PEAX Equipment

Wyoming Range Grizz

NoWiser

Hey all,

I'm planning my first elk hunting trip (archery) for this coming September. One of the areas I'm considering are the general areas in the Wyoming Range. Being from MN I'm completely comfortable with wolves and black bears, but the grizz have me a bit concerned. Obviously there could be some straggler bears just about anywhere, but at about what point North/South does a guy have to be a bit more concerned about them and think about keeping pepper spray on him at all times? Any info I can find on their range is at least 3 years old. Have they made it down to the McDougal Gap area and south yet? I'm not saying it would stop me from hunting an area if they are present, but could change my tactics and planning slightly. I also need to know whether or not I need to lie to my girlfriend about hunting in grizz country ;)

Thanks!

If you take you're GF or anyone else along, just make sure you can run faster than they can!!!

I was considering telling my hunting partner that the most important thing he can do to prep for the hunt is to work on weights, while I practice my sprinting all summer.....

Still hoping someone has info on approximately how far south the bears have made it!

You do not have too much to worry about around McDougal gap. The occasional young boar will range that far south. One was killed a couple of years ago by a guide after it charged a moose hunter in Horse Creek. One was killed after eating sheep around Deadman and if memory serves one was mistakenly killed a few years back by a black bear hunter. That one could be just a poor memory. The Forest service "Be Bear Aware" signs keep making it further south every year. Take normal precautions and you should have a fun hunt.

As far a lying to your girlfriend, "Yes". You should be doing this already. As soon as you start telling them the truth they want to become your wife. At that point being attacked by a grizz will seem like the better alternative.

There have been bear conflicts in the McDougal Gap area, though minimal. Density is not likely to vary enough from the north end of the range to the Gap that it should influence tactics. Said another way, you'd be about as likely to run into one in the middle-southern end as the middle-northern end--possible but unlikely in both cases.

Thanks guys,

That's not necessarily the exact area I'm looking at hunting, but an easy point of reference with the road running east/west through the range there. Looks like I'll be carrying bear spray, but I won't worry too much about it.

Sounds like the chances of me meeting my end at the hands of a crazed girlfriend wielding a butcher knife while I'm listening to Elknut and practicing my calling are probably much better than meeting it from running into a bear come September.

IMO, Bear spray is for SUCKERS. Carry a side arm.... I suggest 45ACP, 44mag and up.

Oppinions vary but facts show bear spray is a more effective defense. To each his own but I'll stick wiht the spray. It can also be used to season your elk. Bonus!

I'd stick with the bear spray based on the people I've talked to that have been charged by Grizzly. I for sure wouldn't trust a 45.

IMO, Bear spray is for SUCKERS. Carry a side arm.... I suggest 45ACP, 44mag and up.

One of the dumber things I've ever read on this board.

Take bear spray, have easy access to it at all times (mine is always on my pack belt in grizz country) and know how to use it.

As far a lying to your girlfriend, "Yes". You should be doing this already. As soon as you start telling them the truth they want to become your wife. At that point being attacked by a grizz will seem like the better alternative.

HA! Post #2 of the year!

Yup, I can't afford a sidearm and my chances of accidently shooting myself are probably better than my chances of running into a bear, so I'll stick with the spray.

Here is my rationale. 45 ACP with a 10-12 round mag (it is about 2/3 the power of the 44 @50m) is plenty although it would be the minimum for me. Studies are fine but I can tell you from personal experience (having been a LE guy in a previous lifetime) that OC "Oleoresin Capsicum" effects every single specimen of each mammal differently. The first time you spray a bad actor and it does nothing to him is eye opening. If you are speaking in bear term, all it takes is for you to get the one bear that shows OC resistance and you are lunch. If you are practiced and accurate with a side arm you can at least ensure damage and hopefully the immediate deterrence of the bear. Plus, if a bear closes the distance on you and you spray OC in close proximity you will disable yourself. Not to mention wind or the difference in distances you can begin to engage at. Nothing is immune to a hole in it's chest.

It's the persons ability to put a hole in the bears chest that I question.

I'll stick with my silly little can of pepper spray. It's a lot lighter than a sidearm and has a lot better chance of hitting the target while I'm shaking like a leaf and messing my pants.

A good friend knows a guy that had a grizz encounter last year in Wyoming that resulted in the grizz dying. He was carrying a pistol grip slug gun that he had practiced with a good bit. If I remember right, he hit the grizz one time out of 4 or 5 shots and it happened to be a good hit, but it wasn't where he was aiming. A grizz can move fast and cover some ground. I don't trust my life on my ability to aim a pistol at a grizz moving through the brush at 30+ mph.

Last edited:
One of the dumber things I've ever read on this board.

Take bear spray, have easy access to it at all times (mine is always on my pack belt in grizz country) and know how to use it.

Really? You can certainly differ in your opinion but in the end if your approach goes wrong (wind, close quarters etc) you have a useless aerosol can. I will have at least 5, if not more, shots to get my point across and can use regardless of wind or proximity. I will never trust my life solely to a chemical when it is even remotely possible something the size of a bear could be resistant to it. I believe that there are interests who are very good at promoting the cause of bear spray. If it is your only option it is better than nothing, but not my choice.

I would definitely add that if you are not comfortable with firearms or don't wish to become proficient then spray would be your alternative. I guess given my state in experience and what I have seen I will always side with more fire power even if it means a few more ounces to carry.

Yup, a lot of folks on this board probably fit the category of not being comfortable with firearms. :rolleyes:

Forget the statistics that clearly show that you are safer with bear spray.

It's up to you to choose what to carry, but don't claim that a firearm is the best choice when it very likely isn't for the vast majority of people, even hunters who are very comfortable and proficient with firearms. There are a lot of folks who hunt regularly in grizz country on this board and I wouldn't call those that choose to carry pepper spray suckers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back