Caribou Gear

Zimbabwe - Cape Buffalo

fishing4sanity

In 2014 I hunted Africa for the first time. I hunted in South Africa with my brother and had a very enjoyable safari. Like many hunters who go to Africa, I started dreaming about a second safari before the plane had even landed back in America. This past May I made it back for safari #2. I went with my brother again, plus two other friends, one of whom was on his first safari. We decided the main objective would be cape buffalo and settled on a remote and wild area in Zimbabwe.
Getting there was an adventure in itself, but also the worst part of going to Africa. The flight from Seattle to Dubai went north from Seattle, passing near the North Pole. Watching the in-flight map screen was interesting, we passed right over Tehran and numerous other names popped up on the screen that I really did not want to visit. Luckily no unscheduled landings. After an overnight in Dubai and another in Harare ZIM, four different flights and 26 hours in a torture device called Economy Class airline seats, we landed on a dirt airstrip and the hunt was on.
20190525_063923-01.jpegDSC_2078-2.jpgDSC_2087-1.jpg20190521_164951-01.jpeg20190528_162422-01.jpeg20190521_195725-01.jpeg20190529_062354-02.jpegDSC_2155-1.jpg20190526_170733-01.jpeg20190521_155508-01.jpeg
To accommodate four different hunters and four PH’s (professional hunter, a.k.a. guide) one of us would be hunting an area that was about an hour and 40 minutes from camp, that hunter was me. I wasn’t too thrilled with the idea of spending over three hours a day driving, but in the end I felt lucky. I saw many animals for the first time on this trip, many of which were during the drive back and forth in the dark. Traffic at night can be interesting. We had a couple of encounters with elephants much closer than this while driving - luckily no contact. When you brake for the elephant in the road and the unseen one to your side trumpets to tell you that you're too close, it gets your attention!
20190520_185456-01.jpeg
It was so interesting I considered asking my PH to spend a whole night just driving around to see what we could find, but my days started at 3:30 am and ended between 10 and 10:30, so I opted for some sleep instead.
One of the most interesting sightings for me was the African Wild Dog. I had told my PH I had hopes of seeing some of these dogs even though they cannot be hunted. One morning at first light we spotted a pack of 16 dogs that quickly vanished. My PH, York, could imitate the sound of almost every bird and animal we saw, so we sat down real low in some grass and brush and he started calling them. Soon we had about half the pack back investigating us. After a little more talking we had three of these dogs within five feet of us. The light was so low that I ended up with mainly blurred pics, but it was one of the highlights of the safari for me.
DSC_2212-1-01.jpegDSC_2222-1-01-01.jpeg
The main goal was cape buffalo, and two of us got one, the other two guys never got a shot opportunity at buffalo. I was fortunate to be one of the hunters who got a buffalo. I had told my PH that my dream hunt was to stalk an old ‘dugga boy,’ the name they call the old bulls who are past their prime, usually live a solitary life in the thick stuff and enjoy mud wallows.
20190526_171006-01.jpeg
After many many stalks that ended in nothing, just the sound of a bull crashing away through the brush or a fleeting glimpse, we got eyes on one before he saw or smelled us. I was able to put a shot in his shoulder as he passed through an opening, but I found out these bulls are tough. After tracking him for a short distance the PH said he felt we should loop out to the side, leaving the track. We did and found the bull watching his back trail. Now about 20 yards away, when he saw us, he turned toward us and I shot him in the head dropping him to the ground, with the PH adding an insurance shot.
DSC_2132-1.jpgDSC_2126-1.jpg20190524_130527-01.jpeg
I also got a zebra with a long lion scar on his back hip, a baboon, a wildebeest and a klipspringer.
DSC_2111-1.jpgDSC_2098-1-1.jpg20190525_143603-01.jpeg20190528_093315-01.jpeg
By the way, I’ve heard guys here on the forum ask if such-and-such caliber is overkill for pronghorn. I’ve always felt there is really no such thing as ‘overkill.’ When I put the crosshairs of my 375 H&H on my diminutive klipspringer, I started asking myself that same ‘overkill’ question.
DSC_2226-1.jpg
The elusive warthog, elusive at least for me, got away again. So, even though the sun has set on this safari, maybe there will have to be a safari #3?
20190525_170954-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Absolutely amazing photos! That buff is an old warrior for sure.

Wow! Amazing trip and fantastic photos.

When I saw those elephant at the waterhole pictures at extreme perfect focus I knew I would start to smell African bush smells moments later, and my brain didn't disappoint.

Other spectacular images include the worn teeth on your baboon, and the hind quarter of the zebra with the healed scars. Super adventure well documented.

Thank you for the great photos and write up. It looks like you had an amazing adventure. Can you tell us how you narrowed your safari down to Zimbabwe over over other countries? What made this hunt different than your previous one?

Wow! What an amazing adventure!!!

Grats on an epic experience! Thanks for sharing the story and... Wow! Incredible pictures to follow along.

Thank you for the comments. The bull was aged at 18 years old, the skinner said in the 26 years he's been working there it was the oldest bull he has seen. The baboon's teeth were very worn down with age. They started joking with me about shooting such old animals, I told them I have to find the old ones with poor eyesight and poor hearing to level the playing field.
@BrooksRanger the reason we chose Zimbabwe and this outfitter, was mainly because one of the guys in our group hunted leopard with them before. We were looking for a safari closer to the safaris of days long ago. We did have a generator and vehicles, but the area we hunted was remote and they walked us about into the ground. It was very nice being cut off from the hectic world back home - no cell phone, just as life was meant to be. I really enjoyed my time in South Africa too, but it was good to go to another country and experience new places.

Great adventure well-documented with photos. Thanks for sharing. Care to share what camera you used?

@Oak I used both a Nikon D810 and my Samsung cell phone. Often times I end up getting my favorite pics with my cell phone. If you hover over the pic, and the file name starts with "DSC" it's the Nikon, all numbers in the file name is the good ol' cell phone.

Reactions: Oak
Fantastic pictures and African experience. Thanks for sharing with us.

Awesome adventure and account. An old cape buffalo like that is probably about the only critter that could entice me over to Africa, although those are all beautiful specimens.

Very very cool! Superb pictures of an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back