Wyoming precipitation

Oak

Expert
I was up in southern Wyoming on Friday and couldn't believe how tall and green the grass is. It is waist high (not as impressive if you know me ;) )! Here is a map that shows percentage of normal precipitation received the last 90 days. I hope the pronghorn horns are growing like the grass.;)

Attachments

• WYprecip.jpg
    WYprecip.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 490
So, if I shoot a little piker pronghorn on a year like this, that means I am a downstreamer, yes?

I will be right in one of those really nice blue spots, surrounded by all that green. Cool.

I think we should have a friendly wager to see which Hunttalker comes home with the biggest WY goat, as long as Eli doesn't have a tag. ;)

I'm guessing that most of the horn growth has already occurred. I believe that the size of the horns is in relation to how much reserves they had left after winter. Other animals I think benefit from this rainy weather.

I agree that horn growth is nearly done. Winter conditions affect prong and top-of-horn development, but I believe that good spring and summer conditions may have a positive effect on length, and to a lesser degree, mass. That's why I went back three months on my precipitation data.

Growth of horns by mature male pronghorns (Antilocapra americana) in Montana ceased during August when the stratum germinativum became inactive under mature sheaths. During October after the rut, growth of new horns resumed under the old horns and the stratum germinativum proliferated soft, hairy integument. Annular swellings of this integument at the tops of the bony cores produced hard-keratin tips, which aided in loosening old sheaths which were cast in November. The stratum corneum of the new horn formed a tissue layer that permitted abscission to occur.

Histologically, horn formation resembled that of skin. New horns consisted of bony cores approximately 134mm long covered by gray hairy skin and topped by cones of hard horn 20-25mm long. During December, rapid differential growth from the thickened integument at the tops of the cores extruded curved horn tips, and frontal prongs began forming approximately 50mm above horn bases. By February, prongs and hooks were nearly developed.

From March through July, hard keratin formed around the cores while skin around the bases of the cores thickened and extruded horny material distally, lengthening the horns.

O'Gara, B. W, and G. Matson. 1975. Growth and casting of horns by pronghorns and exfoliation of horns by bovids. J. Mamm., 56:829-846.

So it appears that perhaps summer conditions may cause horns to grow like the grass. Maybe the summer rains don't matter that much, but the speculation raises the anticipation, and that's what really matters. ;)

On 2 trips to N. COlorado and Wyoming I would have to say there is a ton of good bucks this year as well. Colorado dinker that was close to the road.

Attachments

• P1000861.jpg
    P1000861.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 281
But a wet summer in Wyoming also grows something else.

Attachments

• P1000891.jpg
    P1000891.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 272
  • P1000888.jpg
    P1000888.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 278
  • P1000884.jpg
    P1000884.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 276
  • P1000883.jpg
    P1000883.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 276
  • P1000876.jpg
    P1000876.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 279
I like this guy for July 12th. When is a muley done growing?

Attachments

• P1000902.jpg
    P1000902.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 272
  • P1000901.jpg
    P1000901.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 270
The real purpose for the trip:D

It is funny talking you buddy into putting that on the permit. Even funnier when after the permit and money is in the campground tube you ask what will happen if the Ranger is a little overweight:D

Attachments

• P1000868.jpg
    P1000868.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 274
probably a good year to have a 61 tag? :) Thanks for the info Oak, I have heard it has been wet in general in the west.

Ha! that camping permit is a classic. Pretty good looking critters too.

Sorry...:eek:...go ahead. That cheesehead told me first, so he should have known anyway.

I think they are about the same.;)

Don't matter, I am going to shoot the first legal buck and spend the rest of the trip drinking, eating and turning Millers scope turrets when he isn't looking. I will then give the video of Millers stellar shooting skills to Fin so he can add it to his first episode of bloopers, misses, and blunders.
Oak, you in a unit adjacent to us?? if so, party time!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back