Zinke grants industry wish list while shutting out the public

mfb99

Ryan Zinke, Secretary of the Interior recently directed his agency to give priority to protecting animal migration routes.

Sounds good right? But what he is DOING is completely opposite to helping us the Sportsmen and Sportswomen. Zinke the swamp creature will dangle some crumbs to the masses, he will dazzle with the shiny object, while at the same time he will be smoking cigars in the boardroom of Oil and Mineral Extraction CEO's

You can read about the animal migration (shiny object) over at the NYT, but here is the real Zinke as written up in The Hill:

The Department of the Interior, under Secretary Ryan Zinke, wants to stop the public from “interfering” with its ongoing efforts to hand control of America’s public lands over to commercial and industrial interests. According to a report finalized in September and leaked to the Washington Post last week, the department plans to eviscerate the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), and explore other ways of clamping down on public involvement.

NEPA has long been a target of extractive industries seeking to exploit public resources for private profit because it requires federal agencies like the Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to study the environmental effects of their proposals before taking action. If BLM opens public lands to oil and gas leasing, for instance, NEPA requires the agency to consider how exploration and drilling will affect wildlife habitat, endangered species, water quality, air quality, and aesthetics.

Under NEPA, federal agencies must consider a full range of alternatives, including environmentally preferable ones. The agencies must also provide opportunities for public input, and then meaningfully respond to any input they receive. In short, NEPA requires a “look before you leap” approach to management. But extractive industries seeking to exploit America’s public lands would rather have the agencies “leap” recklessly toward highly profitable — and highly destructive — industrial development.

It looks like they may get their way. The Interior Department’s leaked recommendations for “streamlining” NEPA read like an industry wish list. The recommendations would permit — and in some cases require — BLM to rubber-stamp actions like oil and gas leasing, livestock grazing, logging, mining, and large-scale deforestation, all without considering environmental consequences or public opinion.

For example, the recommendations would effectively eliminate environmental analysis of “vegetation treatments” — a euphemistic term for large-scale deforestation projects, typically in the sensitive sagebrush habitats and pinyon-juniper woodlands of the arid West.

BLM has been clearing pinyon and juniper from Western landscapes since the 1950s. The agency will often drag an anchor chain from a U.S. Navy battleship across the land, uprooting all native vegetation and leaving behind thousands of acres of bare ground. Initially, these deforestation projects sought to increase the land available to domestic livestock. More recently they have been re-branded as habitat restoration. However, there is no evidence that these so-called “treatments” improve wildlife habitat, and most of the available scientific literature shows that they do more harm than good.

Nevertheless, the Interior Department wants to exempt “vegetation treatments” from NEPA, eliminating any environmental analysis, and any opportunity for public comment regarding these devastating projects. The department likewise seeks to log public forests, spray pesticides across public rangelands, and slaughter wild horses without any kind of formal deliberation or public oversight. All of these projects — and more — would be fast-tracked through the approval process and implemented without analysis.

In addition to gutting NEPA, Zinke’s plans to cut the public out of public lands include weakening the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and the Equal Access to Justice Act (EAJA). FOIA is critical to government transparency.
It enables the public to see the paperwork behind a project and thus better understand the decisionmaking process. Interior’s recommendations would amend FOIA to “limit the number of … requests from any one group” and require “more stringent justification for fee waivers.” Regional and community-based watchdog groups, many of which can’t afford to buy access to public records, depend on FOIA’s fee waiver provisions.

EAJA, meanwhile, allows plaintiffs to recover the costs of litigation in cases where the government is found to have broken the law. Under Zinke’s plan, EAJA would be amended to allow the government to recover costs and fees from public-interest litigants. This will leave major industries like oil, gas, and timber as the only parties wealthy enough to challenge unfavorable decisions. The rest of us will be left without recourse when our public lands are despoiled by short-sighted, industry-driven plans.

Together, the proposed changes to FOIA and EAJA would render public oversight of land management decisions prohibitively expensive, while hiding important planning information — including records of any deals with industry — from public view.

A clear majority of Americans, including a majority of rural Westerners who live among public lands, favor conservation over exploitation.
Instead of blindly stripping away environmental protections and reducing transparency, the Interior Department should consider why the public keeps “interfering” with attempts to exploit public resources. And it should remember that public lands belong to all Americans, not just those with deep pockets or political allies.[/B]

Scott Lake is the Idaho director of Western Watersheds Project, an environmental conservation organization working to protect and restore western watersheds and wildlife.

Fight back, call your congressional leaders 202-224-3121

Cheers,

Mark

Ye Shall Be Free To Roam.....

I just heard from Amazon that my new Hank Shaw book: Pheasant, Quail, Cottonail will be here on Tuesday. Got some birds and rabbits in the freezer just for it. Been looking forward to this one.

I cut some elk leg steaks into thin strips. Along with some onions and peppers, made some great fajitas.

Some don't understand the complicated world we live in and the ramifications of those that wish to take control of our system. Although this is serious stuff, some don't wish to use brain power that is involved to understand it. Sorry guys, if you don't wish to respond in a manner that adds to the discussion you can just not respond. It's your choice.

BLM has been clearing pinyon and juniper from Western landscapes since the 1950s. The agency will often drag an anchor chain from a U.S. Navy battleship across the land, uprooting all native vegetation and leaving behind thousands of acres of bare ground. Initially, these deforestation projects sought to increase the land available to domestic livestock. More recently they have been re-branded as habitat restoration. However, there is no evidence that these so-called “treatments” improve wildlife habitat, and most of the available scientific literature shows that they do more harm than good.

Thanks for the seated porcelain throne read, Mark.

