Going to try this again, but much earlier in the process. A Wyoming NR pronghorn and mule deer combo hunt.

WVgoodguy22

Good afternoon everyone. I am going to try this again, but much earlier in the process. I appreciate all the advice last year right before the WY deer and pronghorn draw.
With my brother, cousins and Uncle heading to Idaho for mule deer in two different units and hunt dates, I was not able to participate in the ridiculous chaos of the Idaho Over the Internet tag buy system. So I am going back to my original idea of heading to Wyoming for a combination pronghorn and mule deer rifle hunt. I have 4 points for each species so that helps some, but my units available with 20% or more public land is still rather limited to about 25 units mostly north, south and east of Casper, WY.
Since I am planning on adding mule deer to the docket of a hopeful 10 day hunt, I am debating what hunt dates to go with. A Mid October hunt like around the 10th to 20th which is when my youngest brother is heading to his unit in Idaho or the last 10 days such as the 21st to the 31st of October with my uncle and cousins, so I can caravan out there with them and then turn off when I get close to my pronghorn unit. I know that the closer to the rut in Nov the more likely I will see bucks moving around checking does, etc.... so I am leaning that way, but most of those 25 units I mentioned for pronghorn have earlier dates. I also will go with the general deer region that includes my pronghorn unit or is very close to it. I know the units for both have different boundaries.
My biggest concern like before is access to these checkerboard chunks of public in those less than 30% public land units. I will have to get the county road maps, etc... somewhere before I choose which unit to go with.
I know that others have done this type hunt. Did you hunt pronghorn for the first couple days and hopefully get your buck, possibly a doe as well then go to your mule deer hunt or did you hunt deer in the morning and evening and pronghorn throughout the afternoon.
Any advice as always would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Forrest A Earnest

I’d try to pick a unit thinking that it would be more ideal for mule deer or antelope.

In areas like you’re describing, don’t over look small pieces of public that border private, such as likely looking draws/gulleys that run out into public, or pieces of property adjacent to say a pivot field.

Generally, the mule deer should be a more challenging tag to fill. I’d probably focus on that and you’ll probably find antelope along the way.

Any 3-4 point antelope unit will be a slam dunk. Find a deer hunt you are interested in then find a pronghorn tag you can draw that is within a reasonable distance.

I would hunt deer mornings, evenings, good weather days and fill in the gaps looking for pronghorn.

The year I did a Deer Antelope combo, I allotted a full 2 weeks for hunting. Weather knocked 5 days of that right out. I had 80 miles between my deer and Antelope areas. When a snowstorm ran me out of the country I was hunting deer in, I took the time to head down to the desert to hunt antelope.

Other parts of wyoming you might find deer and antelope in the same country.

Thanks everyone so far for your suggestions and thoughts. I’ll definitely take all that advice and put it in my application and hunt plans.

I’d try to pick a unit thinking that it would be more ideal for mule deer or antelope.

In areas like you’re describing, don’t over look small pieces of public that border private, such as likely looking draws/gulleys that run out into public, or pieces of property adjacent to say a pivot field.

Generally, the mule deer should be a more challenging tag to fill. I’d probably focus on that and you’ll probably find antelope along the way.
Thanks for the advice on where to look for those pronghorn and possibly low country muleys.
I was thinking the same thing about how much more of a challenge finding a 130 in or bigger 3x3 or 4x4 mule deer buck is versus a 70 in representative pronghorn buck, and focus more on that.

The year I did a Deer Antelope combo, I allotted a full 2 weeks for hunting. Weather knocked 5 days of that right out. I had 80 miles between my deer and Antelope areas. When a snowstorm ran me out of the country I was hunting deer in, I took the time to head down to the desert to hunt antelope.

Other parts of wyoming you might find deer and antelope in the same country.
The later dates have me worried about snow, but the earlier season has more chance for rain which many say could be even worse with how muddy the country roads would be for accessing pieces of public.

Any 3-4 point antelope unit will be a slam dunk. Find a deer hunt you are interested in then find a pronghorn tag you can draw that is within a reasonable distance.

I would hunt deer mornings, evenings, good weather days and fill in the gaps looking for pronghorn.
Sounds like a good plan, I don't need the famed high country mule deer experience to be satisfied on my first hunt in Wyoming. So any low or open country bucks that are so 130 or better are on my list.

