Caribou Gear

Wyoming results

Boy the deer and antelope leftovers list is almost non existent also. My how things have changed in WY the last few years. It's amazing to see some of the points burned on very very marginal units. People burning 8-10 points on 2 point units.

If one studies the history of points systems, you can look at what happened in Colorado when it hit this stage of point buyers, the patterns are very similar. I'm not really surprised. I would expect it to amplify, especially as neighboring states increase prices and as more proposed legislation comes forth that might change the tag allocation percentage non-residents get in Wyoming.

I expected this in total. Just hard to predict what units will have the greatest swings. And I expect it will continue for the foreseeable future. When tens of thousands of non-residents are not applying for tags, rather buying points for decades, this is an eventual outcome.

I've posted on some other threads that we should be looking at the total of points buyers and at what level of points they have, not just the prior year draw odds. In some years we have more people buying points at every point level than we have actual applicants at those points levels. When all those points buyers decide it is time to pull the trigger, as they are now doing in Wyoming, this is not an unexpected outcome.

It can be a bummer. Me and a friend were one point above what was needed last year in a low-point unit. I expected a jump, but thought we would be on the cusp this year, even being a full point ahead based on last year. Nope, in the special draw it jumped two full points, putting us a point behind, rather than a point to spare. Our situation is not uncommon. As a result, folks jump in with two or three points to spare, just to make sure they draw. That creates even more point creep.

Summary of all that typing - We have more non-residents buying points than applying for tags, in many instances. Expect even more point creep as those point buyers start cashing in.

As a result, folks jump in with two or three points to spare, just to make sure they draw. That creates even more point creep.

Spot on, I sand bagged a little bit this year. After getting crushed by creep in 17' and 19'.

Ditch all these point systems and give me random in every state @ $150 non-refundable just to apply.
I'd be happier than a tornado in a trailer park.

A lone antelope tag for me. I guess I won't have as many things distracting me from birds. I'm tempted to not even get general tags.

Seems like point creep hit the special hard. My unit in the regular was almost the exact odds as last year, and the unit next door odds got a little better.

If one studies the history of points systems, you can look at what happened in Colorado when it hit this stage of point buyers, the patterns are very similar. I'm not really surprised. I would expect it to amplify, especially as neighboring states increase prices and as more proposed legislation comes forth that might change the tag allocation percentage non-residents get in Wyoming.

I expected this in total. Just hard to predict what units will have the greatest swings. And I expect it will continue for the foreseeable future. When tens of thousands of non-residents are not applying for tags, rather buying points for decades, this is an eventual outcome.

I've posted on some other threads that we should be looking at the total of points buyers and at what level of points they have, not just the prior year draw odds. In some years we have more people buying points at every point level than we have actual applicants at those points levels. When all those points buyers decide it is time to pull the trigger, as they are now doing in Wyoming, this is not an unexpected outcome.

It can be a bummer. Me and a friend were one point above what was needed last year in a low-point unit. I expected a jump, but thought we would be on the cusp this year, even being a full point ahead based on last year. Nope, in the special draw it jumped two full points, putting us a point behind, rather than a point to spare. Our situation is not uncommon. As a result, folks jump in with two or three points to spare, just to make sure they draw. That creates even more point creep.

Summary of all that typing - We have more non-residents buying points than applying for tags, in many instances. Expect even more point creep as those point buyers start cashing in.

This will be me and dad unfortunately. We didn't put in but will be buying points in the fall. We only have one point now and had other plans for this year already so it wouldn't have made sense to apply.

I’ll be heading to the mountains in search of deer. I’ve had enough points to draw the tag for the last five years, but work and life kept getting in the way of applying. Glad I finally put in as point creep probably would have overtaken me next year.

Applied for doe lope tags to use on the way home from elk hunting in Idaho in a unit that was 100% odds last year only to have it drop to less than 10% odds this year and more than a 10 fold increase in number of applicants

Struck out... again. Once it was pretty clear applications in all states were likely going to be up not down, I figured there was a good possibility I'd be shut out. Still disappointed but not exactly surprised either. Ahhhhhhh well.

Have the total applicants been released?

Just looked at the recap, thanks @LopeHunter. My son and I drew 4 doe tags in a unit that went from 100% draw to 50% draw, and my buck tag went from 100% to 70% . I am one grateful sob

I've spent the last 3 hours just looking at the data, there seems to be a lot of units where many "overpaid" with points, it will be interesting to see how many came in off the sidelines. I can't get their reports to easily convert to excel (inconsistent formatting) where I can summarize the data better.

After looking at the 2020 draw stats I calculated I had a 28% chance to draw both my 1st choice in type 1 and type 6 antelope (which I got lucky and did). Last year the same tags were a 93% combined chance to draw both.

Well we struck out. Upset little guy but that’s how it goes. Looking at a doe whitetail leftover but can’t find out much on the unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back