One aspect I value, aside from the little chihuahua humping / nutting on my leg :D , I really value the content learned within HT forums. I'm curious if you read other threads or robotically start threads within here and elsewhere.
We had an entire discussion on the topic of "chaining". It was really informative. Did you happen to read it? Cheers if you disagreed with the positives the process offered. We all have our opinion.
Myself, knowing those here with knowledge and direct involvement along with research and learning from others, it was... Really informative. Check it out, Mark.

Interesting environmental group opposition to domestic mineral extraction... A, "not in my country" type mentality that makes every attempt to oppose domestic resource extration, utilizing, "smoking cigars..." descriptive content. You think they were Maduro type or a Churchill smoke?

Meh, you're actually making this enjoyable. :) Have a great Saturday. One aspect, aside from what great dinners we had, we do, on occasion discuss portions of your content so there is some sort of, win" for ya.

BTW, Huhot sucked for lunch yesterday. Undercooked... Paid the bill and left. Not even worth the time to speak with a manager. Then again, may be worth a throne seated email sharing my concern. I've had mostly good experiences in the past though this one... Meh. Not a good dish.

Last edited:
Some don't understand the complicated world we live in and the ramifications of those that wish to take control of our system. Although this is serious stuff, some don't wish to use brain power that is involved to understand it. Sorry guys, if you don't wish to respond in a manner that adds to the discussion you can just not respond. It's your choice.

People understand Shoots, I believe that Marks tone and constant bashing of Zinke has turned most people off from the true message he tries to bring.

I’ve discovered that I like beets and have been eating kale, beet, goat cheese salads with a balsamic on it
If you’re unfamiliar with ‘beeturia’ look it up. I thought I was dying the other day. If that happened, I’d never get to chase those 200”+ deer that thrive in AZ where that awful chaining took place.

I wonder if Sasquatch knows the Swamp Creature. I bet they play cribbage.

As for dinner, I cheated and called the local sub shop. Too lazy to cook last night.

I’ve discovered that I like beets and have been eating kale, beet, goat cheese salads with a balsamic on it
If you’re unfamiliar with ‘beeturia’ look it up. I thought I was dying the other day. If that happened, I’d never get to chase those 200”+ deer that thrive in AZ where that awful chaining took place.

Sounds like a pretty good salad! I may have to try that. I do enjoy goat cheese, thin sliced beets, and a bit of kale... More a fan of spinach though... Good idea. Think you set my lunch. Cheers! :)

Ever add juniper berries to venison stew? Very good flavor enhancement. And pine nuts in cous-cous? To die for!

"BLM has been clearing pinyon and juniper from Western landscapes since the 1950s. The agency will often drag an anchor chain from a U.S. Navy battleship across the land, uprooting all native vegetation and leaving behind thousands of acres of bare ground. Initially, these deforestation projects sought to increase the land available to domestic livestock. More recently they have been re-branded as habitat restoration. However, there is no evidence that these so-called “treatments” improve wildlife habitat, and most of the available scientific literature shows that they do more harm than good.

Nevertheless, the Interior Department wants to exempt “vegetation treatments” from NEPA, eliminating any environmental analysis, and any opportunity for public comment regarding these devastating projects. The department likewise seeks to log public forests, spray pesticides across public rangelands, and slaughter wild horses without any kind of formal deliberation or public oversight. All of these projects — and more — would be fast-tracked through the approval process and implemented without analysis."

Mark, you are a tool. Cheers!

People understand Shoots, I believe that Marks tone and constant bashing of Zinke has turned most people off from the true message he tries to bring.

So would you find this info more palatable if it Mark were to sugar-coat it? The fight against Zinke and the current administration and what they are trying to do to our public lands must not stop.

Mark...do you even hunt? Do you have any other hubbies other than trolling here?

Beer battered catfish last night with broccoli and cheese sauce and rice

So would you find this info more palatable if it Mark were to sugar-coat it? The fight against Zinke and the current administration and what they are trying to do to our public lands must not stop.

Mark cut and pasted a bunch of drivel from the western watershed project. I have no use for that outfit. He dosnt hunt and is not a supporter of hunters. You can swallow his koolaid all you want though. Its a free country still.

Nothing to do with sugar coating. All Mark has to do is state facts as opposed to his 3 paragraph intro as to why Zinke is a “swamp creature.” Did you follow his thread from a few days about the new National Park in Patagonia that he tried to link to Zinke and Trump? Facts Gr8bawana...That’s all we want. Why don’t you tell us how off base this article is in regards to chaining? Or would that be outside of your agenda. You seem to be one of the few that believes Mark actually does something worth a sh*t on this forum. The bottom line is he is a troll.

Extractive industries hate NEPA. Without it, citizens, wildlife agencies and advocates have no official leverage to oppose habitat destruction by industry. NEPA is a counterbalance to the deep pockets and political intimacy big oil, gas, mining and timber have to their advantage. Without NEPA there is no need for PLT, because industry can do what it wants w our public lands, @ the owners' expense, and without fair compensation. Public land hunters owe their hunting grounds to NEPA. The current administration would much rather drill, mine, extract than have to consider the values of public landowners: hunters, anglers, campers, and anyone else not wearing a hardhat.

NEPA is vital to research the effects of these proposals and allowing the public to give an informed input on the topic. I have worked with the federal government in the past and have dealt with NEPA, it is a very important program to make informed decisions .

Mark cut and pasted a bunch of drivel from the western watershed project. I have no use for that outfit. He dosnt hunt and is not a supporter of hunters. You can swallow his koolaid all you want though. Its a free country still.

^this. Maybe an original thought from the OP vs his C&P(without providing a source link) would be a welcome change.

Oh, kielbasa stir fry with taters, onions, bell peppers and squash.

Back