You don't really get deer rut action on these hunts. Deer are often grouped up with small and medium bucks with does, and big bucks alone. I can only see 3 good antelope options at 4 points and those are in the special draw. 3-4 more that will give you a good shot at finding an adult buck fairly easily in the regular draw. I think I'd go for the average antelope units in the regular then go find a general deer after you kill a pronghorn.

Are you dead set on doing a combined hunt? Our group has hunted antelope several times over the last few years and on two of those hunts my buddy had both a deer tag and antelope tag. After watching how those hunts turned out, I would recommend splitting them up. It just seemed like he couldn't focus on one animal at the a time. Opening morning on one of the hunts we hiked back to what we thought would be a deer spot and ended up seeing the biggest antelope of the trip, but passed because we were focused on deer(which we didn't see). Why not choose one this year, then in a year or two do the other. That way you can build points on the off years and hunt twice as many times?

Are you dead set on doing a combined hunt? Our group has hunted antelope several times over the last few years and on two of those hunts my buddy had both a deer tag and antelope tag. After watching how those hunts turned out, I would recommend splitting them up. It just seemed like he couldn't focus on one animal at the a time. Opening morning on one of the hunts we hiked back to what we thought would be a deer spot and ended up seeing the biggest antelope of the trip, but passed because we were focused on deer(which we didn't see). Why not choose one this year, then in a year or two do the other. That way you can build points on the off years and hunt twice as many times?
This highlights the biggest issue with combo hunts. The classic Two Bird/One Stone conundrum. Sounds good in theory but it is difficult to pull off in practice. Don't try to cram two hunts into the timeframe for one hunt.

You don't really get deer rut action on these hunts. Deer are often grouped up with small and medium bucks with does, and big bucks alone. I can only see 3 good antelope options at 4 points and those are in the special draw. 3-4 more that will give you a good shot at finding an adult buck fairly easily in the regular draw. I think I'd go for the average antelope units in the regular then go find a general deer after you kill a pronghorn.
Yeah I would probably have to actually go into November for that. October is pre rut. What you mentioned is what I have been thinking of doing actually. I know that I can find a decent pronghorn buck in a day or two as long as I don't have any issues travelling around the unit and getting access. Then have him as camp meat while I then go after a mule deer buck.

I understand the pitfalls of having two tags for different species, especially those that usually different environments. It will depend upon how much time off I can muster to be able to go 21+ hours west. If I have a full 10 days I believe I can find a decent pronghorn buck in the first couple to 3 days, put him on ice then focus on a legal buck. If I was trying to get the biggest buck on the mountain I would only go for one tag and spend the time finding him.
I am still kicking myself in the butt for not getting a rifle deer tag in Idaho back in 2019 before they changed to their chaotic system they have now. I tagged along with my youngest brother and Dad. I have fun going after grouse and helping them out including packing out my brother's 3x3 buck. I guess I am trying to make up for that. Plus I don't know when God will bless my wife and I with a little one of our own, but when that happens I won't be able to head west at least for that season.
Thank you for your advice and thoughts on the matter. I have points in other states as well, although I didn't get many last year since I am now married and those non refundable non resident licenses to just buy points adds up. $160 for an AZ license I won't use that year, $90 for Colorado, etc....

I would highly recommend looking at CWD saturation % in the deer in those areas to make sure you know what you’re potentially getting into.

I opted to just do antelope tags and double down for doe tags in a different area. I punted deer tags to next year and better areas where we can focus on deer.

I would highly recommend looking at CWD saturation % in the deer in those areas to make sure you know what you’re potentially getting into.

I opted to just do antelope tags and double down for doe tags in a different area. I punted deer tags to next year and better areas where we can focus on deer.
Thanks I will definitely have to check that out. Thanks for the reminder on that.

I have thought of that as well to make it more worth the drive out there for the amount of meat I can potentially bring home vs the fuel cost to get out there among other costs. A non resident doe antelope tag is only $34.

We do combo hunts all the time in WY for Deer and Antelope. It's a fun hunt and your always into something. I would not worry about it too much. Pick a time period that works and have fun.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back