PEAX Equipment

Wyoming elk is up

6 pretty bummed out guys here. We didnt draw a general tag with 1 pp. Pretty much means no elk hunting for me. We just dont know anything about any other area in another state. I would probably go in cold after some research, but I dont know if the others would.

Sorry to hear that. If I can help, send a PM. Montana has some great archery elk options if you guys like chasing bugles.

6 pretty bummed out guys here. We didnt draw a general tag with 1 pp. Pretty much means no elk hunting for me. We just dont know anything about any other area in another state. I would probably go in cold after some research, but I dont know if the others would.

Fear not, I made the decision to go to Montana two years ago not knowing any specifics. I spent some time with Google Earth narrowed down an area and went hunting. We filled 2 of three elk tags that first year. Last year we went to the same area for archery and we're in elk, then I had to call an audible for rifle. Went into an area with 2 weeks research and again were in elk.

You can do it, you've got loads of time to research.

My dad drew his LQ tag. Can't wait for October 1 to chase the bugle!

Almost as excited that my 2 oldest girls drew turkey tags this spring. Come on April10!

Goog luck to everyone.
-Cade

My group drew LQ archery tags. LONG shot too based on last years draw stats. WOOOHOOO :D

I'll be looking for a leftover somewhere to fill the freezer. Really wanted a cow tag to scout an area or 2 I wanted to burn points on next year.

Congrats to everyone who drew. It feels good when you have a hunt to look forward to so early in the year

A good reason to smile, right?

Yep, great reason to smile. Archery hunted there last year and used up all my points and had a blast. I did not draw this year (snowballs chance in hell) so plan "B" is the NM lottery!!!

My Wyo screwup!

I applied for a LQ tag for 1st choice thinking that I keep my points and get my second choice GEN tag. Well I found out that GEN tags also takes points to get so I end up with nothing to show for my 5 points. I guess you live and learn, back to Colorado!

I applied for a LQ tag for 1st choice thinking that I keep my points and get my second choice GEN tag. Well I found out that GEN tags also takes points to get so I end up with nothing to show for my 5 points. I guess you live and learn, back to Colorado!

Research is your friend. That and the special draw.

You still have your General tag, correct?

I read it that he has his points and no tag? There is no way he applied for GEN as his second choice and lost his points. There is a way to apply for GEN as a second choice and not end up with a tag.

Only if he applied in the Special draw.

Did the 2nd choice special general tag work this year? There were more 1st choice applicants than there were available tags according to the drawing odds. 468 folks had GEN as 2nd choice in the special draw, were there that many tags out there?

Did the 2nd choice special general tag work this year? There were more 1st choice applicants than there were available tags according to the drawing odds. 468 folks had GEN as 2nd choice in the special draw, were there that many tags out there?

Magazines pimped the general tag this year...probably swayed the odds a bit.

Magazines pimped the general tag this year...probably swayed the odds a bit.

Agreed. I had thought about the idea of "reaching" for a higher demand unit and have GEN as my second choice. Once I saw how hard HF was touting the GEN tag, I decided against the risk and went with a lower demand first choice.

I lucked out and will be chasing elk in October. Worth the $100 I spent on HF this last year to know what they were telling people to do, then doing the opposite.

I guess in the investment world I would be considered a "Contrarian."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back