PEAX Equipment

Your top 3 picks for a concealed carry?

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major micro 9's on the market - it's a matter of which fits your hand best.

I am no longer a skinny guy so IWB doesn't work for me and hanging a firearm on my belt defeats the conceal factor. So, I carry in my front pocket using a Sticky holster, these work really well at reducing the print of the grip and muzzle and are sticky...the pistol comes out fast and easy, practice, practice practice.
My profession puts me in commercial buildings, often without power (dark) and sometimes in neighborhoods less than desirable. Usually I am showing prospects the property. For years I carried the Ruger LCP (380), under 9 oz. empty (6 + 1) because of its size. An incident a couple years ago (very scary...pistol drawn and pointed..multiple thugs looking for a victim) got me thinking I needed more gun.

So, my 3 picks:

Ruger LCP: simply so easy to conceal, warm weather gun (.380 is still suspect even with FMJ if shooting thru jackets/heavy clothing). My experience it just runs, hundreds of ball and self defense rounds thru it with no malfunctions. This is no 25 yd shootout weapon, but more a "get off me" ear, nose & forehead device.

After the incident in the strip plaza mentioned above I picked up a 9mm, this was before the high capacity guns came out.

Ruger EC9: I'm not brand loyal, the EC9 was smaller both width and length than its competitors at that time and lighter at 17 oz. Conceals nicely in a Sticky holster and runs. I put 300 rounds of ball thru it the first day then followed with 50 self defense rounds, no failures. 7 + 1 capacity.

When Sig introduced the 365 I thought now there's a better mouse trap and sought one to shoot. My sons friend had one (1st iteration) so I invited him to come to my farm for a demo. Sweet little gun, feels good in the hand, shoots where pointed, didn't run. Consistent jammer with ball and self defense rounds. I understand the current iterations have fixed this problem.

Ruger Max 9: My son bought me this thinking at my advancing age I may need more rounds to settle a conflict (10/12 + 1), 18 oz, same size as the EC9. Tritium fiber optic front site for those times when things go bump in the night, I really like this option. My bedside gun has tritium as well, when your looking for your front site in the dark these make all the difference. I haven't run tested it yet, hoping not to have Vikings experience.

If my son had not given me the Max 9 I was going to look at the S&W Shield, Sig 365, Hellcat and the new Taurus micro. All have good to great reviews.

I carried a G19 for years. I still am fond of it. But, I now carry a Sig P365 and it is much more comfortable to me. I usually carry the 10rd inside the pants and a 12rd if outside the pants but that is just my preference. For general pistol work/training/etc I have grown to prefer the Sig 320X compact over my 19. I still like the 19 enough keep it though.

1. S&W 442 hammerless airweight. Easy to carry in coat pocket no reason to draw point and fire.
2. Sig 365 SAS nothing to snag when drawing, slim/compact, 10 and 1
not really compact or easily concealed but
3. Sig P245 6 and 1, just like the feel in my hands and when I can throw on a holster under my coat or heavy shirt.

Ruger SP101
sig 229
Cz 75
I don’t like any striker fired pistols because of a manual safety or light first round trigger pull.

2. Sig 365 SAS nothing to snag when drawing, slim/compact, 10 and 1
My wife has this one and she loves it, except one feature, no thumb slide release. Instead it requires us to jack the slide which takes the general aim off target.
Outside that, I dig the sights and nothing to catch and IMO, that's great for purse carry although a purse carry needs it's sleeve (purse holster) so a person knows where it is always and repetition/habit remains AND isn't visible, or purse spill, etc. I bought her a cqc clip holster that I've snuck off and "stole" her gun. It's a sweet gun that I kept hinting maybe it wasn't fit for her interest. She puts me in my place each time I try... Though that slide is my only beef with the SAS.

AGREE - A top pick for carry.

Tiny pew pew...trigger is a touch stiff and a bit of creep. 11 in the mag. This is the basic Taurus GX4 so the one with a small laser or night sights may be a better low light option. Black Friday these were $275ish plus a $50 rebate. When I get a moment I'll run a few mags of different bullets through it.

20221204_113608.jpg

Last edited:
For me, I don't shoot/like small grip pistols because I don't shoot them as well.

