot with the 17 was out at 180yrds. The coyote never new what hit him, and never moved after hitting the ground.

The 17HMR in the RIGHT hands, I'm sure well do the job at shorter ranges. Problem is most guys don't shoot that good, we all know it's where you put the bullet. I my opinion, that little pill was not made for coyotes just like the 300 mag was not made for Rino, but they can do the job in the right hands.

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm with Danny on this one, "IN THE RIGHT HANDS" , and within it's effective range. I just see to many guys try to stretch it's ability to the outer limits and then talk bad about it and how it won't kill coyotes.
That's just not the case, it will kill coyotes and kill them dead, if you keep the shots under 80 yards. Sure there is going to be the LUCKY shot at 150 maybe even 200 but I personaly garentee that shooting coyotes with this round at over 70 yards will = lost yotes sooner or later.
I'm not trying to slamb this little cartridge because I truly love it to death, but all guns have limitations and the 17HMR is no exception. Once you learn it's limitations and accept them you can expect great things from this cartridge.

FYI the 17 HMR is one of the best fox getters around and 100 yards is not out of its range.

good input guys and once again thanks

sly

I have seen the 17 Remington (and its a lot bigger than the HMR) on several coyote. thats why I like 22-250,or 243win..If it's not fur season.6mm,or.243 is the way to go with 80gr soft points.big holes
biggrin.gif

Back