Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming mule deer 2005

BuzzH

I hate long winded stories, but this one is pretty good.

My buddy Doug and I have been hunting together for almost 20 years and one of our goals has been to take good mule deer. Doug has tried harder to kill a good buck mule deer than anyone I personally know, but just was never quite able to put it together.

Last year Doug moved to Wyoming and while waiting to gain residency he helped me take my best ever mule deer. I told him that night that the next big buck we found was his, no questions asked.

Sunday my wife and I located a real good buck and as luck would have it Doug as camped within a mile of where we saw it. I left a note in his truck that we'd seen a buck that I felt would score between 185-200. We had agreed to meet on Sunday night and hike in for a week of hunting. Doug and I met at my house Sunday afternoon and I told him where we'd seen the buck. He was crushed...as that morning he'd been within 1/4 mile of it but had been glassing a different area. We grabbed our stuff and hiked into the hunting area that night hopeing to find that buck. No luck. Next morning...no luck again. Monday night we again hunted the same area and as soon as we got to our glassing spot I glassed up the buck. He had fed out early and we planned a stalk that took us over an hour and most of that hour was spent crawling on our hands and knees and the last 200 yards on our bellies. Doug set up for the shot, I ranged it, told him the distance. I told him to take his time and just squeeze the trigger. At the crack of the rifle, the buck hit the dirt. I have never been more excited in my life. Helping my best friend take an animal that he'd wanted so bad for so long is the most rewarding hunting experiences I've been part of.

What a great buck, and couldnt happen to a better friend or hunter. I can honestly say I KNOW that I was more excited than he was and also more nervous about this entire hunt than Doug was.

IMG_0578_1_1.JPG

Two very happy hunters:

IMG_0583_4_1_1.JPG

The next day we hiked back in and had another great hunting day. We spent the night and the next morning I had some luck myself:

IMG_0606_3_1.JPG

Your friend has a darn good friend....congrads & great story Buzz. Amazing character on your buddie's horns. Nice one you took also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back