1. Hellcat Pro
2. FN 509
3. Hk Vp9
4. P365

In no particular order.

most people will just tell you the one they carry is the best. Go on youtube and watch guys breakdown the good and bad of multiple guns a go from there based on what appeals to you.

Anyways you should get a hellcat, thats what I have and like it ;) 13+1 is hard to beat.

Tiny pew pew...trigger is a touch stiff but zero creep. 11 in the mag. This is the basic Taurus GX4 so the one with a small laser or night sights may be a better low light option. Black Friday these were $275ish plus a $50 rebate. When I get a moment I'll run a few mags of different bullets through it.

View attachment 253800
I might go for that in a 22 RF to carry along fishing and putting carfish out of their missory! Nice looking little gun!

Here in Pennsylvania for the most part and for that matter with the sherif’s office here in Franklin County, it is easy to get your LTCF by filling out the application with two references, pass the requirements on the application, pay your $20.00 fee and you’re in. Certain county sheriffs may not always make it that easy, but I have never had any trouble and it’s good for five years until it’s time to apply again.
I carry, when I carry, an old Rossi .38 special snubby, made in Brazil and made like a Smith & Wesson on that tooling. A bit heavy for a carry but at my age I prefer to not acquire another revolver. I have a .357 magnum and two .22 revolvers. I haven’t fired a semi automatic pistol since boot camp, 1965.

Springfield Armory XD-40 sub-compact. I carry it every day all day. It's just like a pocket knife and it's a tool I have every day. Hope I don't need to use it, but it's there if the need arrises.

Colt Officers model in a custom made leather holster that rides close to the body for everyday dress or casual.

Glock 23 in wet, saltwater, and/or extra harsh environments

Colt Delta Elite for the woods

Spare mag(s)

M&P guy here. I like the 2.0 compact, it's manageable as an EDC even with an RDO. I do like the holsters that Haven Defense makes right here in CO. They're well-built and comfortable.
I found the Glock 43 very easy to EDC but it's so small it's difficult to shoot well. Haven't tried the 43x.

So just curious? What are your top 3 or just your favorite concealed carry fire arm?

This is for everyday carry working in a professional/office sort of setting…
I love my P365 sized IWB carry pistols... but lately I've been gravitating towards Ruger LCP .380 sized micro compacts because they're just so comfortable to carry. So I'd have to say:
~ Sig P365
~ Ruger LCP
~ S&W Shield (for the woods)

So just curious? What are your top 3 or just your favorite concealed carry fire arm?

I have taught CCW classes for over a decade and can say one thing: the most important element is being able to comfortably shoot accurately what ever you choose. I just finished a class today with 15 folks with a broad range of experience and it was evident that a firearm that fit the persons hand and was a caliber that they were comfortable shooting made all the difference. One gal came with a Kimber revolver and was told to shoot 357 mag by the salesman, could not hit the barn door. Put a J frame S&W in 22 and had her center of mass at 21 feet 100%. Switched her to a 38 special +p in her revolver and she quickly was on target and no longer afraid of noise,recoil and relaxed. Most of the women were shooting 9mm, the big issue was grip size. Those with full size grips did great, the compact models were definitely harder to shoot for everyone.

My personal carry is a 1911 45 with a short barrell (3 1/2 in) that fits comfortably behind my hip in a border slide type holster. My wife carries either a J frame S&W with 38 +p 110 grain HP or a Bond Arms bull pup in 9mm that fits in her pocket with almost no "printing" on her clothes. I was in a small office setting and 5 people, 4 carried regularly, two with Glock and 1 with a 9mm Springfield XDS and 1 with a compact 1911 45 (old school Cold Combat commander). Lots of good choices out there, I bring a table full or pistols to my class for people to try and they are usually surprised by what they shoot well when they try different grip configurations.

Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 - because I like a little style. It hasn't jammed on me since I broke it in and swapped magazines. I wish it had more capacity, but hey it's a 1911
Springfield Hellcat 9mm - I carry this during the summer. Easy to conceal and accurate.
Sig P365 - same as my hellcat. Easy to conceal during summer.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back