Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Your Public Land

I had hope that maybe, just maybe, this thread could be used to discuss what constitutes appropriate multiple use on Federal lands. I think that will be very hotly discussed topic during the confirmations of Secretaries of Ag and Interior.

Any chance that can happen, or will it be another thread where people struggle to make a compelling point and thus this thread becomes part of the trash heap?

Would you have a problem with an overpopulated deer herd being shot up by FWP and left to rot?

Are there dead deer lying under the trees, now that's a mess! Wildlife agencies do all sorts of things to deal with populations, Montana has their crummy sounding shoulder seasons going on and where I live we hunt elk for 6 months due to perceived population and damage issues.

I've seen way uglier thinning projects locally on state and corporate timber lands around me where about every other tree is cut and left to lay, makes it really fun to hunt elk in especially when the stumps are like walking through punji sticks. Really neat too when they post signs about extreme fire danger in those same areas after doing the thinning.

Without context to the pictures and no clue what is or was trying to be accomplished the faux outrage and need to overhaul and shakeup an agency is laughable.

I had hope that maybe, just maybe, this thread could be used to discuss what constitutes appropriate multiple use on Federal lands. I think that will be very hotly discussed topic during the confirmations of Secretaries of Ag and Interior.

Any chance that can happen, or will it be another thread where people struggle to make a compelling point and thus this thread becomes part of the trash heap?

To make a compelling point, I think we need all the data regarding this.

I think the OP is in a big hurry looking for any reason to vilify the USFS, when we aren't sure what the objective of this is, who did it, and where in the process the project is.

There's also a strong bias by the OP, that the only good tree is a dead tree that gets turned into a board, boiler fuel, OSB, etc. etc. not withstanding the volatility of the timber market. The OP, also has a long history of grinding axes when it some to Federal Land Management Agencies.

Until there are more facts, there isn't a compelling point to make.

The fact that most of them are cut in lengths leads me to believe they either were/are intended for firewood. Wouldn't think you'd go through the effort to do that unless you were coming back for it. IMO

To get this thread back on topic....

Contractors are doing a horrible job building houses lately, and there needs to be a big shake up on Building Codes, Building Inspection Agencies, IMO....

As evidence, I provide a picture, with no context:

c60e27ea-f72e-4477-b82e-bd83af3a6c60.jpg

What do you think Big Horn, you able to generate Faux Outrage against your brethren, based on a single picture?

To make a compelling point, I think we need all the data regarding this.

I think the OP is in a big hurry looking for any reason to vilify the USFS, when we aren't sure what the objective of this is, who did it, and where in the process the project is.

There's also a strong bias by the OP, that the only good tree is a dead tree that gets turned into a board, boiler fuel, OSB, etc. etc. not withstanding the volatility of the timber market. The OP, also has a long history of grinding axes when it some to Federal Land Management Agencies.

Until there are more facts, there isn't a compelling point to make.

I agree, it's ridiculous to turn this into a discussion on multiple use or anything else based on a picture and nothing more. Nobody has a clue at this point what the hell they're looking at so relax till you have some facts. If I'm ever on trial for something, I hope like hell those of you jumping to conclusions aren't on the jury.

I'd like to interject in a vain attempt to steer this thread into a positive trajectory, the OP's original picture does look much like a lot of fuel reduction/thinning projects I was involved in during my 5 years with the USFS as a shot crew member. Often these are long draw out projects accomplished using a combination of contractors, USFS personnel, and in some states inmates or conservation core crews. Not knowing the specifics of this project I can only guess, but it looks much like the mosaic pattern that fuels folks attempt to create in order to good mix of cover and forage for multiple species while reducing per acre fuel loading. Depending on what the end goal of the project is, there is a possibility that it will get piled and burned when it fully cures and conditions move into prescription to safely and effectively burn the piles with serious consideration given to the impact that smoke and ember cast can have on surrounding communities. Other options for the forest can be mastication or chipping to reduce the size and of the fuel sticks and therefore reduce the chances of them becoming a major contributing factor in fire spread as well as allowing them to decompose more quickly helping renew the topsoil and contribute to the growth of new trees. As far as the dead trees left standing in the area, the USFS isn't allowed to remove every dead tree in a given area unless there is a proven case of chronic disease or that they pose a serious threat to adjoining stands or to human life such as in campgrounds or other high use recreational areas.

In defense of the USFS personnel who answered the OP's email, she in all likelihood had no idea about the fuels projects occurring in the area. Front desk personnel are not usually briefed on fuels or fire operations unless they effect recreational areas. To give an example it would be like asking the admin assistant at the front desk at amazon what the direction Jeff Bezos was planning to take on the drone delivery program. I'd strongly encourage BHR to get in contact with his local fuels Battalion they'll be the one who will know what is going on with the project, be able to answer his questions, and would definitely appreciate constructive input from a land user.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that are floating around there or at least direct folks to someone who can, since I've been involved in a number of projects in the western states. In fact as a carded faller with a municipal fire department I'll be working with the USFS again on hazard reduction projects for the next couple years and with the persistent drought there are going to be a lot of them.

The person I talked to is the silviculturist for the forest. Turns out unknowned to her, someone else authorized a contractor to cut some trees down, then they forgot about having someone finish the job........until it was brought to their attention.

Is there a procedure that the FS is supposed to follow, when doing this kind of work?

The person I talked to is the silviculturist for the forest. Turns out unknowned to her, someone else authorized a contractor to cut some trees down, then they forgot about having someone finish the job........until it was brought to their attention.

Is there a procedure that the FS is supposed to follow, when doing this kind of work?

Why didn't you ask while you were in the FS if there is a procedure?

Still not enough information to know much of anything or draw any conclusions.

Either you're being intentionally vague or trying hard to not get the truth out.

I would have answers already...but I don't have an ax to grind either.

I agree, it's ridiculous to turn this into a discussion on multiple use or anything else based on a picture and nothing more. Nobody has a clue at this point what the hell they're looking at so relax till you have some facts. If I'm ever on trial for something, I hope like hell those of you jumping to conclusions aren't on the jury.

That's really never stopped anyone before now, why the proposed change?

Back